Shellac not lasting on myself?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claireyfairy

Reaction score
Bit of advice pls:) I'm new to shellac so not had chance to practice much. On my own nails it seems to last about a wk then starts to come away at free edge. I have very bendy nails normal polish lasts about 2 hrs! Always my left hand that goes first and I have 2children so tough on my nails so im just assuming it lasts that long cos of my nails not application what do you all think? Thanks x

It's the fact you have bendy nails and are hard on them. That IS a lethal combo for keeping anything on them.

My nails are bendy, too but if I keep them at an active length and take it easy on them, Shellac works VERY well on them.

HTH! :)

Thanks for your view makes me feel better that its not something im doing wrong! Im quite happy with it just lasting a wk as like I say polish literally lasts few hours. I assume if it was my application it would come off almost straight away? Just wondering for future if a client had same problem x

Exactly my nails, thin, bendy. And the same with Shellac - 4 days and chipping, I have more luck with gelish or gelcolor, 2 weeks when I am careful. So probably nothing wrong with your technique or product, just nails not good enough.

how long is it lasting on other people? i think its hard for us techs to have anything that lasts really long as our hands are in and out of chemicals like acetone etc, having said that i have been getting about a week out shellac on myself and ive just started with it,

dont forget everyone is different

You can put a bit of fiberglass with your first color coat to strengthen it. Might make it last longer.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

Hi, the same with me when I do a removal on a client one or two of meme just came off same or next day...;(

Shellac is designed for healthy strong natural nails. If there are any problems with your nails then you cannot expect shellac to last the full 2weeks.

When I first started out with shellac I was getting 2 weeks out of it easily. I then went onto a medication which affected my nails, because of this I was lucky to get a week before it started to chip etc. It took a while after I stopped the medication for my nails to get back to their original condition but now they are I can get the 2 weeks wear out of it again.

I agree with what souz has said though, as a tech our nails are in a lot of chemicals which can break down the shellac. So we need to take as much care when using them as possible so we don't damage our shellac. I've done it before but soon got into the hang of how to make sure my nails stayed away from the acetone etc.

If you think you need extra strength to you nails the fibreglass trick is a good one. Fingernailfixer on Facebook and you tube has a video on how to do it.

Here are the steps:

PEP nail
Size fibreglass and apply to nail trying to handle it as little as possible.
Cut fibreglass down as much as possible to free edge but leave a few mm of over hang.
Scrub base coat into the fibreglass and cure for 10 secs.
Carry on with colour coats and top coat curing each layer for 2 minutes. Obviously you can cap edge as normal but don't worry.
Wipe off inhibition layer then file down the bits of fibreglass that are poking down so mail is shaped as required.
Wipe with dsperse again to remove any dust on nail.
Apply a second top coat making sure you cap the edge this time.
Cure and wipe nails and they are done.

The fibreglass will soak off within the 10mins that it normally takes to remove shellac.

HTH xx

Mine are bendy and always breaking and with work, am lucky to get a week..week and a half out of it.

However i went on holiday and solar oiled everyday and came home and it lasted 23 days on me!!!

Thanks everyone super helpful as always! Feeling confident now that its just my bendy nails letting me down for those last few days of wear :) x

Try a seconf layer of top coat. I have resorted to this with my mums nails. She is left handed and the shellac was always chipping more on this hand. I now put 2 layers of top coat on her left hand and this seems to work really well.
xx

I would do a workshop with your supplier, they will set you on the right path

Shellac is designed for healthy strong natural nails. If there are any problems with your nails then you cannot expect shellac to last the full 2weeks.

When I first started out with shellac I was getting 2 weeks out of it easily. I then went onto a medication which affected my nails, because of this I was lucky to get a week before it started to chip etc. It took a while after I stopped the medication for my nails to get back to their original condition but now they are I can get the 2 weeks wear out of it again.

I agree with what souz has said though, as a tech our nails are in a lot of chemicals which can break down the shellac. So we need to take as much care when using them as possible so we don't damage our shellac. I've done it before but soon got into the hang of how to make sure my nails stayed away from the acetone etc.

If you think you need extra strength to you nails the fibreglass trick is a good one. Fingernailfixer on Facebook and you tube has a video on how to do it.

Here are the steps:

PEP nail
Size fibreglass and apply to nail trying to handle it as little as possible.
Cut fibreglass down as much as possible to free edge but leave a few mm of over hang.
Scrub base coat into the fibreglass and cure for 10 secs.
Carry on with colour coats and top coat curing each layer for 2 minutes. Obviously you can cap edge as normal but don't worry.
Wipe off inhibition layer then file down the bits of fibreglass that are poking down so mail is shaped as required.
Wipe with dsperse again to remove any dust on nail.
Apply a second top coat making sure you cap the edge this time.
Cure and wipe nails and they are done.

The fibreglass will soak off within the 10mins that it normally takes to remove shellac.

HTH xx

Thanks for this information huni I tried fibreglass to repair a split nail but was trying to file the free edge after base coat and it was going everywhere doh!!!

So if I do the 2 layers of colour then file this won't rip the fibreglass or effect the colour? Then I apply another top coat is that right?

Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back