Shellac - French Manicure - how do you do yours?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bev Rose

Reaction score
Ok, I'm sure this wasn't covered at the Event?

When performing a french manicure with Shellac how do we do it?

Base coat
1 coat negligee
Free edge with cream Puff (tidy up smiles - with?? D-sperse or the pink bottle???)
1 coat top coat

Cure required times between coats.

Is this ok?

This would mean there is only 1 coat of Negligee in zones 2 & 3, is that ok to do?

I ask, as I have just dowen it this way today & a brand new client.

One thing I will say is - be careful with the white - go thin, or you will get ripples with the cure - I scared myself to death when this happend on 3 fingers - so I gently buffed off the white with my koala buffer & reapplied much thinner & it went ok.

Hey Bev :hug:

Strangely enough, I did my first Shellac French this afternoon lol

Basecoat
1 thin coat of white, cure 2 mins
2 x thin coats of Negligee, cure 2 mins each
Topcoat, cure 2 mins

My client didn't want a 'bright white' appearance so having 2 coats of Negligee worked really well.
I used my normal gel brush to tidy up 2 of her nails and that worked well, didn't need any liquid on the brush as the bristles were 'tight'.

The coverage from the one thin coat of white was amazing :wink2:

On Saturday they said that it was ok to have just base and top coat for clear nails.
I'm thinking you'd be ok with just the one coat of Negligee in zones 2 & 3 on your client.

I'm so glad you asked this , I will be watching to see wat is said,
I did this on my 8 year olds tiny toes , I used the romantique , negligee and cream puff and the finished result is lovely
I put on the cream puff with a paint brush , and I was really tempted to swipe it but I wasn't sure what with so left it a little wobbly lol

I too did my first french shellac today. I applied:

Basecoat
Thin coat of Negligee cure 2 mins
Thin white to tip cure 2 mins
Another thin coat of Negligee cure 2 mins
Topcoat 2 mins

Slightly different to sandi to keep a slightly crisper look to the whites.
Using my clean gel brush I swiped one nail to see how it would work. The white really was easy and crisp to apply. :D

I did my first shellac french on finger nails today...(did toes yesterday) I did ...

Base Coat

1 x negligee

2 x cream puff

Top Coat

The pic is below...they turned out nice but next time i think i will do 2 x layers of neglagee....I found that the white crinkled after curing on the first layer so i had obviously applied it too thick (easy done when your used to using a standard POW gel..I have to remind myself to "think" polish)...the second layer of white smoothed those crinkles right out...and the topgloss filled any dips from the pink/white ... mistakes are very easily rectified with this system....I just did Fedora on myself and wiped before i had applied the topgloss...i wondered why they where dull...then realized my mistake..so i just put the topgloss on anyway and hoped for the best.. perfect, shiny...you'd never know i messed up...:lol:

Attachments

• shellac french sarah.jpg
    shellac french sarah.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 177,817
Your methods are all sounding great so far ladies, spot on!

A few pointers to remember when creating French with Shellac...

CND recommend standard procedure as follows:

Perform P.E.P
Shellac UV Base Coat - cure for 10 seconds.
Negligee Colour Coat - cure for 2 minutes.
Cream Puff Colour Coat - cure for 2 minutes.
Shellac UV Top Coat - cure for 2 minutes.

The reason it is recommended to apply Negligee first and then the Cream Puff is in case you wish to detail your smile line. It is absolutely fine to do so (using a detailer brush/gel brush/well drained Nail Fresh brush)...
If you did the Cream Puff first, after the Shellac UV Base Coat, and detailed your smile line using a brush dampened with solvent (ScrubFresh/NailFresh), the solvent would effect the cured base coat possibly leading to problems with adhesion and removal. (Sandi, you used a dry brush so should be fine! :))

If your Cream Puff (or any Shellac Colour) is coming out of the lamp looking 'puckered' that's a flag to let you know you laid the Colour Coat down too thick. One coat of Cream Puff should be enough to give you a beautiful even crisp white - if it looks shadowy make sure you are shaking your bottle VIGOROUSLY before application, like a can of spay paint, this should ensure thin, even application, even with one coat.
(That said, there is no problem with doing your Cream Puff in two layers if you prefer. Two thin layers cured each for a full two minutes is MUCH better than one thick layer that will 'pucker' and not cure properly.)

