Shellac - is it a gel polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Hello there Geeks, Long time no speak!

I have been investigating Shellac long and hard for several months now. Some of you may recall that I am sensitive to uncured gel (different brands) and so can't wear them myself and have to glove when applying to clients.

Shellac came out as did various other brush on gel products and for a long time I didn't even 'go there' because I thought... 'more gel products = sensitivity and more painful skin reactions'.

Then I plucked up some courage and for a few months now, I have been successfully wearing Shellac with no problems. I have also brought some products and have begun practising its application and enjoying its longevity, strength and shine.

SO... when other products such as Gelish, Gelac, Gel Colour etc... are advertised as gel polishes which contain gel, what exactly is meant by 'hybrid polish' where Shellac is concerned? I know what 'hybrid' means, but does Shellac actually contain a gel formulation or does the 'hybrid' part not stem from gel at all and Shellac is rather a hybrid polish/lacquer with UV photoinitiators?

One of the reasons I ask is because I often see Shellac advertised as a gel polish.

Thanks Peeps.

Hello hun

Shellac isnt a gel polish its a uv colour coat system :) it contains no gel and it isnt a combination of gel and polish either. It is hypo-allergenic . There are some great threads on shellac which explains it all much better than i have but this is the crux of it. Also some fab shellac science videos on cnd.com and on here too.

Hth love n hugs x x x

Hello hun

Shellac isnt a gel polish its a uv colour coat system :) it contains no gel and it isnt a combination of gel and polish either. It is hypo-allergenic . There are some great threads on shellac which explains it all much better than i have but this is the crux of it. Also some fab shellac science videos on cnd.com and on here too.

Hth love n hugs x x x
Hi Happyfeet, Thanks for your reply. I used the search facility and have been trawling through various threads but it is like a jungle there lol :D and I couldn't find my answer. There is loads of fab info and I have seen some of the videos but my query regards the hybrid and gel stuff eluded me. Where did you get your info from please so I can research it.

You seem to have answered my question, but any idea on any particular threads or science vids where I can get the low down would be greatly appreciated.

This brings me to another question... is it incorrect then that people are advertising Shellac as a gel polish?

I thought shellac was a gel polish until I got told off on here!! Only because I had been told by several nail techs that it was so I took thier word for it as I belived they knew best seen as they work with it! Only the other day I was at a salon and all their price lists and web advertising call it a gel polish so its no wonder some people get mislead with shellac.
I've since learnt otherwise as I'm looking into offering a gel or power polish and have looked at threads on here and their website.

There is loads of info about shellac on here and I agree, looking through can be a bit long winded trying to find a specific answer.

I would imagine its false advertising calling it a gel but I dont know if anything could be done about it?!
I'd be interested in what people think on this?

G
Hi Happyfeet, Thanks for your reply. I used the search facility and have been trawling through various threads but it is like a jungle there lol :D and I couldn't find my answer. There is loads of fab info and I have seen some of the videos but my query regards the hybrid and gel stuff eluded me. Where did you get your info from please so I can research it.

You seem to have answered my question, but any idea on any particular threads or science vids where I can get the low down would be greatly appreciated.

This brings me to another question... is it incorrect then that people are advertising Shellac as a gel polish?

Awww i wasnt telling you off about searching hun, i just meant others have explained it much more eloquently than i have and with more scientific facts behind it :) there are loads arent there, there is one in particular im thinking off, ill go and do a little search see if i can find it :)

Yes definitely wrong for salons to call it a gel polish. Lots of people love shellac because its not a gel. Its a natural nail product and rightly or wrongly some clients dont want a gel product on their nails, they want something like polish in its ease of application, no buffing to the natural nail but with staying power and longevity! They want shellac- a uv colour coat system.

Right im off to have a look for that thread which goes more indepth than ive done.

Love n hugs x x x

Last edited:
Ok cant find the particular thread but have a look in the shellac lovers group theres a thread which explains that shellac is not a coloured gel. Hth hun x x x

G

Awww i wasnt telling you off about searching hun, i just meant others have explained it much more eloquently than i have and with more scientific facts behind it :) there are loads arent there, there is one in particular im thinking off, ill go and do a little search see if i can find it :)

No offence taken, lol.

I'm pretty sure they dropped the hybrid part to the marketing, as it was causing a bit of miscommunication.

I still see it advertised everywhere as a gel polish, but it's not.

That's excellent news that you are able to enjoy such a great product. :biggrin:

Possibly the best people to ask are sweet squared. The number of clients I get asking for "shellac gel" is ridiculous, and when I explain that it's not gel they get a bit uppity and think it's "not as good as gel". The OCD in me desperately wants to give them a science lesson but the business woman in me kind of lets them think that it's gel! (I know, I know!)

Hi

Im so glad this thread came up! Im not trained in nails - one day I hope (CND complete hopefully for Xmas lol) but my friend is a beauty therapist and has recently brought Shellac and is not actively advertising it as a gel polish/shellac gel - I keep wanting to shout its not a gel but as Im not actually trained in nails should I keep quite?

Sorry to hijack the OP thread!

x

Shellac is a power polish containing advanced technologies which allow it to be cured.

All other 'versions' are thin gels.

Nothing else is like Shellac. Only Shellac.

x

Latest posts

Back