Shellac is the base coat crucial?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a thought but are those of you that are having problems with Shellac chipping....how thick are your layers?

Shellac should be applied in a thin coat for each layer....remember Geeg said 'Thin to win' :) I know if it's applied too thickly it can chip and I can say this from experience :eek: This applies to Gelish as well.

HTH's some of you :hug:

Yeah this could be my problem, however its not even that my sisters just chipped, they is literally no product left on one of my sisters hands- but perfect on the other-and its not even her working hand! :confused:

Yeah this could be my problem, however its not even that my sisters just chipped, they is literally no product left on one of my sisters hands- but perfect on the other-and its not even her working hand! :confused:

The first time I used Gelish on my daughter I did it too thick and it just 'peeled' off....complete!! :) I re-did it in thin layers and have had no problem. I also did another client with Shellac, who I have done before without a problem, and 2 of her nails chipped in a couple of days. I looked and think that I 'capped' too thickly :rolleyes: I suppose I'm lucky I can see where I'm going wrong but I have to say they are the only problems I have had with either product....I love them both :)

xxxx

The first time I used Gelish on my daughter I did it too thick and it just 'peeled' off....complete!! :) I re-did it in thin layers and have had no problem. I also did another client with Shellac, who I have done before without a problem, and 2 of her nails chipped in a couple of days. I looked and think that I 'capped' too thickly :rolleyes: I suppose I'm lucky I can see where I'm going wrong but I have to say they are the only problems I have had with either product....I love them both :)

xxxx

ok i will try doing it thinner, but would you not need 2 coats of colour rather than 1 if its going on so thin?

ok i will try doing it thinner, but would you not need 2 coats of colour rather than 1 if its going on so thin?

You should be using 2 coats of colour with both systems :)

HTH's and good luck :hug:

You should be using 2 coats of colour with both systems :)

HTH's and good luck :hug:

ah ha! that muct be it then, i could have sworn i read on this somewere that u only need 1 coat and that must be why! thanks beauty zoo :hug:

Hi all

Gelish is very similar to Shellac in its application. It is a Gel in a Polish bottle, hence the name Gelish!:)

Many geeks have purchased our foundation to keep their services going whilst they wait for Shellac to come back into stock.

Application is the same regarding very very thin application, we just advise that you use a dry gel brush after curing the foundation, to remove part of the sticky residue; this helps keep the colour in place and creates beautiful sharp edges around the cuticle and sidewalls.

I hope that helps you but please feel free to ask if you need any more Gelish help!
I have both produce and I always forget to remove the foundation gel before applying colour gel. Gelish nails still intact had no complaints yet. I MUST remember to have that extra gel brush and remember this important step.
Janice x

Shellac Base Coat was back in stock at Sweet Squared today, although limited to one per customer. x :)

Latest posts

Back