Shellac coming off in one piece

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noreenoconnor

CND Education Ambassador Cork
Reaction score
I'm having a strange problem with a few regulars of mine and I'm not sure if I should put it down to co incidence or not.

Nearly all my regular clients are coming back with 2 - 3 nails missing saying they came off in one piece. Just fell off , didn't even notice them coming off.

It can't be under curing as as I have 2 lamps on my desk and the problem is occurring on both hands , they are however plugged into an extension lead and I did recently change the extent ion lead could this be an issue?

The clients nails do look damaged as if the product has popped up in the middle and the shellac has taken that part of the nail away, also when removing the remaining shellac it comes off in one piece and there is damage on those nails too again right in the center of the nail .

I haven't changed my technique in any way and follow all cnd protocols.

The only explanation I can come too myself is my clients have gotten too used to having shellac and aren't treating them as well as they used to , I should add I've experienced no problems with my own shellac.

They are leaving it slightly longer in between appts too so I'm thinking this would put extra pressure on the nails and give the effect I'm seeing with them?

Is there anything else it could be because some of them are giving me a hard time about these lost nails , usually clients might have a few chips but not loosing whole nails . :(

I'm getting a little worried I'll loose a few regulars :(

Hi Noreen, one of my clients regularly has two nails on one hand that peel off after a week. We reckon it's either her popping pills out of blister packs or opening drinks cans. Worth having a chat with them to see what might be causing it. This client if mine sometimes comes back for a repair on the two nails in between her regular appointment but has now asked to buy the matching Vinylux so she can just paint the missing nails!

I do Jessica Geleration which I am guessing is pretty similar to Shellac. Could it be perhaps if the client has particularly oily nails it may be causing this problem? I had a lady who was a farmer and had the Geleration, they never lasted as long as she didn't wear gloves etc when working. I would guess oiliness or wear and tear. X

Ooh also forgot to add, saw a similar post and it suggested doing a double topcoat so I tried this on her last appointment to see if we could get these nails to last a bit longer x

This is also happening on clients who wear brisa lite smoothing gel or just plain shellac. It's always on random fingers how ever I have a feeling because there is damage present it is something that the client is doing

The only reason I'm worried is that it seems all if my regulars are now experiencing this so just wanted to make sure it isn't something I'm doing ?

I'm genuinely baffled

I should add these clients didn't have an issue before but were coming back more regularly

I do Jessica Geleration which I am guessing is pretty similar to Shellac. Could it be perhaps if the client has particularly oily nails it may be causing this problem? I had a lady who was a farmer and had the Geleration, they never lasted as long as she didn't wear gloves etc when working. I would guess oiliness or wear and tear. X

I don't believe there is such a thing as oily nails, do a search and you'll find a thread about it . Certain meds can stop coatings adhering but none of these clients are on meds.

I'd like to know this too. I recently posted that I did Brisa lite smoothing gel and Shellac on my mam, 2 days later, one whole nail popped off. 9 days later, most of her nails had done the same thing. I wondered if she'd done something she hadn't told me about.
But, I also did my nails using the Brisa lite and Shellac and I had three nails popped off a week later. I didn't even notice them go, just disappeared in one whole piece. Wish I knew what the problem was x

The length of the extension cable is irrelevant and won't affect the cure .

It sounds like the product is well bonded to the centre of the nail but not on the perimeter , go back to basics , check the most obvious things like the bulb life , your pep and application.

Pull back the lateral folds and make sure you scrubfresh the whole nail plate , paying particular attention to the perimeters and see if that helps.

The opposite is actually true the edge seem sealed but it seems to pop up in the centre , causing damage as it's come off? Very strange . When I take the shellac wrap off after removal the shellac is in one piece and you can see bits of nail stuck to the back of the shellac ? However when looking at them before removal there is no lifting ?

The first few people also had fissure marks on the natural nail so I find it hard to believe that those nails just fell off without them noticing , there were clear signs of pressure across the middle of the nail. But I've also had very honest clients say it's just fallen off and I do believe them ??

