Shellac/CND nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlytaylor1986

Reaction score
Hello, I would be SO grateful if people could tell me the nail polish colour that is the closest match to the following Shellac colours, as I want to offer nail polish for the toes if they have shellac on their hands:

Rubble
Rock Royalty
Hot Pop Pink
Cocoa
Fedora
Blackpool
Tropix
Wildfire
Strawberry Smoothie
Decadence
and what ones for French Polish?

Thanks in advance :)

Creative did a range nail enamels which had the same names as the shellac colours. I assume they were a match but I do not know for sure.

They have brought out a different range now with different names but there is a chart which shows you how to match up with the original colours. CND have a chart on their website: Not sure how accurate this is though.

http://www.cnd.com/products/pdf/4381_Colour Compar_Rev.pdf

They don't have all the Shellac Colours on that but from your list:

Hot Pop Pink = Taffy Pink
Cocoa = Desert Suede
Fedora = Raisin in the Sun
Wildfire = Rouge Red
Decedance = Indian Rhubarb + Copper Pearl

You don't say what colours you use for french but cream puff, neglige and romantique are on the list.

As i say I've no idea if they are a true match.
I don't know why CND changed the polish range.
Seems like a daft move as would have been a good retail line for
touch ups/ matching toes to have all shellac colours with the same names.

Creative did a range nail enamels which had the same names as the shellac colours. I assume they were a match but I do not know for sure.

They have brought out a different range now with different names but there is a chart which shows you how to match up with the original colours. CND have a chart on their website: Not sure how accurate this is though.

http://www.cnd.com/products/pdf/4381_Colour Compar_Rev.pdf

They don't have all the Shellac Colours on that but from your list:

Hot Pop Pink = Taffy Pink
Cocoa = Desert Suede
Fedora = Raisin in the Sun
Wildfire = Rouge Red
Decedance = Indian Rhubarb + Copper Pearl

You don't say what colours you use for french but cream puff, neglige and romantique are on the list.

As i say I've no idea if they are a true match.
I don't know why CND changed the polish range.

Never new this existed!

Thankyou :)

oooh thats so handy. Thanks for that. Don't know why they can't just do nail enamel to match the shellac colours anyway?

Once you are a trained CND Shellac professional you can go onto CND.com and register, this will get you into the professional part which has loads of fantastic tips, videos, PDF files of layering and loads of other information.
So well worth joining :hug:

I think I remember reading a post from Geeg (correct me if I'm wrong), in response to a similar post, and said it wasn't "daft" and that clients shouldn't need to touch up their Shellac. The whole point is to get them back every two weeks for a re-Shellac, which means more revenue for the nail professional & nicer nails for the client.

As for the matching toes... why not try to sell shellac on their toes too? Push the benefits... Like not having to wear flip flops after the appointment, lasting shine etc. It'll last longer on toes too, and as toenail growth is slower than finger nails they will not need a re-shellac appointment to deal with the regrowth area quite as soon as finger nails.

If price is the reason for them wanting polish only; perhaps offer a combined saving? It may be better for your profit margin for the service anyway, if you have to buy the polish and pay for postage etc :) just a thought x

The fact that CND have produced matching charts for Shellac shows that there is a legitimate demand. If colours such as fedora / raisin in the sun etc. are a true likeness why not call them the same thing? That is what is daft.

I am not a beauty tech myself, but I'm just interested in setting up a small beauty business and found Salon Geek when I was researching the different types of training and nail systems.
I would ideally love clients who return every 2 weeks with perfect nails and happily pay for shellac mani + pedi.
Does that happen often? :D

Once you are a trained CND Shellac professional you can go onto CND.com and register, this will get you into the professional part which has loads of fantastic tips, videos, PDF files of layering and loads of other information.
So well worth joining :hug:

I must make more use of this, I registered ages ago but have yet to have a proper nose around :)

The fact that CND have produced matching charts for Shellac shows that there is a legitimate demand. If colours such as fedora / raisin in the sun etc. are a true likeness why not call them the same thing? That is what is daft.

I am not a beauty tech myself, but I'm just interested in setting up a small beauty business and found Salon Geek when I was researching the different types of training and nail systems.
I would ideally love clients who return every 2 weeks with perfect nails and happily pay for shellac mani + pedi.
Does that happen often? :D

Just to point out (just me being a pedant lol), the chart isn't for Shellac. It's to match the vintage CND enamels to their new colour & effects range.

