Shellac help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin8410

Reaction score
Hi all just looking for a bit of guidance.

I've been offering shellac pretty much since it began and have no problems with application on my clients but have endless problems on my own nails!

I'm right handed and most of the time my left hand stays on fine but my right hand gets lifting at the free edge within a day sometimes. All my prep is correct and I've been using hands down pads to stop any chemicals lifting them but it doesn't seem to be helping. Can anyone help with any advice if U've had the same problem? I want to be able show the colours and designs off on my nails but am having to stick with Vinylux at the moment!

Many thanks in advance!

I've not been doing shellac long but I'm finding that my right hand isn't lasting as long, I put it down to two things, firstly I use it a hell of a lot more! Secondly, I'm not very good at applying it with my left hand!! Can never get the perfect thickness. Have you tried having someone else apply it for you?

When I'm doing my nails, I do my whole left hand first (pep, base, cure, 2 colour coats, cure, top coat, cure, use dsperse) then i do my right hand. It maybe takes a wee bit longer but i can always keep my shellac on for 3 weeks plus!

If you are working as a busy therapist, this could possibly be why. What other products are you using at work? Do you do a lot of soak offs using acetone? Do you do enhancements which requires buffing and filing?

I find that when I have a busy period at work, my nails tend to not go the distance too well and I know this is a hazard of the job.

Perhaps try wearing nitrile gloves when soaking off or doing excessive filing and see if this helps.

Thanks for the replies :) I was considering having someone else apply it but the only place in my town that does shellac doesn't have the best reputation so just puts me off! I'll have to have another looks!

I've also been doing my left hand first and then my right hand as otherwise I was getting really sticky! Lol! It's def the best way of doing it on urself so thank u for the tip!

I think it must be acetone etc. I work part time as a nail tech and part time as a PA which apart from typing shouldn't have any affect I don't think. Thanks for the glove tip, I'll def try these for the removal and I will keep persevering with them!

Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Are you sealing the free edge completely? When I do shellac on my own nails, sometimes I am a bit rushed so I don't seal the edge completely and they do not last as long.

I found the same problem when I did the same as you op. So I tried prepping both hands then going as far as curing top coat then leaving it to do next hand. Wipe sticky layer off after 2nd hand top coat is cured. Worked for me and now I dont have any problems! :)

Latest posts

Back