Shellac has weakened client’s nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire Stanley

Reaction score
Morning,

A client has been having regular shellac applications on her nails. Her nails used to be lovely and all of a sudden they have started breaking and splitting down the nail bed. i have given her Rescue RXx to apply daily. Can anyone help with this please? maybe something else to suggest to my client

Do you buff before application?

no i don't, as when i went on shellac conversion course we were shown not to do that as scrub fresh dehydrates the nails and no need to buff

no i don't, as when i went on shellac conversion course we were shown not to do that as scrub fresh dehydrates the nails and no need to buff

Good, that's usually the reason nails start breaking half way down the nail bed it's because the repeated buffing has over thinned the nails.

The other possibilty is dehydration from both the acetone at removal and not using Solar Oil regularly.

Has she started any new medications? activies? etc.

I did ask her that and she said all her medication is all the same. she's now retired so not doing as much as before

. she's now retired so not doing as much as before

So has she taken up gardening?
Clearing out the house?

Nails don't just start breaking by themselves, there is always a reason

not sure about that. will ask when i see her next

I would suggest her taking regular cod liver oil capsules, or flaxseed if she's vegetarian. It really does make a huge difference to combat brittleness and weakness xx

You could offer her a service like IBX to encourage some strength back into her nails, otherwise lots of solar oil for sure!

Shellac and gel polishes weaken nails on a lot of clients, they just do, esp already dry or thin nails, I tell clients to use oil continuously every day while polish is on to help combat this, and try to encourage that they only have it for special occasions or max 2 in a row, I find it’s the same with pearlised regular polishes if left on for more than a week, they tend to weaken nails,
I’ve got a new client actually booking in next week, she asked if I did shellac, I said I have a few brands inc shellac, she was adamant that we don’t use shellac as in the past it has weakened her nails and other brands haven’t, she’s done this a few times to prove difference

Unfortunately, age can also play a part in the weakening of nails.

The seasons definitely play a part in my own nail strength. Spring and summer they are long and strong. This time of year they are soft and breaking. I put at least some of that down to vitamin D deficiency but agree with others that too much continuous shellac (and removal) isn’t good for overall nail health.

Latest posts

Back