Shellac. Do I really need a CND UV Lamp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are numerous threads that have already been posted on here the explain exactly why you do need to use the Cnd lamp.

If you don't how can you be 100%sure that the shellac is cured? It may seem cured to the eye but can you really see that it's cured underneath?

Not to mention potential overexposure of un cured shellac to the clients, that the wattage means nothing...oh my goodness I could be here for ever and a day backing up why you need the correct lamp!

Any professional would stick to the manufacturers recommendations to use each product designed within for use for that particular service.

It is not a sales gimmick either, Cnd want what's best for you, as a professional, and whats best for your clients.

If you use the wrong lamp, and a client has a problem and you loose that client then you need to make the decision whether or not that is acceptable for you and your business.

I don't mean to be harsh in any way but as I said, a system is designed fr a reason, why wouldn't you use each recommended product?

Ok so whats the UV output on the CND lamp then?

You don't need their lamp at all, i have a lamp that i baught from sallys and it is perfect for shellac have done plenty of clients and they all lasted great!! if you'd prefer to get theirs then thats up to you but u definitely dont need one to do a good shellac. x

Running the risk of both sounding grumpy and causing offence but you are wrong :grr:. By using another lamp you risk under-curing which could lead to service breakdown and allergic reactions.

Anyone who offers gel and/or Shellac needs to red this article from Doug Schoon http://www.dougschoon.com/nailpros/article-ProBeautyAU_7-Secrets-to-Curing.pdf maybe you will all then realise the risks you run to you and your clients by using the wrong lamp.

that information is not available until the pattents go through otherwise every tom, **** and Harry could make knock off lamps couldnt they!?

Should be 36W.

Why? What will you gain by knowing?

UV output is impossible to measure outside of the lab as far as I know so how do you expect to be able to find comparable bulbs? Surely it'e easier to buy the CND lamp and bulbs...... Otherwise you are cheating your clients and probably invalidating your insurance.

that information is not available until the pattents go through otherwise every tom, **** and Harry could make knock off lamps couldnt they!?

Well I'm sure the factory they a manufactured in make a lot more than just the lamps they stamp with CND!

Don't get so worked up about people asking questions, share your knowledge nicely. Isn't that what these forums are for :irked:

Clare_11,

Sorry for all the confusion. Not all 36W UV lamps are created the same I think is the message we're trying to get across here.

Sorry i dont mean to be grumpy either but its like smacking your head against a brick wall.

People are getting worked up because this question has been asked and fully answered time and time again. Its like some people think CND have a big conspiracy going on to try and make us buy their lamp?!

To provide a Shellac service properly you need the CND/Brisa lamp. The reasons why have been explained more than enough, it is what it is x

Do you have to have trained with creative to buy their products though or can you buy from the likes of ellisons by sending them your nail certificate gained elsewhere?

Do you have to have trained with creative to buy their products though or can you buy from the likes of ellisons by sending them your nail certificate gained elsewhere?
If you have relevant qualifications you should be able to get from either.

Guys... UV output will change radically depending on the bulbs, reflective surface material used and also the bulb positioning. In fact, bulb positioning is paramount as moving the bulbs an inch up would cause a drop in UV output. Leave lamp design to the experts, leave the nails to us.

If a £100 lamp is such a show stopper, you're better off saving your cash altogether by not purchasing Shellac.

Intermixing UV lamps and UV cured products is almost exactly the same as intermixing differing liquids and differing powders. Here is a great post from Paul Bryson (R&D at OPI) on intermixing systems: http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/134193-why-there-so-many-messers-around-8.html#post1202419 that may help explain the importance a bit better than me :)

Dragging this one out of the basket will probably pee a good few of you off but I'm curious to know.....

New to using shellac, why is it only the CND lamp that cures it? What could possibly be the difference between another curing lamp (36W, 4 bulbs, 5 finger cure) that looks exactly the same minus the logo and price tag? I just don't get it :confused: I'm sure when I have had shellac in salons they have not had the CND lamp and yet the treatment worked fine and lasted 2 weeks?

i agree with you to be honest i think alot of times companys just want you to buy there stuff when its no difference. im not saying its not in this case but i think its no harm in things like this getting asked on forums so people know and small business cant always afford to buy full set ups etc.

No one makes anyone do anything. Shellac can be bought without any proof of purchase of the correct lamp. The information, facts,explanations and support have been given on here countless times.

If you have read it all and come to your own conclusion; have listened to all the advice but still not sure it is true; don't want to use the recommended lamp then, in a word, don't. Your opinions and your choice which you are allowed to have. Easy really.

Btw my opinion and my choice resulted in me having the correct lamp

Thank you Stayner, many people who ask the same question probably have the same view!

Each to their own anyway, if it turns out that a CND lamp IS required then so be it but people learn from their own mistakes so its worth first trying a lamp thats a lot cheaper to purchase, if it doesn't work then sell it on eBay and buy the CND one, simple!! I've asked about a few salons and other individual shellac users and I am still yet to find one that actually uses the CND lamp, still they have no problems with their shellac treatments but people on here do! Shellac wont last 2 weeks for every single person, thats a fact!

