Shellac Express 5 Topcoat query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolly6410

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Sorry this is a quick one as my app on my phone isn't working but I used my new Shellac Express 5 Topcoat today for the first time, I have been using shellac (CND from sweet squared) for around 2 years now and never had any real problems, but this is my first time using the Express 5 top coat and I found it to be less shiney and also when I used d.sperse at the end it didn't feel smooth, it almost felt sticky. I wiped and I wiped but still it wasn't smooth and when I put my finger over it it was almost dragging. Is there any reasons this could be happening? Do I need to do something differently to my old topcoat? Sorry back out to clients now but will reply when possible :) Thank you in advance.

Sounds under cured. Which light did you use?

Thank you for replying, sorry for the delay, it's been a long day. I used the CND LED lamp, the same setting that was used for the old top coat, number 3.

it's possible you applied it too thickly, the viscosity of the new top coat is much much thinner than the old top coat, make sure it's nice and thin for a full cure :)

Also were your fingers in the correct position ? Is it happening all nails or just one or two?

Hi! Thank you for your reply, I did nice thin coats (so easy to work with compared to the old top coat) and made sure all fingers were in the slots (the clients a regular so knows the drill when it comes to the importance of this)

were her nails long?

were all her nails sticky? or just a couple?

were her nails long?

were all her nails sticky? or just a couple?
Sorry, missed that bit on your first post, yes all sticky on both hands, with the old top coat I found it almost squeeked when you rubbed it with d.sperse and then when you put your fingers over it it was nice and smooth and your fingers just glided over it but this was a real drag and a slight stickiness. her nails are all a short length, not bitten down, just short and tidy. Thank you for taking the time to reply

hmm that is strange :)

have you had this problem with any other nails? was this the first time you used the topcoat?

hmm that is strange :)

have you had this problem with any other nails? was this the first time you used the topcoat?
This was the first time I used the top coat, maybe a little bit naive of me to do it on a client first but I didn't even think of testing it out before hand. I read all the reviews and instructions when I first got it. I'm annoyed with myself and so confused as to what's wrong. It was my only shellac today thankfully.

well there's nothing wrong with not testing it first, I've never tested a topcoat first :) who has time for that ;)

I can't see anything that's wrong with anything that your doing, it's possible you were just unlucky and got a faulty bottle , I would contact your supplier and have them test the bottle :)

hope you have a spare for your clients :)

I've used the new top coat with out any problem and love the quicker soak off time :)

It might be a simple thing but did you give it a good shake first? or do your bulbs need replacing? X

Thank you for all your help noreenoconnor, I'm going to do a few colour pops today and see it goes on them and then I'm going to phone s2 if needed, luckily I have half a bottle of old top coat as an emergency and also a new 'new' top coat ready for when I run out.

Thank you for your reply fluffy, I have the led lamp which doesn't need bulb replacement, I did have a check after if happened they are all working properly as far as I can see. I also gave it a really good long shake before I packed it in my kit and also a normal 'shellac' shake before I used it on the client. I'll give it to my dad before I use it today for a thorough man shake! fingers crossed it was just bad luck

The Express top coat applies roughly half as thick as the old one, so keep it thin and see if that improves things.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it. I have done a few colour pops this morning with my new top coat I used yesterday and my new top coat from my stock shelf and neither seem to squeek to a shine like the old one and both did drag on the lint free pad when I rubbed it with d.sperse, and again my finger did not glide over it straight after and almost felt tacky, but that was around an hour ago and I have gone back to the pops and they are fine and no problems, smooth and my finger glides over them. Suppose its just getting used to a new product. Thank you again everyone

Some great advice in this thread.

It is sounding like the product isn't curing which I have only heard about when the fingers aren't positioned properly. This happens infrequently but can happen more with the LED due to how targeted it is. However it sounds like you have taken care in that regard. Do you have the classic lamp around? Can you try the same test in that?

Mine is exactly the same, I mentioned it to the lady who works in the S2 shop when I was last there and she agreed. You're not alone.

I also noticed that once you feel it again a bit later it's absolutely fine... Strange!

I find mines like that sometimes, but better if I give it a really good shake. It's as if something separates in it, then maybe there's not enough photo initiator mixed in with it to enable a cure. I hate science, but that's my guess lol. Are you shaking?

Mine is exactly the same, I mentioned it to the lady who works in the S2 shop when I was last there and she agreed. You're not alone.

I also noticed that once you feel it again a bit later it's absolutely fine... Strange!
Snap Emily! I left if for a while and it was fine.

Latest posts

Back