Shellac - can you add an extra top coat once finished?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treacle44

Reaction score
Is it ok to add a second layer of top coat once you've taken the inhibition layer off the first? Have a client who has her mums funeral tomorrow :( who's nails I did yesterday. She's frantically cleaning to have everyone round after and has chipped onE. Going to redo today and thought maybe I could another top coat?

Your thoughts?

Thanks x

Last edited:
Yes you can do an extra top coat BUT she needs to protect her nails! Gloves etc

Yes I did give her an aftercare sheet but think she's so overwhelmed with everything that she didn't remember. Thanks x

An extra layer of top coat works wonders for those clients that are prone to chipping their nails.

You will need to wipe them all with Dsperse or ISP alcohol first and then you can go ahead with your top coat.

HTHs

Thank you much appreciated. Why do you do that if you don't mind me asking? Just to remove any residue? X

You need to use the D-Sperse to clean and de-grease the surface before you put anything else on the top.

Thank you much appreciated. Why do you do that if you don't mind me asking? Just to remove any residue? X

Yes, you need a clean nail to help the top coat adhere to the nails, it will also prevent trapping dirt under the top coat.

Sorry geeg, crossed posts!

Thank so much, everyone's always so helpful on here. Much appreciated :) xx

Ok, how about a client that insists on me applying a second top coat during initial application ? Am i correct in assuming there's no need to remove sticky layer before reapplying the second top coat? Swears it makes her nail stronger, I've suggested if she needs the strength a hard gel capping service would be of more benefit . but she says she doesn't want fake nails. People are so funny sometimes... :)

Ok, how about a client that insists on me applying a second top coat during initial application ? Am i correct in assuming there's no need to remove sticky layer before reapplying the second top coat? Swears it makes her nail stronger, I've suggested if she needs the strength a hard gel capping service would be of more benefit . but she says she doesn't want fake nails. People are so funny sometimes... :)

Yes, you are correct in assuming that If you are applying a 2nd coat of top coat at the initial appointment, of course, there is no need to remove the sticky layer before application of the 2nd coat.
I myself would rather have a 2nd coat of Shellac Top coat than a layer of hard gel so I don't think it is peculiar at all lol. I don't want enhancements if I can have my own natural nails either.

Latest posts

Back