:green:

Hi I know nothing about nails but I'm not too bad on electronics, the lamp shouldn't make a difference but the qty and uv output would, uv bulbs have internal filters which cut out almost all the uv-b this is equiv to appx 15-30s extra daylight each day. uv-a output is higher with an average of 2 bulbs equating to 1 1/2 mins extra per day an a 4 bulbs lamp equating to nearly 3 mins extra this would be based on each bulb being 9w. If all bulbs have the same fitting (which they prob do) you should be able to use a branded bulb in a non branded lamp!

Do any of these manufactures give you the uv output of their system?

Hi I know nothing about nails but I'm not too bad on electronics, the lamp shouldn't make a difference but the qty and uv output would, uv bulbs have internal filters which cut out almost all the uv-b this is equiv to appx 15-30s extra daylight each day. uv-a output is higher with an average of 2 bulbs equating to 1 1/2 mins extra per day an a 4 bulbs lamp equating to nearly 3 mins extra this would be based on each bulb being 9w. If all bulbs have the same fitting (which they prob do) you should be able to use a branded bulb in a non branded lamp!

Do any of these manufactures give you the uv output of their system?
The bulb is NOT all there is involved,
positioning of the bulbs and reflectors will also impact on correct curing ,
UVB struggles to pass through glass or plastic or even bounce off, so reflectors are needed to increase the exposure and as fingers are curved and nails do not sit flat especially thumbs , then you need the inside of the light shaped correctly, bulb placement / lengh of bulbs and reflectors ect all to be taken into account ?

Why leave out all these important factors and skimp on penny's and waste time , energy and product trying to find another way when CND have all ready done all the ground work and made the best light for optimal 5 finger curing ,
And it accommodates feet aswell by removing the tray.

The CND lamp is very well thought out, part of the full system, not overly expensive , & seems to be no stock issues so why not just use it ?

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

Hi I think it looks like it cures but actually does it really cure each layer correctly? I'm sure if they say you need a brisa or cnd lamp then you really do need one!

I have a Brisa CND Lamp that i will be selling at the end of May as I have converted to another brand and am buying an LED. If you are interested then PM me with an offer. It is in good used condition!

The bulb is NOT all there is involved,
positioning of the bulbs and reflectors will also impact on correct curing ,
UVB struggles to pass through glass or plastic or even bounce off, so reflectors are needed to increase the exposure and as fingers are curved and nails do not sit flat especially thumbs , then you need the inside of the light shaped correctly, bulb placement / lengh of bulbs and reflectors ect all to be taken into account ?

Why leave out all these important factors and skimp on penny's and waste time , energy and product trying to find another way when CND have all ready done all the ground work and made the best light for optimal 5 finger curing ,
And it accommodates feet aswell by removing the tray.

The CND lamp is very well thought out, part of the full system, not overly expensive , & seems to be no stock issues so why not just use it ?

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

I think it's each to your own on what you believe, at the end of the day if people (not me as I know nothing about nails) are using a cheap lamp and it seems to be working without causing any harm who are we to day their lamp isn't the same spec as the cnd one? We aren't electronic experts or we'd be making a compatible lamp and selling it cheaper! Cnd won't make their own bulb and prob not the lamp either to think about it, I'm not saying it hasn't been designed for them to their spec but who's to say the actual manufacture isn't selling the same design without the logo for less?

I think it's each to your own on what you believe, at the end of the day if people (not me as I know nothing about nails) are using a cheap lamp and it seems to be working without causing any harm who are we to day their lamp isn't the same spec as the cnd one?

The lamps might 'work' and that you can physically see them 'working' but you can't see nor be 100% sure that the product has fully cured to the clients nails...therefore you do not and can not say hand on heart that it is not causing any harm!

I think it's each to your own on what you believe, at the end of the day if people (not me as I know nothing about nails) are using a cheap lamp and it seems to be working without causing any harm who are we to day their lamp isn't the same spec as the cnd one? We aren't electronic experts or we'd be making a compatible lamp and selling it cheaper! Cnd won't make their own bulb and prob not the lamp either to think about it, I'm not saying it hasn't been designed for them to their spec but who's to say the actual manufacture isn't selling the same design without the logo for less?

The attitude of it seems cured so it is is the same attitude as to why soooo many pet reptiles (snakes , lizardss tortoise ect) have died and STILL do of a slow & crippling death due to MBD ( metabolic bone disease ) in captivity due to people saving money on cheaper UV lights!

Now I realize of course that our nail clients won't get MBD as a contra-action from us, but the comparison is we cannot see UV , but it is there , so we need to stop questioning what manufactures say and start doing it!

Why would they say it is needed if it's not true ? For fun? For money? Im pritty sure shellac sales are the money makers not the lamp units or the yearly bulb replacements,
Or to limit the possible risks and to make sure there product works to it's best and has a good reputation to carry on the good name of CND and the demand for Shellac??

They prob don't make the lights or bulbs but they have put there name to it !
CND are different they formulate there own products in there labs, they test and try and research and test some more, Shellac took 5+ years before it was ready ,
Shellac is not another colored gel in a bottle, there are differences so it should not be treated like one , as there is NOTHING else like it to compare it to I for one think We should trust & listen to its creators CND ,when they say how to use it properly .

Why the need to think it's some kind of conspiracy ?

Www.lilmissbuffit.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back