Shellac cracking?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Princess Layla

Reaction score
Hi any idea why this would have happened? Client hasn't used anything different. I applied a konad bow and then cnd speedy top coat.
The top coat hasn't been used for a while and is quite old I thought it seemed a bit runny, so my first thought was this may have caused this! She's coming for me to redo them tomorrow. Thi pic is after removal of cnd top coat and konad.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334608161.265080.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1334608161.265080.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 686
I'd says it's the top coat that has cracked and not the Shellac.

Try to wipe it off with some non acetone remover and if that comes off, I would apply another layer of Shellac top coat to finish.

I'd says it's the top coat that has cracked and not the Shellac.

Try to wipe it off with some non acetone remover and if that comes off, I would apply another layer of Shellac top coat to finish.
I thought that so I asked her to remove it, the picture was taken after top coat removal.
:(

Did you cure each coat for the correct amount of time?

Followed each step thoroughly !
I've never seen anything like this before?!

I know fingernailfixer says on one of her videos that if you cure the base coat for longer than 10 seconds, it can cause crazing. I'm out of ideas now, I'm afraid.

I thought that so I asked her to remove it, the picture was taken after top coat removal.
:(

It really depends on the remover she used. She may not have removed it all.

When she comes in, I would still try and remove it by using non acetone remover and if that doesn't work I would lightly buff it with a sponge buffer or a 1200 grit, just to see if it is the top coat that has cracked.

I would then remove the Shellac the normal way by wrapping them off and re do them, this time don't use that top coat.

I know fingernailfixer says on one of her videos that if you cure the base coat for longer than 10 seconds, it can cause crazing. I'm out of ideas now, I'm afraid.
Me too!!
:D

It really depends on the remover she used. She may not have removed it all.

When she comes in, I would still try and remove it by using non acetone remover and if that doesn't work I would lightly buff it with a sponge buffer or a 1200 grit, just to see if it is the top coat that has cracked.

I would then remove the Shellac the normal way by wrapping them off and re do them, this time don't use that top coat.
Thanx angel will do, it's the first time I've used this top coat I usually use shiney but as it has a pink tinge it distorts the colour if the shellac slightly will have to find a new top coat! Xx

Happens with bio-sculpture as well and is always top coat light buff and another gel layer should remove the cracking

Happens with bio-sculpture as well and is always top coat light buff and another gel layer should remove the cracking
Any reason why?? Is that bio gel top coat it happens with or enamel top coat?

Thanx angel will do, it's the first time I've used this top coat I usually use shiney but as it has a pink tinge it distorts the colour if the shellac slightly will have to find a new top coat! Xx

I'm the same, I've used CND Super Shiney before without any problems, but never with speedy.

Are you wearing Shellac yourself?

Try applying speedy on one of your own nails and you'll find out soon enough. :)

I'm the same, I've used CND Super Shiney before without any problems, but never with speedy.

Are you wearing Shellac yourself?

Try applying speedy on one of your own nails and you'll find out soon enough. :)
Will do I've got shellac on, this happened after a week of wear, x

Will do I've got shellac on, this happened after a week of wear, x

I really think it's the speedy top coat over the Shellac, I wouldn't use it again, just in case.

I really think it's the speedy top coat over the Shellac, I wouldn't use it again, just in case.
No your right I won't, I've never had any trouble with shellac before this! Just applied speedy to my thumb will see what happens!

No your right I won't, I've never had any trouble with shellac before this! Just applied speedy to my thumb will see what happens!

Glad you got cracking on that straight away! (pun intended :lol:)

Let us know how you get on.

Just a thought, could she have used a nvr with acetone in it? I spilt some acetone on my nails the other day and the nails it went on have all got little cracks on them now.

Xxx

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

She said it was acetone free I double checked with her, but wick check again tomorrow!Xx

Ah no, it was cracked before I asked her to remove top coat!!

A lady came to me last week after having shellac on for 2 weeks. This was applied by another nail tech and not myself. There were cracks in quite a few of them. I thought it was maybe her nails where weak and she must have banged them causing the cracking. I have never had this happen to me on loads of nails like I saw, only maybe on 1 occassion on 1 nail when a client had banged it so this was understandable. When shellac cracks it normally cracks all the way through, although buffing and another topcoat will help it wont hold forever but just as a temporary measure its fine. X

Latest posts

Back