Shellac / Gelish colour wheels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M00min

Reaction score
Hi all

I've finally got round to doing a colour wheel for my Shellac and Gelish colours. I've only ever done them with normal nail enamel before. Do I have to do the whole basecoat-cure-colour-cure-colour-cure-topcoat-cure or is there an easier way? I've found that Gelish doesn't "dry" in the same way as would a normal polish, but this is my first experience of gel-based products so I don't really know what to do!

The colour wheel is white, not clear, so I can't paint the underside, as has been suggested on some posts. I really want the shine to come across though!

Thanks x

For Shellac I used a normal polish base coat, let it dry, shellac colour-cure, shellac colour-cure, normal polish top coat.

It worked fine but didn't shine like it should do. I think for the next one indo I will do the same but use the proper top coat for the system.

I don't have clear one's either...but really doesn't make that much difference.
Also I don't use any basecoat on them, just colour-cure, colour cure and top coat.
Basecoat is really not needed they look fine and stay fine...and think of the pennies your be saving not using base :) xx

Fab - thanks! Looks like I've got some colour wheels to paint! x

Hi all

I've found that Gelish doesn't "dry" in the same way as would a normal polish, but this is my first experience of gel-based products so I don't really know what to do!

x

Both Shellac and Gelish need to be cured with a UV light, and don't 'dry' without this. Shellac needs to be cured with a CND lamp because of the UV output required and the Gelish can be cured with a 36watt UV Lamp..HTH

Fab - thanks! Looks like I've got some colour wheels to paint! x

I was doing my color wheels last night. I didn't not use base and used a regular top coat. The shine wasn't there, tho.

Have fun...I sure did! :)

Both Shellac and Gelish need to be cured with a UV light, and don't 'dry' without this. Shellac needs to be cured with a CND lamp because of the UV output required and the Gelish can be cured with a 36watt UV Lamp..HTH

Thanks - I've got the CND lamp. Guess I'll do the wheel one half at a time x

Hi, how did you get on?! Im waiting for my delivery and then i will be in the same situation as you! did you do half the wheel then other half?

Hi, how did you get on?! Im waiting for my delivery and then i will be in the same situation as you! did you do half the wheel then other half?

It worked out fine! I sorted all my colours into order, then cured the first colour coat on half of the wheel (didn't bother with base coat). Then second colour coat, cured, then top coat and cured. Then I repeated with the colours on the second half of the wheel.

The only thing I found was that because the colour wheel is pretty much white, many of the colours needed three coats to give a true representation. This worked out fine and I'm so glad I did it because it's so much easier to show the colours to clients. Good luck! x

Latest posts

Back