Shellac application concern

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minipig007

Reaction score
Hi All,

I used to be a therapist but haven't done so for a couple of years so count myself as a consumer nowadays.
I've recently found the world of Shellac and, as a lover of CND products, I was really glad to find something that didn't harm the natural nail. I've still got my CND website access so have done my homework and know how it should be applied and removed.

I've had three applications now, all from different therapists at two different salons, and each person has buffed my nails before application. The worst was the second girl who buffed the shellac off but left some "rubble" on my nail before applying "Romantique" over the top! When i asked her about it she got very annoyed and proceeded to file into the shellac to try and remove it and then cover it up again. So, i complained and they re-did my nails for me a few days later by a more experienced therapist... who also buffed the shellac off and buffed my nails. I actually asked her, in conversation, if she needed to go on a course to apply Shellac (pretending not to know anything) and she said she had been on a course.

Am i missing something here? Why are people buffing nails for a shellac application and removal? Have they found something out through trial and error or are they applying their acrylic/gel knowledge to Shellac and not realising the difference?

I would really like your advice as i'm reluctant to go back to a therapist who doesn't apply things correctly (i'm a bit of a perfectionist and always followed my training when i provided treatments so i would normally expect the same from someone giving me a treatment).

There is no need for any sort of buffing during the shellac process at all, either before application or trying to remove it.

They are NOT adhering to the correct process, Shellac doesn't require any buffing, nor should any be done.

I wouldn't go back or advise them on the correct procedure. Xx

Seeing, capturing, creating & presenting beauty

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Unfortunately there are many salons out there buffing shellac etc off and claiming they have been on courses but clearly they haven't! I was in a salon recently where they don't use scrub fresh and they also buff the shellac off. They also had one tech who was telling clients you can have shellac top coat over any nail polish!!! You only need a manicure certificate to buy shellac and start using it so this problem will continue which is a shame as it undermines those of us who are trained and use shellac properly. The only good thing is clients will get fed up of these salons xx

Is it actualy Shellac. Its amazing how many salons are using fake or any other brand of Gel polish and claiming its Shellac.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Have you tried looking on loveshellac.com? Only technicians and salons that buy the correct products and have done the training show up on the locator x

Is it actualy Shellac. Its amazing how many salons are using fake or any other brand of Gel polish and claiming its Shellac.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

This is happening in my area. I've had 3 clients within 2 weeks come to say 'x salon' has said it's Shellac, when I know it's not. I now show them the love shellac locator with my details in to prove they are getting the correct product. It REALLY gets by back up.

Latest posts

Back