Shellac Ingredients.....Vegan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

satinbaby

Reaction score
Hi guys.... Right please tell me this isnt the case Ive had a few vegan clients asking if the Shellac is the same shellac from crushed beetles?
Please tell me its not!

Hi guys.... Right please tell me this isnt the case Ive had a few vegan clients asking if the Shellac is the same shellac from crushed beetles?
Please tell me its not!

Hi this was asked abbot a month ago and if I remember rightly geeg said it is fine for vegans and dosnt contain crushed beetles lol :lol:X

Thank god ! Is there anywhere it says this written out like in large print so i can show them other than the ingredients on the bk of the bottle?

Please tell me its not!

Oh yes i would like to know this x

I wouldn't know because I don't use shellac but I do remember geeg saying it what may be of use to you is if you do a search on it the old post will come up and you can read geeg and others replies which may shed a bit more light on it xx

Do the search and type in shellac suitable for vegetarians and it will come up and have a read x

Shellac is a resin secreted by the lac insect and is used as a varnish for wood.

It's not the same CND Shellac that we use though, so no need for you to worry, it just has the same name. :)

Shellac Resin is NOT made from crushed beetles but is collected from trees in india where it is excreted from beetles so would be suitable for vegetarians but not vegans.

As for CND shellac as I've said in another post it is a trade name just the same as many people have a blackberry that they wouldn't think about cutting up with apples and baking in a crumble!

Having been raised by a father who was not only a Master seaman but an ammateur cabinet maker, I know allot about the original Shellac! The original Shellac I believe did contain beetles Resin and was a lacquer for preserving wood (on boats and cabinets). Shellac was replaced years ago by the newer polyurethane sealents.

The 'shellac' word eventually became used though, for any hard shiny surface, kind of like we say "Hoover" for any kind of vacuum cleaner, even when we own a Dyson or an Electrolux lol.

The word Shellac also became used as a verb, so you Shellacked something, rather like we say you "hoover" something when we really mean vacuumed something.

Now it was a genuine surprise to me that so many of you young 'uns had no idea what shellac meant as it is a common word in the USA I believe, and one I have known about and used all my life.

So in the context above ... CND named their hard shiny new product Shellac as it embodies the same qualities of durability .. long lasting shine and hardness as the original shellac product ... but of course it is not the original product and is nothing to do with the original product and does not contain beetles or any other animal products. They have just used the word (which I have to say, I love). :biggrin:

Last edited:
The only thing I am aware of now beetle related is Cochinile - sp - that is beetle related and that is a lesser used red food colouring ( I consume no animal based products - not even hair spray as it is derived from prawns) but use shellac

The only thing I am aware of now beetle related is Cochinile - sp - that is beetle related and that is a lesser used red food colouring ( I consume no animal based products - not even hair spray as it is derived from prawns) but use shellac

McDonalds used to use this in their strawberry milkshake, not sure if they still do! x

McDonalds used to use this in their strawberry milkshake, not sure if they still do! x

Are you sure about that? Do you know how long it takes to grow and gather all the many little worms it takes, then dry them, then crush them up, to make cochinile dye?? It's kind of like harvesting all the little stamens for making saffron. Hugely expensive. With all the synthetic colourants these days, I cannot believe that Macdonalds use cochinile now or ever did. Not saying the didn't ... but I do find it hard to believe.

Back on track now?

Last edited:
Are you sure about that? Do you know how long it takes to grow and gather all ther many little worms it takes, then dry them, then crush them up, to make cochinile dye?? It's kind of like harvesting all the little stamens for making saffron. Hugely expensive. With all the synthetic colourants these days, I cannot believe that Macdonalds use cochinile now or ever did. Not saying the didn't ... but I do find it hard to believe.

Back on track now?
not sure on the milkshakes and cochinle but just to add confustion mint popits (round chocolates in a box get them in england) they have Shellac listed as an ingredent as a life long vegetarian this made me say blugh !
so thats not the nail popits or the nail Shellac!

not sure on the milkshakes and cochinle but just to add confustion mint popits (round chocolates in a box get them in england) they have Shellac listed as an ingredent as a life long vegetarian this made me say blugh !
so thats not the nail popits or the nail Shellac!

Gee whizz I don't eat them but I do eat the toffee ones :eek:

McDonalds strawb milkshake are not vegetarian, last time I checked and the ingredient is a colouring but not sure exactly what it is

Are you sure about that? Do you know how long it takes to grow and gather all the many little worms it takes, then dry them, then crush them up, to make cochinile dye?? It's kind of like harvesting all the little stamens for making saffron. Hugely expensive. With all the synthetic colourants these days, I cannot believe that Macdonalds use cochinile now or ever did. Not saying the didn't ... but I do find it hard to believe.

Back on track now?

Positive. My friend did the history of McDonalds as part of business studies at college as she worked there. It's the E120 additive.

Apparently now they use beetroot juice

I was going to post a question regarding this today!! How mad is that! Thanks as I had a few worried clients there lol and I couldn't say for sure... I love mint poppets... Not anymore tho lol xx

Latest posts

Back