Shellac issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redmorris

Reaction score
Hi all

I have not been doing nails for long-about 3-4 months. Started off fine but I have found that anyone who has had regular Shellac it has ruined their nails and they have to take a break. Obviously this is not good for business-how do you explain to your clients why their nails are basically wrecked? My own nails are dry and have awful delamination. I use solar oil religiously-and have now gone onto Rescue RX to try to speed up the healing process for my own nails. Who wants to have their nails done by someone whose nails are in a terrible state-not a good advert. I can't do my own nails until they recover now as it just peels off after a week.
I am feeling disheartened by CND Shellac and I feel my business will suffer-I have already lost a couple of regular clients. I am tempted to change to Biosculpture but am afraid to pump any more money into something that might fail. I don't want to give up just yet.
I know someone who has shellac and wears L and P-I'm thinking this is because shellac is not what it is cracked up to be and covering up the nail is the better way to go!
Does this happen to everyones nails who uses regular Shellac? Should everyone have a break from it?

This should not happen at all. I have worn shellac for years and never had any damage. Neither have my clients, their nails may be a bit dry but that is because they are not using their solar oil as suggested. How are you removing the shellac?

Hi Hannah Jane
I follow the instructions-soak it for 5 minutes for express 5 in CND nourishing remover with the wraps. I am really disappointed in this as I want to do my own nails at the very least . I wondered is it constant handwashing that does it

What do you remove the shellac with after you have soaked them?

I was really surprised when I read your post! Is it a lot of your clients or a few? Do you think it is the time of year? Are they on medication? I have had a couple of clients who cannot get on with shellac any longer but that can happen!

I have a couple of clients that don't get on with CND shellac and am currently trialling a new gel with those customers.

I've found those that have problems with CND shellac have been on medication and also are cleaners for a profession.

I have used Shellac for nearly a year now and my nails are in great health as are my clients, the only ones with problems are those that pick it off. Where do you buy your Shellac from? Is it from Sweet Squared?
I have used bio sculpture in a salon I worked in a long time ago and I liked it.

I have a had a few clients who have had dry nails after shellac and I have carried out shellac treatments for nearly 4 years now and remove them correctly, I do recommend to clients to use the solar oil but some choose not too, if the client already has dry flaky nails before shellac from experience having shellac put on is not going to help their nails at all, some clients just don't get on with shellac.

I'm sorry to say this, but if the Shellac is genuine, it's not Shellac, it's you.

I have to say, I do think some clients tell fibs about using their solar oil. Some of them even confess to having fibbed about it before. They know we're going to lecture then so they say they use it religiously where in fact they might put it on once or twice a week.

Also I wonder if your clients are going longer than 14 days, as they tend to go as long as they can bear in my opinion? And I'm not actually sure whether that would make a difference in this way, what does anyone else think?

Can you explain step by step your application &,also your removal so we can really work out what's going on?

Nearly 6 years using shellac on my clients & no damaged nails, surprised at your post, I'd get some one to one training to see what's going wrong.

Are you in anyway or form buffing the nails after removal? Even just to take the shine off

Or your cuticle pusher may be too sharp? Could you be scrapping the nail bed too much during PEP

Are you in anyway or form buffing the nails after removal? Even just to take the shine off

This is what I was trying to find out too [emoji53]

What do you remove the shellac with after you have soaked them?

I was really surprised when I read your post! Is it a lot of your clients or a few? Do you think it is the time of year? Are they on medication? I have had a couple of clients who cannot get on with shellac any longer but that can happen!
Hi hj
I use the orange sticks. I'm wondering if it's been my prep-maybe overdoing the cuticle removing. Or my removal is damaging

I'm sorry to say this, but if the Shellac is genuine, it's not Shellac, it's you.
Helpful as that is it doesn't answer which bit of me needs changing! I use genuine products

Or your cuticle pusher may be too sharp? Could you be scrapping the nail bed too much during PEP
My pusher is new so I'm wondering if perhaps it is that. I might be scrapping off too much and damaging the nail bed. Think I might nit do it on my own every time and just use cuticle remover and scrub fresh to get it off and jyst use the pusher every couple of times instead. Thank u ladies for all ur help xx
My products are all genuine.

My pusher is new so I'm wondering if perhaps it is that. I might be scrapping off too much and damaging the nail bed. Think I might nit do it on my own every time and just use cuticle remover and scrub fresh to get it off and jyst use the pusher every couple of times instead. Thank u ladies for all ur help xx
My products are all genuine.

Scrape your pusher over a file a little so it's not too sharpe and don't push too hard down.

Thank you for all your comments. To be fair it is mostly only me and one girl from work with issues so I think i will take more care with my pusher to avoid it happening more! X

Latest posts

Back