Shellac Luxe - new innovation from CND

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m just wondering if you think the experience day is crucial to go to? Would it really benefit me and my clients? I’ve just started a small business and cash flow isn’t great. I qualified about 5 months ago so trying to save money wherever possible. If I don’t go to the experience day does that mean I can’t but the products? Please help thank you xx
I wouldn't say it's crucial but it is under £50 and you do get a goodie bag included. Usually CND goodie bags are amazing may I add... I also don't think it will mean you can't buy the products, it just means you wouldn't see/get to try until they go on sale. Xx

Most companies can only guarantee a full cure if you use their lamps, so I would guess so :) CND likely have not developed and tested their products with other brands' lamps.

As far as I am aware, CND are the only company that insist it has to be their lamp - which was a big reason for many of us to steer clear of Shellac in the past, particularly because they were years behind other companies with LED. Other companies like Gelish and OPI tell you what wattage lamp, but are not so prescriptive. I have over 400 colours in OPI and Gelish for my 45 clients per week and would happily splash out and add the whole Shellac Luxe range if I can use my existing lamps. If not, I will have to pass again.

As far as I am aware, CND are the only company that insist it has to be their lamp - which was a big reason for many of us to steer clear of Shellac in the past, particularly because they were years behind other companies with LED. Other companies like Gelish and OPI tell you what wattage lamp, but are not so prescriptive. I have over 400 colours in OPI and Gelish for my 45 clients per week and would happily splash out and add the whole Shellac Luxe range if I can use my existing lamps. If not, I will have to pass again.
I was made to buy a gelish lamp in order to complete a gelish course... I already had a working UV lamp and LED and they told me I needed theirs as they cannot guarantee that the product would fully cure in either or my other lamps...

I wonder what price these new luxe products will come in at. Possibly the same, as prices rose last year?
It will be interesting to see if the EU implement the tariffs on US imports as manicure and pedicure products are on the list to be affected.
:(

I was made to buy a gelish lamp in order to complete a gelish course... I already had a working UV lamp and LED and they told me I needed theirs as they cannot guarantee that the product would fully cure in either or my other lamps...

Weird that. I’ve done 3 Harmony courses (including PolyGel) and I’ve never been told to only use their lamp.

Weird that. I’ve done 3 Harmony courses (including PolyGel) and I’ve never been told to only use their lamp.
I wanted to do polygel at the beginning of the year (didn't get change due to dates etc) and the educator my details were passed to also said I would need the lamp. Maybe different educators have different views on the lamp situation?

Sorry if this has already been asked but can we use the original cnd lamp. The UV one?

Hi, I rang S2 yesterday about this and yes we can use the original CND UV lamp to cure CND Shellac Luxe[emoji1303] 2 mins for colour and top coat. Am so looking forward to trying this!

So disapointed that ive only just found out about the shellac luxe xperience. Would love to know how it went.

I think the big question here is - What is the actual difference from the current Shellac vs Shellac Luxe?

Does it wear longer? Any other benefits vs Shellac?

If it is only no base coat and the removal aspect then is it really worth it?

Ideally to be able to sell it to clients is longer wear like other gel brands available.

Plus currently Shellac is £xxxmin without, what will the Luxe come in it?

[Moderator note: no trade prices please, thanks]

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the big question here is - What is the actual difference from the current Shellac vs Shellac Luxe?

Does it wear longer? Any other benefits vs Shellac?

If it is only no base coat and the removal aspect then is it really worth it?

Ideally to be able to sell it to clients is longer wear like other gel brands available.

Plus currently Shellac is £xxxmin without, what will the Luxe come in it?

[Moderator note: no trade prices please, thanks]
Went on the Xperience day yesterday. It removes in 60 seconds compared to 10/15 minutes.
There is 15 exclusive colours and it is only a 2 step procedure (no base) which means it reduces the treatment time meaning you can fit more clients in!

I went to the Birmingham Xperience day and it was fab.

Assuming the colour I want exist both in Shellac and Luxe, I would actually question whether I would buy the normal Shellac bottle anymore.

Removal aside - the colours I've tried so far, applies flawlessly in 2 coats, the application is incredibly thin and so far, it's been wearing better on my thin and damaged nails (overfiled due to myself), where shellac would previously peel off due, however time will tell as it's only been a couple of days.
The brush is literally genius and you can actually do the 3 swipes across the nail and be done with it (I'm usually a faffer).
Back to removal - no more trying to get rid of that last bit of sticky base coat that just doesn't want to come off the nail! :)

The only thing so far I've had a problem with is the top coat application, it's different to normal Shellac and I think I drag it on too much. I tried stamping over it last night, and the colour dragged ever so slightly over the white stamping polish, shellac never used to. However, this is my fault, as my second stamped nail turned out better when I tried to be lighter in my application and float it on more.

