Shellac and sun creams for a wedding!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

£Faye£

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not yet set up fully so still in the training stage but had a text from a friend who is getting married abroad. She said she had heard shellac would be her best option to last long enough to survive the wedding day and honeymoon abroad, which I agree with.

She is away for almost 3wks. However she then mentioned she had heard shellac was also bet option to survive sun creams? I was under the impression shellac and other standard enamels can be effected by sun creams and discolour or weaken, any idea????

Don't want to give false info, so if in doubt turn to SG!

Thank u

My mam had it on when she went away,it did last her the full time she was away I don't remember if it was a week or two but when she came back I put th same colour on a client and hers had faded.whether that was sun cream,sun,swimming pool,the hot tub I don't know but it had faded a lot,it still looked nice though
Xx

£Faye£;1512737 said:
Hi all,

Not yet set up fully so still in the training stage but had a text from a friend who is getting married abroad. She said she had heard shellac would be her best option to last long enough to survive the wedding day and honeymoon abroad, which I agree with.

She is away for almost 3wks. However she then mentioned she had heard shellac was also bet option to survive sun creams? I was under the impression shellac and other standard enamels can be effected by sun creams and discolour or weaken, any idea????

Don't want to give false info, so if in doubt turn to SG!

Thank u

I was always told that deet found in sun creams can make the shellac fade but I personally think that the sun and chlorine in swimming pools make them fade, although my last client had dark lava on and that didnt fade. It seems to be certain colours that fade, tropix being one of them and the pinks. X

Yes I was told deet will cause problems and being in water for longer time. I usually tell mine to apply a layer or ordinary clear top coat each day. Then creams are going on that instead the top coat tends to peel off due to heat water etc leaving shellac perfect underneath xxx seems to work for my clients x

I have two clients who are swimming instructors and they have no problems, so its not the chlorine or water. Lots of people who live in hot climates happily wear Shellac or Gel Polish with no problem. So its not the heat or sun.

Its the Deet found in insect repellent, some sun creams and aftersun creams. Deet melts plastic, so it will affect all nail enhancements and nail products except hard gel.

Our clients don't have problems with fading as such and as we are in a hot climate all year round. I would say it would be down to the chemicals in sun creams, repellents etc..

My own Shellac doesn't fade, chip or peel when I am in our pool but I do tell any "tourist" clients who are more prone to be in and out of the pool and covered in sun lotions more so than my resident clients who just go to work etc., just to wash their hands if they can when they have applied creams, lotions and potions when they come out of the pool (they are staying in vacation villas with private pools so this is more easy for them against someone holidaying on a beach sort of thing).

I have two clients who are swimming instructors and they have no problems, so its not the chlorine or water. Lots of people who live in hot climates happily wear Shellac or Gel Polish with no problem. So its not the heat or sun.

Its the Deet found in insect repellent, some sun creams and aftersun creams. Deet melts plastic, so it will affect all nail enhancements and nail products except hard gel.

You have got a point there about chlorine as one of my ladies is a swimming instructor too although she isnt always in water and hers dont fade unless she goes away on holiday. X

Latest posts

Back