Also it happens on both hands and I have 2 different lamps for each hand both with newish bulbs so it can't be that surely unless I've 2 faulty lamps :(

I always give a through cleanse of the nails so I don't think it can be that either

If it were just 1 or 2 clients I would be not questioning my technique as I've had no real problems for the last two years

I'm just sat here today and it dawned on me that nearly all my clients have come back in the last few weeks with nails missing and thinking it can't be coincidence surely but trying to think what could cause it. :(

I've never had a client that I've used smoothing gel on under shellac that hasn't lost at least one nail whole. Like you say, just pops off and they don't even realise.

I put it down to the smoothing gel, as I don't have problems with shellac alone (unless it has been assisted off the nail plate)

Unfortunately I'm experiencing it with both normal shellac and shellac with brisa lite :(

It's been winding me up all day.

One of the clients who is normally very complimentary about me and the nails I do was a right cow at her last appointment and I was thinking about her today ( as I tend to re run these thing over and over in my head lol) and if just dawned on me that it's happening with nearly all my regulars and I also haven't gained any new clients in the last few months and am now wondering if this is why or is it all just coincidence I know jan and feb are usually quite anyway but I just don't know. To be fair no one has rang to complain either so I do think that these nails are falling off after 2 weeks wear

I have been finding the same with alot of my regulars who have never had any problems in the past. They all use solar oil (and I know as they buy new bottles & can also tell as their nail condition is good). I have particularly noticed more and more people saying their shellac is not lasting since around Dec onwards.
I too am doing everything the same as usual and know that my lamps are working correctly etc.
I actually ordered some gelish to try it out as a test and it is lasting much longer than shellac. I am beginning to wonder if they have changed any ingredients? But seriously thinking now of getting a second line in either gelish or calgel as an alternative as dont wont to lose clientelle x

Could it simply be down to the cold weather?

Ive found the same too? Very strange and annoying :mad:

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Im hoping my one client who Brisa Lite smoothing & Shellac that no longer lasts on her will see a dramatic difference once I start the IBX repair/IBX on her. Otherwise I will loose her :(

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

The length of the extension cable is irrelevant and won't affect the cure .

In the first room that I rented, I had my lamp plugged into an extension cable (didn't know at the time) and had problems with lifting on most clients nails. I have had none of these problems since, and did put it down to that.
Are you sure that it wont make a difference?

I reckon it's a Winter thing. On all clients that I do since the summer Gelish lasts max 2 weeks and it used to stay 3-4 weeks easily. They don't come off in one bit but there's always a lifting on 2-3 nails each hand and clients pick Gelish off. The same applies to me. I haven't changed anything, lights are new. In a Winter nails and hands are in much worse state in general and I blame this. Oh well, more IBX clients for me as they obviously damaged them badly :D

Sent from my GT-S7500 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm having a strange problem with a few regulars of mine and I'm not sure if I should put it down to co incidence or not.

Nearly all my regular clients are coming back with 2 - 3 nails missing saying they came off in one piece. Just fell off , didn't even notice them coming off.

It can't be under curing as as I have 2 lamps on my desk and the problem is occurring on both hands , they are however plugged into an extension lead and I did recently change the extent ion lead could this be an issue?

The clients nails do look damaged as if the product has popped up in the middle and the shellac has taken that part of the nail away, also when removing the remaining shellac it comes off in one piece and there is damage on those nails too again right in the center of the nail .

I haven't changed my technique in any way and follow all cnd protocols.

The only explanation I can come too myself is my clients have gotten too used to having shellac and aren't treating them as well as they used to , I should add I've experienced no problems with my own shellac.

They are leaving it slightly longer in between appts too so I'm thinking this would put extra pressure on the nails and give the effect I'm seeing with them?

Is there anything else it could be because some of them are giving me a hard time about these lost nails , usually clients might have a few chips but not loosing whole nails . :(

I'm getting a little worried I'll loose a few regulars :(

Maybe try to look again to your prep nail stages, it needs to be dehydrated then primer then base gel and the the rest

I use cnd shellac so there is no primer used.

My prep is excellent , I push cuticles back and then use a curette to get any cuticle the eye can't see and I always scrub the nail with scrub fresh

I do have a vague recollection of nails not lasting that well last winter so it is possible because the nails have deteriorated it could be the cause. I just want to make sure it's nothing I'm doing :(

Latest posts

Back