Shellac not lasting!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBun1710

Reaction score
One of my clients goes through phases of her Shellac not lasting on a couple of nails.
She's come in today and every single Shellac nail has fallen off! She said she's woken up to find whole pieces in the bed, they've lifted and come off when she's worn rubber gloves, in the shower, everything she does!! They're coming off in one whole piece!!
We've tried everything with her and they're just not lasting. We've tried double base coat, base coat AND top coat before colour, primers, scrubbing extra hard with Scrubfresh, we've even tried IBX. I've interrogated her about what moisturiser she uses, hormones, supplements, shampoo...everything! And there's nothing that could be causing a problem.
Has anyone got any idea what we can try? She's upset because she wants her nails doing but obviously doesn't want to be wasting her money if they're not going to last.
HELP!!!

Are you using the CND lamp? If she has oily nail beds you can try using Nail Fresh, this works on my clients who are lift prone. However I find it hard to believe that she's woken up and the Shellac has just fallen off? What is she doing in her sleep lol??!

This makes me want to go through my client profiles for statistical purpose, but since I am not at work yet, I can try to figure out the amount of times CND Shellac peeled off my clients' nails in whole, never actually.
Almost 8 years since I started using Shellac, since I also do plenty of other treatments, I average only about 2-3 Shellac services a day. I don't take many vacations, so it's safe to say I have applied Shellac plenty! Clients run into chipping (if worn past two weeks), and other issues, (colour fading) but unless a client peels it off on purpose it doesn't come off on its own.

Are you using the CND lamp? If she has oily nail beds you can try using Nail Fresh, this works on my clients who are lift prone. However I find it hard to believe that she's woken up and the Shellac has just fallen off? What is she doing in her sleep lol??!
Yes, we use the LED lamp and have used the UV lamp in the past.
I completely believe what she's saying is true. She's got no need to make it up, plus I know her enough to know she wouldn't fib.
Will try the nail fresh though and see what happens.

This makes me want to go through my client profiles for statistical purpose, but since I am not at work yet, I can try to figure out the amount of times CND Shellac peeled off my clients' nails in whole, never actually.
Almost 8 years since I started using Shellac, since I also do plenty of other treatments, I average only about 2-3 Shellac services a day. I don't take many vacations, so it's safe to say I have applied Shellac plenty! Clients run into chipping (if worn past two weeks), and other issues, (colour fading) but unless a client peels it off on purpose it doesn't come off on its own.
I do approx 20 Shellac services a week too and have encountered chipping. I have experienced Shellac coming off in one piece on my own nails so I do know it can happen.

It's important to really shake the shellac before application and use thin coats. Shellac can peel off in one if applied too thickly. It happens when I'm doing my own nails in a hurry. Thankfully not to clients though.

It's important to really shake the shellac before application and use thin coats. Shellac can peel off in one if applied too thickly. It happens when I'm doing my own nails in a hurry. Thankfully not to clients though.
Yep, done all that. Been doing Shellac for a few years so familiar with all the standard application stuff. No problems with any other clients, just this one so I know our application is fine. This doesn't just happen with me, it's happens with the other senior therapist too.

Rachel, I have never used Nail Fresh. Is it more like a binder o more like a cleanser and dehydrator? Do you apply it or do you put it on a pad and scrub the nail? Also, does it make the soak-pff time longer?

Rachel, I have never used Nail Fresh. Is it more like a binder o more like a cleanser and dehydrator? Do you apply it or do you put it on a pad and scrub the nail? Also, does it make the soak-pff time longer?

It's a temporary dehydrator, a liquid similar to scrubfresh that comes in a small glass blue bottle and you apply it with the brush and it evaporates almost instantly, then you continue with the scrub fresh :) it doesn't effect soak-off time

I do approx 20 Shellac services a week too and have encountered chipping. I have experienced Shellac coming off in one piece on my own nails so I do know it can happen.
Only if 'peeled', it's just not possible for it to drop off.

I really want to sleep like some people seem to, they must have parties or something cos never in my 7 years have I woken to 1 bare nail, never mind 10... I feel like I'm missing out! :D

It seems likely her Shellac may have lifted & she's pulled, in which case she's either had poor aftercare or it's applied too thickly/not capped.

On problem clients I use brisa bond, this is a bonder I use in my hard gel process & this, I find, gives those problem clients much more staying power, remember to use a very thin coat & wait for it to dry fully before shellac application. x HTH

On problem clients I use brisa bond, this is a bonder I use in my hard gel process & this, I find, gives those problem clients much more staying power, remember to use a very thin coat & wait for it to dry fully before shellac application. x HTH
Can I ask at what stage do you use brisa bond and does it need cured ? Thanks

I had few clients with the same problem, 1 week maximum and shellac peeled off I tried to buff nails and even acid primer and its didn't work. its just the nails

My shellac doesn't last on me and I believe this is due to medication that I take. Lots of different medications can interfere with how the shellac or gels adhere to the nail. I did mine on Sunday and this morning I was able to peel them off as though they were stickers!! By the way I use the CND lamp and have followed all the tips received on this and other websites!

Hi do you cure the brisa?

The only time I have ever had issues is clarins hand cream.
There is something in it that makes CND™ Shellac™ and CND™Enhancements lift clean off.
Took a while for us to get to the problem stopped using the clarins and the problem stopped.
Nail fresh is a prep booster for oily nail plates.
Brisa bond should only be used with Brisa hard gel, it also needs curing in the UV or CND™ LED lamp for 10 seconds.

Could the client be applying cuticle oil to often? If applied to much could cause the shellac to lift x

I have the same issue with one of my clients. Shellac only lasts on her 4 days. After that starts to peel off. Is there anything I can apply to make the shellac stronger? Or do I need to find other brand like gelish or ink London? I really at the moment didn't want to invest and do conversion courses.

Latest posts

Back