Shellac - French Manicure - how do you do yours?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've done my left hand today with cream puff and romantique and then my right with DD and romantique - the white's are both as white as each other - will be interesting to see how they both wear!! Just read about Nataliya's recommendation for using the strawberry smoothie & negligee to get more coverage on the pink - this will be great to use the thinner DD's with... thanks Nataliya!!

Does anybody know what french color combo is used on the CND website? When you click on Shellac, you'll see a demo. The french nail (Goodbye weak, damaged nails) is a beautiful french nail. I just wonder what color is used for the nailbed.

Thanks, all! :hug:

Ive recieved an email today from someone whos looking for french nno on her nails and toes I have sent her a link on Shellac to look at as shes not too keen on acrylic which I normally use,heres hoping she is going to be impressed and will book,problem bein Ive only brought Tutti Fruitti for myself at the mo,so Im going to go phone and purchase french colours tomorrow incase she replies back and for the future,Ive just looked on the Sweet Squared website and Negligee is out of stock, what difference would the Romantique colour give me please ?

Last edited:
This a fab thread has really helped me as I was wondering about how to do the french, I used DD last week and loved it :lick:

I've trimmed (cut the hairs with scissors) the Shellac Cream Puff brush so that the bristles are now in a point.
It's my answer to painting french and I've done this to brushes for years.

Hey Geeks!
Totally loving Shellac!
Can I just ask what the Preparation for the nautural nail involves with this system?
I know its PEP and not PREP, but what exactly does that mean?
xxxx

I've trimmed (cut the hairs with scissors) the Shellac Cream Puff brush so that the bristles are now in a point.
It's my answer to painting french and I've done this to brushes for years.

interesting) why haven't I thought of that before? Thanks for sharing) ;)

Hey Geeks!
Totally loving Shellac!
Can I just ask what the Preparation for the nautural nail involves with this system?
I know its PEP and not PREP, but what exactly does that mean?
xxxx

P - perform a manicure, apply cuticle away, gently push the cuticle back, remove with soapy water.

E - eleminate surface contaminants

P - purify the nail, using cnd scrubfresh

;)

Hey all. So yesterday I had my first French polish shellac client in and I had an absolute NIGHTMARE doing it!
I applied the basecoat, cured for 10 secs and then I applied cream puff to the tips. It was a disaster. The White was running and no matter how much I swiped, I couldn't get a crisp smile line! I ended up having to put 3 thin coats of white on, then 2 coats of negligée and the top coat. I wasn't happy with them at all.
Can u do it like this:
basecoat
1x negligée
wipe tacky layer then do the White and swipe the smile line?
Then either another coat of negligée or just topcoat. I'm not sure whether it affects the adhesion or finish of the product if u wipe in between layers.
Any help would be great lovely people. I felt like crying yesterday. :(

Hey all. So yesterday I had my first French polish shellac client in and I had an absolute NIGHTMARE doing it!
I applied the basecoat, cured for 10 secs and then I applied cream puff to the tips. It was a disaster. The White was running and no matter how much I swiped, I couldn't get a crisp smile line! I ended up having to put 3 thin coats of white on, then 2 coats of negligée and the top coat. I wasn't happy with them at all.
Can u do it like this:
basecoat
1x negligée
Then either another coat of negligée or just topcoat. I'm not sure whether it affects the adhesion or finish of the product if u wipe in between layers.
Did you give the white a 'vigorous shake' before using it? That will ensure the consistency is perfect.

Removing the inhibition layer before applying the white isn't the correct way to do it and you 'might not' get the white adhering properly.

Can u do it like this:
basecoat
1x negligée

I think I have read here before that you are not suppose to apply the white gel right on top of the base gel.
Base gel goes first (cure), then 1 coat of sheer color like negligee (cure 2 min) and THEN you can apply the white, wipe the smile lines, cure and apply top coat.

I think instructions available on CNDs website say the same thing.

PS. Never try anything new on a client. Always practice on yourself and on friends etc. Then when you feel comfortable and the results are good, then perform the service on a client :)

I read that too Anna... I believe they only state that 'if' you're using alcohol on your detailing brush so that it doesn't interfere with the base coat. I used my Brisa gel brush to detail my smile and used it 'sticky' (that's how I store it, just by wiping with a clean/dry lint free pad). The client I did it on has gone 10 days so far with no problems at all :green:

OK guys can someone help me with my question. I don't do gels and know nothing about gels either, but i do have a Brisa kit which was passed down to me from another tech. I have the gel brush which comes with the kit, but its been stored away wrapped in paper towel for a long time. But this would come useful for tidying up my Shellac smiles. My questions are;

Can i still use this brush?
Does gel brushes get contaminated when not in use like L&P brushes?
What would i use to clean the brush before using it?
And what would i use with it to clean up my smile lines?

Many Thanks in advance :D

I did base coat, then white and used my old calgel brush just wiped it a few hours before with the calguard which is about the same as dispearse, (as none left when I got my shellac kit) I did'nt get my usual crisp smile either, but as the negilge is very transparent still lovely thou! next time I'm going to try negilgee first as then you can use a wet brush if you know what I mean xx

Can i still use this brush? Yes, providing it hasn't gone hard from being exposed to any UV.

Does gel brushes get contaminated when not in use like L&P brushes? No.

What would i use to clean the brush before using it? A lint free pad should be enough. If you use anything acetone based on it then the bristles can go fluffy.

And what would i use with it to clean up my smile lines? Just the gel brush with nothing else on it, unless you want to work some gel into the bristles (but remove the gel with a lint free pad afterwards, leaving the bristles 'sticky')
I found using my Brisa brush worked a treat, I wiped it on a clean pad afterwards to ensure no Shellac was on it.

As easy has that! Thankyou Sandi :hug:

I use

1 base
1 romantique
1 cream puff

For a shimmer effect try 1-2 coats of beau in place of romantique

HI :)

I have done a couple of french shellac's now.. This is what I do:

Base coat
1 coat of Negligee
Cream puff on tips
1 coat of Negligee
Top coat

I like putting negligee back over the top of it just to take away the "harsh" white look.

Seems I'm the only one that uses Clearly Pink rather than Negligee? Haha.

Base
Clearly Pink
White Tips
Top Coat

I really like the idea, though, of going over the white with another color coat to take the "bright" white away, for a softer look. I haven't had anyone ask for that yet, though. :)

So it's
Base cure

Colour cure

White - if want to detail my smile line use a dry gel Brush with nail fresh. (do I detail it while the colour still has the tacky layer)??
Cure.

Then topcoat cure.

Latest posts

Back