So far I absolutely love the product and I think anyone who is currently using Shellac should pick up a colour and top coat to try it out.

Assuming the colour I want exist both in Shellac and Luxe, I would actually question whether I would buy the normal Shellac bottle anymore.

Removal aside - the colours I've tried so far, applies flawlessly in 2 coats, the application is incredibly thin and so far, it's been wearing better on my thin and damaged nails (overfiled due to myself), where shellac would previously peel off due, however time will tell as it's only been a couple of days.
The brush is literally genius and you can actually do the 3 swipes across the nail and be done with it (I'm usually a faffer).
Back to removal - no more trying to get rid of that last bit of sticky base coat that just doesn't want to come off the nail! :)

The only thing so far I've had a problem with is the top coat application, it's different to normal Shellac and I think I drag it on too much. I tried stamping over it last night, and the colour dragged ever so slightly over the white stamping polish, shellac never used to. However, this is my fault, as my second stamped nail turned out better when I tried to be lighter in my application and float it on more.

So far I absolutely love the product and I think anyone who is currently using Shellac should pick up a colour and top coat to try it out.

That sounds awesome. Really like that the base coat comes off easily as I shruggled with that lol.

That sounds awesome. Really like that the base coat comes off easily as I shruggled with that lol.

Same lol :)

Have you not tried to stamp with Luxe? On the Xperienxe day I attended we were told that it stamps really well because it's so highly pigmented. Xx

Is the luxe shellac treatment rrp the same as original shellac or is it different please? X

Is the luxe shellac treatment rrp the same as original shellac or is it different please? X

They recommend charging the same as your normal shellac. The bottles are bigger and it’s cheaper so you make more money!

As far as I am aware, CND are the only company that insist it has to be their lamp.

Jason Williams, president of the British Society of Cutaneous Allergies said problems often arise when user mix and match components from different kits and systems and use lamps with unsuitable configurations for the products they are used to cure, believing that every UV or LED lamp is the same. “Because they unaware of the risks they choose different colours, different products from different nail systems,” he said. “The lamps provided with kits are very specific to the individual gel-polish system, so when they buy polishes from different systems the lamps don’t work as well and they’re at much greater risk.”

During the BBC Radio 4 programme he said some of the problems could be reactions to hydroxyethyl metacrylate (HEMA) and methyl methacrylate (MMA) , chemicals commonly used in acrylics, gels and gel polishes. Similar chemicals are also used in medical cement and so could cause problems later in life even if the allergic reaction goes away if the person needs joint replacement or dental work.

As Doug Schoon has repeatedly said, there is no such thing as a universal UV lamp. Also, it is not accurate for any brand to state that a UV lamp of xx Watts is suitable. The Wattage is the amount of electricity used (look at an electricity bill), and not the amount of UVA intensity that the UV lamp generates on the nails. You could test 10 different 36W UV lamps and the UV intensity generated by each one would be different (we have).

Another complication is that different manufacturers of gels and GP, use different types and amounts of photo initiators. Did the UV lamp factories in China test all these hundreds of variations?

Unfortunately, because the vast majority of nail products are private labelled standard products manufactured by gel / acrylic factories, few brands have the scientific equipment to test if their UV lamp correctly cures their products. Instead, a common technique is to apply a blob of gel to a form, cure this and remove the hard gel to see if the underside is soft. This is not scientifically accurate, because gels are hard enough to file when only 50% polymerised.

The cost to test a UV lamp with all of a companies gels and gel polishes in a laboratory, is time consuming and relatively expensive. For this reason, serious brands who understand gel chemistry tend to only offer one type of UV lamp.

So, CND is right to encourage the use of their UV lamp that is matched to their products. I would be more concerned to buy products from a company that tells me to use any UV lamp. That's potentially putting my health and career at risk from developing a lifelong allergy.

They recommend charging the same as your normal shellac. The bottles are bigger and it’s cheaper so you make more money!
Thanks so much! Sounds good to me x

Have you not tried to stamp with Luxe? On the Xperienxe day I attended we were told that it stamps really well because it's so highly pigmented. Xx

No, for normal simple, single colour stamping I don't particularly want to either. I find the faffing of masking off the nails to ensure I don't get any uncured product on the skin extremely annoying. :)
I asked my EA and she said I could also try applying a layer of Xpress5 to stamp on, however I feel the issue here lies with me not applying the top coat correctly, rather than the product.

Latest posts

Back