Shellac application?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezi

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to shellac, and at this stage very confused by conflicting messages about how to apply shellac.
Please can someone help me understand the shellac application process.

From my knowledge, a nail cleanser is needed (Scrub Fresh) and a nail dehydrator (Nail Fresh).

The steps are as follows:
1. Do a dry manicure
2. Apply scrub fresh to remove any impurities/oils from nail
3. Apply nail fresh to dehydrate the nail so the shellac adheres better to the nail
4. Shellac application: Base coat (10 seconds cure), colour coat x 2 (2 mins cure), top coat (2 mins cure)
5. Use scrub fresh to remove the tac at the end of the shellac application

Am I missing anything or doing anything "wrong"?

Also looking for alternative products to the Scrub Fresh and Nail Fresh....can 99% IPA be used for cleansing the nail and removing the tac? Does it make a good dehydrator too?

Look forward to hearing from you experts!

No. 5..... Scrubfresh is an absolute no no. At this point you use isopropyl alcohol.

Also, what is the difference between 70% and 99% IPA. Does it do the same job?

You want to use D-sperse for stage 5 .......scrub fresh contains acetone.

New Hi all,

I am new to shellac, and at this stage very confused by conflicting messages about how to apply shellac.

From my knowledge, a nail cleanser is needed (Scrub Fresh) and a nail dehydrator (Nail Fresh).

1. Do a dry manicure
3. Apply nail fresh to dehydrate the nail so the shellac adheres better to the nail
4. Shellac application: Base coat (10 seconds cure), colour coat x 2 (2 mins cure), top coat (2 mins cure)

Also looking for alternative products to the Scrub Fresh and Nail Fresh....can 99% IPA be used for cleansing the nail and removing the tac? Does it make a good dehydrator too?

Have you considered taking the course in Shellac? Several of the points you've listed are incorrect and could lead to service breakdown.

Have you considered taking the course in Shellac? Several of the points you've listed are incorrect and could lead to service breakdown.
I can't afford it at the moment, so I have been using this forum to understand how others are using it, but as I said, there have been conflicting messages so I am just trying to clear up my own knowledge.

What other points listed are incorrect?

Like Pure I would really recommend you do the course, didn't see any cuticle away in your method either. Try and save up for it Hun, one of the main reasons I didn't train in Shellac was due to the incorrect method that I saw by another nail tech - nail plate filing etc, however when you get trained properly you know how to apply it properly and then the results are great, I love it xx

Hi all,

1. Do a dry manicure

Oops! Meant to say that the step by steps are available on CND.com, and they are EXACTLY how I would teach it on the class x

Edit to add: You can sign up as long as you are a nail professional. Obviously we would recommend a class so you get the best out of the product. The one day conversion is amazing value and as you already have your kit this wouldn't be any extra expense to you. It'll pay for itself, rather than risk doing it on a client and not getting the results you hoped. X

Oops! Meant to say that the step by steps are available on CND.com, and they are EXACTLY how I would teach it on the class x
Thanks! :)

No need to use nail fresh on a regular CND Shellac application just Scrub fresh. This is not part of the application process. Nail Fresh is used for extensions usually ;o)

Second what Helen said, I just completed my shellac course on Sunday and definitely no need for nail fresh x

Latest posts

Back