Edit; oh wait, sorry, I was looking at the first link! Too many tabs open >.< apologies...

As for the naming convention, we can only speculate, but perhaps they were renamed to be more descriptive? Now as far as I know, a Fedora is a type of hat, which can be virtually any colour. Great, what colour does that mean? "Raisin in the Sun" - I'm thinking dark brown, like a raisin. Maybe this is just me noticing this as I have such a dislike of OPIs nomenclature!

Well... That's the aim! It all depends on the value the client places on the service, and it's up to the nail professional to get the client to place a high value on the service.

I am not a nail professional (yet - I'm doing the CND Complete course after my exams are over!), but I am a Shellac client. I get my finger nails re-Shellaced every 2 weeks & toes every 4 weeks (ideal client? Hahaha) I love the fact that I can put my shoes on after my appointment with 0 fear. Even though I had the money before and loved having polished toes, I would never have bothered getting a professional polish because I would just ruin it. Let's say I spend £30 on Shellac toes, and it lasts 30 days. That's £1 per day of perfect wear. If I was to have enamel it would cost say £15. Would I get 15 days of perfect wear? No chance! Much cheaper per day for me. I explained the issue to the woman who gave me a pedicure once when I said not to bother with the nail enamel, she explained the benefits of Shellac and boy, I was sold! Upgraded there on the spot and I haven't gone back to enamel since!

Last edited:
Actually, the latter chart is for Shellac.

And Fedora is a newer name, one for Shellac. Raisin in the sun is the name of one of their polishes.

:)

Yes, Fedora is a name for an older Enamel. It is also the name for a shade of Shellac.

I meant that Fedora is not a 'newer' name at all. I remember my sister giving me for a birthday in 2006, pre-Shellac, so I'd class it as and 'old' name x

And Fedora is a newer name, one for Shellac. Raisin in the sun is the name of one of their polishes.
:)

Just to point out (just me being a pedant lol), the chart isn't for Shellac. It's to match the vintage CND enamels to their new colour & effects range.

Edit; oh wait, sorry, I was looking at the first link! Too many tabs open >.< apologies...

As for the naming convention, we can only speculate, but perhaps they were renamed to be more descriptive? Now as far as I know, a Fedora is a type of hat, which can be virtually any colour. Great, what colour does that mean? "Raisin in the Sun" - I'm thinking dark brown, like a raisin. Maybe this is just me noticing this as I have such a dislike of OPIs nomenclature!

Well... That's the aim! It all depends on the value the client places on the service, and it's up to the nail professional to get the client to place a high value on the service.

I am not a nail professional (yet - I'm doing the CND Complete course after my exams are over!), but I am a Shellac client. I get my finger nails re-Shellaced every 2 weeks & toes every 4 weeks (ideal client? Hahaha) I love the fact that I can put my shoes on after my appointment with 0 fear. Even though I had the money before and loved having polished toes, I would never have bothered getting a professional polish because I would just ruin it. Let's say I spend £30 on Shellac toes, and it lasts 30 days. That's £1 per day of perfect wear. If I was to have enamel it would cost say £15. Would I get 15 days of perfect wear? No chance! Much cheaper per day for me. I explained the issue to the woman who gave me a pedicure once when I said not to bother with the nail enamel, she explained the benefits of Shellac and boy, I was sold! Upgraded there on the spot and I haven't gone back to enamel since!

You had implied they had been renamed. I was simply saying Fedora is the name of a Shellac colour aswell as an older enamel.

I am going to save my breath and reply to a more productive thread, Im really no in this to argue.
It started out being an informative thread, thankyou ladies for the comparison charts.

You had implied they had been renamed.

Yes, I did, because the shade of enamel has been renamed to Raisin in the Sun.

Sorry, I didn't realise we were arguing! Also, accept my apologies that you do not feel this is worthy of your time.

the only reason i wanted colours to match shellac were for MY toes haha! i am just plain lazy and am fed up of having to put 2 hours aside to do my own nails. i love it on my fingernails but nail enamel lasts SO long on my toes so I thought I could cheat. Also, for someone who doesnt want shellac but likes a colour, i thought it would make sense to have a matching alternative.

thanks for your responses

Latest posts

Back