Shellac is the base coat crucial?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgage

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am awaiting the base coat from shellac as is everyone else it seems! so i have been using a thin layer of gel as an alternative. I tested this on myself and it seems to be fine. On me Shellac lasts approx 7-10 days before 1 or 2 will chip. Some clients have been happy with their Shellac, but some have been back and it has chipped off within a couple of days. Does Shellac really last a full 2 weeks chip free?? or is the base coat absolutley crucial?? I don't know if I should cancel the clients I have booked in and wait until the base comes in, (tho I am explaining the supply problem and a lower introductory price).....am starting to question my application techniques and doubting myself!

xx

Have you actually used the Shellac with the base coat? it is a system therefore i would have thought it should be used as one? I have only had problems on clients that have very peeling nails otherwise all good x

I'm almost afraid to ask, but do you use the cnd lamp?

I find shellac lasts fine up to 14 days (even had one going 5 weeks, I almost fell dow my chair LOL), unless client has very very peeling edges, and don't take down the lenght....

my shellac always lasts 2 weeks minimum, but i have had to order gelish as i have no top coat left and was told by sweet squared that they 'may' have some this month, as 80% of my clients are now shellac i was really panicking yesterday and was quite upset as what to do next, so placed a gelish order yesterday and received it today!! im now planning to offer both to my clients when the shellac situation improves, as i understand, you have to apply base and top coat for the 14 day result, and make sure you cap the edge with each layer.
sam x

i would either wait till they have basecoat in stock or maybe look into gelish as i do many shellac and have clients last 3 weeks even 4weeks when theyve been away and its all been chip free and super shine still!
i no u feel like ur turning custom away but if they have it done and it only last 3/4days they wont be very impressed and may not want it doing again or recomend you!

Mine usually last longer than 2 weeks on my own nails and I remove it only because of the regrowth. I did manage to chip one or two nails when I first used it but once I really concentrated on capping each layer how Geeg showed us I now have no issues.

I personally don't say it will last two weeks, I do say the better my client takes care of her nails the better it will stay looking great and I recommend Solar Oil to massage in every day. I remember from when I had my nails done years ago that once I started using the Solar Oil my tech AnneVera gave me I did start being much more mindful of what I did and didn't do as of course massaging the oil in leaves you looking at your nails a lot more and noticing what they look like. That said I can't wear rubber gloves as it irritates my skin so my hands are in and out of cleaning products most days but I do wash my hands after using them and rub Solar oil in, my Shellac stays looking fab.
:hug:

Thanks for all your prompt advice! I have the brisa lamp, so I don't think it is a curing problem. I have not used the shellac base as I have never had any! One client's nails were very short so it was difficult to cap the free edge. Both clients had never had gel/acrylics etc before and I wondered if they thought they were indestructable and being too heavy handed. Are there some nails that are too "oily"? I have heard this said before but thought it was just an excuse??

I also wondered if there is any aftercare "rules" that I could give to my clients so they know not to use their nails as "tools"!

I have heard so much about gelish nails, it isn't applied in the same way though is it? It's not a hybrid, so is it applied the same as gel?

Gelish is applied very similar to shellac, thats why ive tried it, i tried today for the first time and if you can do shellac you can do gelish.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but do you use the cnd lamp?

I find shellac lasts fine up to 14 days (even had one going 5 weeks, I almost fell dow my chair LOL), unless client has very very peeling edges, and don't take down the lenght....

Yes, well I have a brisa lamp, but am happy with the curing, I don't think that's an issue. One client had short nails....difficult to cap the edges, maybe that was a reason why... Thanks for your advice not harsh at all!!

Gelish is applied very similar to shellac, thats why ive tried it, i tried today for the first time and if you can do shellac you can do gelish.

That's very interesting, can it be cured with a brisa lamp? When you say it's applied similar,...what are the differences?

Hi all

Gelish is very similar to Shellac in its application. It is a Gel in a Polish bottle, hence the name Gelish!:)

Many geeks have purchased our foundation to keep their services going whilst they wait for Shellac to come back into stock.

Application is the same regarding very very thin application, we just advise that you use a dry gel brush after curing the foundation, to remove part of the sticky residue; this helps keep the colour in place and creates beautiful sharp edges around the cuticle and sidewalls.

I hope that helps you but please feel free to ask if you need any more Gelish help!

Georgie xx

That's very interesting, can it be cured with a brisa lamp? When you say it's applied similar,...what are the differences?

Yes it can be cured with the brisa or shellac lamp or any 36watt UV lamp!
We also have the LED lamp which will shave off 15 minutes from your treatment as it cures in 10 second for foundation and 20-30 seconds per colour...

xx

Thanks for all your help....think I will look at gelish!!

Yes, well I have a brisa lamp, but am happy with the curing, I don't think that's an issue. One client had short nails....difficult to cap the edges, maybe that was a reason why... Thanks for your advice not harsh at all!!

gigi said that capping the edges was purely cosmetic and simply makes a better finish rather than being crucial to the longevity of the service.

Where can you actually buy gelish?

Not 100% certain, but I would have thought that the fact you aren't using the base coat is what is causing the chipping, and I wouldn't have thought you could compare it to how it is lasting when you are using the whole system. The base is clearly an integral part of it or they wouldn't make it x

Not 100% certain, but I would have thought that the fact you aren't using the base coat is what is causing the chipping, and I wouldn't have thought you could compare it to how it is lasting when you are using the whole system. The base is clearly an integral part of it or they wouldn't make it x

This is true. Shellac's Base Coat provides a superior adhesion layer to anchor the colour. BUT, amazingly it is also responsible for helping the quick release during removal. That's why Shellac (unfortunately for CND at the moment), is a system. It's the magic of everything together.

It is such a shame that many of you guys are trying to find solutions to this unprecedented craziness. I don't have a salon anymore, but if I did, I'd reluctantly use colour to tide my clients over to avoid mixing systems. I'd use the availability crisis to stoke the fire for support of this great innovation. What you can't have, you want even more! This has truly been "Nail Industry gossip" of the highest order. USE IT to our advantage and we have our clients talking about it even more. Shellac is not going to go away - IT'S GOING TO COME BACK - so keep championing it to your clients. It's a real bummer, but CND are working like crazy to re-stock the world.

I'm still doing my Shellac dance........

Love Mandita xx

Hi, just to bump this up as i am having the same problem, only i am using a base coat and i am using the CND lamp. I french shellac-ed my sister 5 days ago and after 3 days, 2 came off then 3 came off the day after and 2 more the day after that! So its been 5 days and they have all come off her right hand and are still in tact on her left hand and her feet- what could this be?

i have just done another set today on a new client and have more booked in for tomorrow and so i am now worrying the same will happen with them!

Just a thought but are those of you that are having problems with Shellac chipping....how thick are your layers?

Shellac should be applied in a thin coat for each layer....remember Geeg said 'Thin to win' :) I know if it's applied too thickly it can chip and I can say this from experience :eek: This applies to Gelish as well.

HTH's some of you :hug:

Latest posts

Back