It's fine to interchange Negligee and Romantique as your French pink, just depends what look you and your client desire. Negligee = slight shimmer, Romantique = creme.
Whether it's one or two coats is down you and your client's desired look.

Applying Negligee or Romantique (or indeed, Strawberry Smoothie) over your Cream Puff is a great way to get a softer looking French White.

Hope this helps folks!!
But it's sounding like you are doing great as you are ;)

Thanks Fiona... I sooo want Strawberry Smoothie.....on my list :lol:

do you cure this ponish under your brisa lamp? or just an ordinarry uv lamp? or do you need a special lamp?

do you cure this ponish under your brisa lamp? or just an ordinarry uv lamp? or do you need a special lamp?
You cure Shellac under either the old CND Brisa Lamp or the new CND Lamp...

Thank you I have the brisa lamp, going to go look at s2 now and spend some money :D:D:D

I did my first shellac french on finger nails today...(did toes yesterday) I did ...

Base Coat

1 x negligee

2 x cream puff

Top Coat

The pic is below...they turned out nice but next time i think i will do 2 x layers of neglagee....I found that the white crinkled after curing on the first layer so i had obviously applied it too thick (easy done when your used to using a standard POW gel..I have to remind myself to "think" polish)...the second layer of white smoothed those crinkles right out...and the topgloss filled any dips from the pink/white ... mistakes are very easily rectified with this system....I just did Fedora on myself and wiped before i had applied the topgloss...i wondered why they where dull...then realized my mistake..so i just put the topgloss on anyway and hoped for the best.. perfect, shiny...you'd never know i messed up...:lol:

angie, those look really, really nice.

WeeeeeeFeeeeee!!!!! What shoes are you wearing today??!!!!:D

Thanks for that detailed response. If you wanted to put the white on first and then 2 layers of colour for a much softer white would curing the based coat for 2 mins have any effect on it?

:hug: xxx

Base Coat

1 x negligee

2 x cream puff

Top Coat

Absolutely beautiful xx

just a question, if you use the Dashing Diva wrap for your french smile with shellac, am I right in thinking this in the right order?
apply dd wrap, (buff wrap slightly , clenase scrub fresh
then shellac base coat cure 10 secs
shellac negligee- cure 2 mins
another coat of negligee cure 2 mins
then shellac top coat cure 2 mins?

suzev

apply dd wrap, (buff wrap slightly , clenase scrub fresh
then shellac base coat cure 10 secs
shellac negligee- cure 2 mins
another coat of negligee cure 2 mins
then shellac top coat cure 2 mins? QUOTE

Thats exactly how I have done it, posted a pic in my album, but bear in mind they are my 11 year old daughters nails and fairly short, but I love the results.

Can anyone give me any tips on how to do french on toes, I'm okay with the big toe but the smaller ones are so small that I end up with white all over the skin, lol. I've even tried holding the brush sideways with the thinnest edge. Wondered if it would be easier to use a detailing brush instead of the brush in the bottle, any tips anyone?

Can anyone give me any tips on how to do french on toes, I'm okay with the big toe but the smaller ones are so small that I end up with white all over the skin, lol. I've even tried holding the brush sideways with the thinnest edge. Wondered if it would be easier to use a detailing brush instead of the brush in the bottle, any tips anyone?

I apply the white from where i want the smile to start and go down the nail to the free edge...working downwards...then move over a little and do the same...and again till the whole width of the free edge has been covered...i don't swipe across the nail....so i do this ||||||| across the nail tip and not this _____ ....if that makes sense...:lol:....like this http://www.salongeek.com/misc-tutorials/18091-smiles-brisa-paint-white.html

Attachments

• shellac toes amanda 004.jpg
    shellac toes amanda 004.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 55,547

I use a dotting tool to do the small toes.
Dip the tool into the product that's on the brush, then apply with the dotting tooll where you want it, much easier than using a brush on the tiny toes.
I do it this way with paint on white gel.

I use a dotting tool to do the small toes.
Dip the tool into the product that's on the brush, then apply with the dotting tooll where you want it, much easier than using a brush on the tiny toes.
I do it this way with paint on white gel.

Thanks, I use a dotting tool when doing it with brisa, but hadn't thought about doing it that way with Shellac too, doh! Must be having a blonde day.:D thanks

They look absolutely beautiful!!!!xx

Base Coat

1 x negligee

2 x cream puff

Top Coat

Latest posts

Back