Shellac client stand off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsSlim

Reaction score
I have been doing CND Shellac manicures/pedicures for 3 years now, all my clients are happy with my work and so am I, I know it's to a very good standard.

I have had a bit of a nightmare client the past few months, nails were so short, openly admits to biting, picking.

Done the odd little repair free of charge as a good will gesture, she came to have nails re done last week.

She messaged me a day later to say they were lifting on the edges, I had no time to fit her in last week as I was back to back.. So said it would have to be this morning.

She arrived and she had picked every single nail off, when I asked why she did this she said 'because they were annoying her how they were lifting on the edges'

After going back over aftercare with her she says she cleaned the sofa with a leather cleaner and didn't use any gloves, and always doing crafts with the kids..
I then said well maybe shellac isn't for you and let's call it a day or maybe try Vinylux?

She wanted to give it one more go, so did brand new set with glitter and when it came to the end she stood up and said 'ok that's great thank you'

I then realised she doesn't think she has to pay anything, I had just spend an hour re doing this set of nails, I know it wasn't my fault they came off so I said right how would you like to pay?
She just glared at me and said 'what in paying?'
I then said yes and explained why, she looked so pi**ed off but I was glad I stood up for myself!

Sorry for the long rant! 🙈

Well done you xx

I agree! Well done you!

What a cheeky bugger!!!!! 😬 well done u !!!

Well Done you, I let my friend walk out the other day and she didn't pay, I was in the understanding she WAS paying, I never said it was free!?!?
And she dint offer me a penny for her gorgeous nails. :sad:

It wont ever happen again mind, but I let it slide and have since been mad at myself for doing so.

So, hats off to you, your not running a charity, honestly, some people....

Good for you :) Hate it that people think they can take advantage!

Well Done you, I let my friend walk out the other day and she didn't pay, I was in the understanding she WAS paying, I never said it was free!?!?

It wont ever happen again mind, but I let it slide and have since been mad at myself for doing so.

Oh my goodness that's so bad!
If I do my friends nails I will do some nail art for free or some glitter but they pat full price and they know that. I will do a free set if it's their birthday.
Even my mum pays me when I do hers as she knows it's stock/my time and money.

Don't beat yourself up about it though, It can be a really uncomfortable situation but sometimes you just have to be blunt.

Dear Lord, that would be the day!
Who needs friends like that? Honestly.
Any true and decent person will pay, even when I offer a freebie as an incentive, friends always refuse to take it.
I do my Mom's full esthetic services in exchange for spa cleaning twice a week. She wouldn't have it any other way.
I have a friend who is not so well off and I know she does not treat herself beyond basic hygiene products. I have offered to pamper her in my off time and she flat out refused, claiming one day when she can afford non necessities she will be at my door.
Truth is, none of us need to deal with "friends" that are leaches. Make it clear they are a client and you are running a business.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm doing my friends for her wedding and going to do them every 3 weeks for 2-3 months up to the big day, just in gel though and its to help her grow them out. But that's on the understanding its my wedding present to her.
I've decided everyone else pays, friends and family get a slight discount or get a free set if I want to trial something or need some photos.

I have been doing CND Shellac manicures/pedicures for 3 years now, all my clients are happy with my work and so am I, I know it's to a very good standard.

I have had a bit of a nightmare client the past few months, nails were so short, openly admits to biting, picking.

Done the odd little repair free of charge as a good will gesture, she came to have nails re done last week.

She messaged me a day later to say they were lifting on the edges, I had no time to fit her in last week as I was back to back.. So said it would have to be this morning.

She arrived and she had picked every single nail off, when I asked why she did this she said 'because they were annoying her how they were lifting on the edges'

After going back over aftercare with her she says she cleaned the sofa with a leather cleaner and didn't use any gloves, and always doing crafts with the kids..
I then said well maybe shellac isn't for you and let's call it a day or maybe try Vinylux?

She wanted to give it one more go, so did brand new set with glitter and when it came to the end she stood up and said 'ok that's great thank you'

I then realised she doesn't think she has to pay anything, I had just spend an hour re doing this set of nails, I know it wasn't my fault they came off so I said right how would you like to pay?
She just glared at me and said 'what in paying?'
I then said yes and explained why, she looked so pi**ed off but I was glad I stood up for myself!

Sorry for the long rant! 🙈

Flippin 'eck, don't apologise for writing about sticking up for yourself! It's refreshing to read this type of thing as there are so many threads on techs being at the cacky end of the stick with payment issues.

These forums show that self respect and assertiveness skills seems to be lacking in our industry and people fall prey to the undesirables that can smell this a mile off.

Well done :biggrin:

Flippin 'eck, don't apologise for writing about sticking up for yourself! It's refreshing to read this type of thing as there are so many threads on techs being at the cacky end of the stick with payment issues.

These forums show that self respect and assertiveness skills seems to be lacking in our industry and people fall prey to the undesirables that can smell this a mile off.

Well done :biggrin:

Thank you Nicole :) x

The cheek! I wouldn't dare demand a free set! But well done for sticking up for yourself! Admittedly if she did have lifting and you were willing to REPAIR them but not REPLACE them.
I have had a similar client. I do have a clause, and I tell clients if they need a repair if will do that free of charge up to 7 days. And I mean a touch up, not full fingers. After that it's full price, full manicure. I had a lady that wanted to book in 7 days after her last manicure but couldn't fit her in until 10 days after.
- she was missing 4 full fingers and a few chips. She said she had been painting furniture, white spirit etc. (and of course no gloves) I re-did her a lovely new rockstar shellac and she got up said thank you. And left. I had to chase after her. It was very embarrassing.

I now make a point to all customers to point out payment before we've finished the treatments. Clients having Vinylux I suggest paying first so no smudges. And with shellac I'll say so that will be "£XX unless you want to add any nail art or glitter or anything" and I normally get "no I'll just stick with the one colour" but I know, they know they have to pay me.
Hope this helps. And don't back down of she does the same again. X

Latest posts

Back