Shellac not man enough for the job

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I trained with cnd in Shellac a few years ago and have built up my range to include glitters and ombres and now offer over 150 colour choices. and i do love it.

but then i've never used anything else in the gel polish line.

if someone has weak, wobbly nails, shellac isn't successful unless brisa lite gel is used underneath, which i charge extra for obviously. however several clients with weak nails are coming to me now saying they've had gelish or something similar before, with NO gel to pay extra for, and its been fine on their flimsy nails.

and so they opt for not having the gel, and so (as i would have predicted) the shellac chips within a week. making me look rubbish which i am not happy with.

but i can see where they're coming from tbh as why would you pay extra to have cnd shellac plus a gel for strength, when you could go somewhere else and have gelish or whatever for less money and it lasts longer.

does anybody run a line of gelish or gel 2 etc alongside shellac and how have you found it? it needs to be soak off as nobody likes being buffed to death.

I use Biosculpture for people who just can't keep Shellac on. It is tougher and you can add length with it, it's soak off but they do a UV top coat which is has to be buffed off before soaking-it's quick though and you don't have to use it as they do a range of finishing layers you can tailor them to each client.
I do charge more for this though as it's quite pricey to buy. Xxx

Hi Blossom, I run Gel II alongside Shellac.

I would be one of your clients that would not want to pay extra for something I could have for the same price that looks equally as good and lasts longer. Sorry!

I have weak bendy nails, in the past I have had Brisa under Shellac, maybe got 10 days if I was lucky. Then along came IBX, definitely made my nails feel stronger, so I was using IBX, Brisa then Shellac. I was always on the look out for something stronger mainly for myself, but always in the back of my mind that ultimately it would benefit clients that had nails like mine. I don't do extensions anymore, I only work with the natural nail.

When other techs voice their praise for other brands I usually get samples of the brand and try it on my own nails, I have not tried every brand but I have a few, I can honestly say that Gel II is by far the strongest brand I have tried, I have it on at the moment, no IBX underneath (I would normally use it) no strengthening gel just two colour coats, and two top coats because I have stamping on. I am 2 weeks and 4 days in, and have been decorating last week! Not a chip in sight. I have however been really looking after them whilst decorating, gloves, oil and hand cream.

My ladies that have made the change are finding them stronger, but they changed mainly because of Reactions colour change. Not every client wants to change, some are die hard Shellac users and that's fine.

I loved the polish on first application, but hated it on first removal, with a few tweaks (having to remind myself it's not Shellac) it's much easier now, I joined the Facebook group, as they are so helpful with any problems.

You do not buff the natural nail to apply but you have to be meticulous with cleansing, you can buff or not buff to remove (personally I buff a little) it takes a little getting used to, but I would not be without it now. Hope this helps a little x

I use shellac and I've never had wear issues such as chipping or pealing etc. The only time it's "chipped" on someone is when they've done something to cause it, for example my mum was peeling vegetables and caught her nail with the knife and pealed a chunk off.. What you could do is start using Brisa lite smoothing gel on all clients and just slightly increase your shellac service price to incorporate it so they don't feel like they are paying for an extra, because you use only the tiniest amount of brisa lite it costs pence per application so you wouldn't need to charge much more and it would be so much cheaper than investing in a whole new system.. Maybe worth a thought?
X

I've just asked the same question. ..
I've a couple of ladies that have swapped from shellac to gelish due to longevity. They went to a different salon for this, as I only used shellac and IBD.
I bought a few gelish minis with the base and top coat to trial, and I can notice the difference on my nails almost instantly.
It seems harder, and more durable, almost like thin acrylic. Although my hands get a workout with being in acetone and water, I'm still careful not to treat my nails like tools.
Only had it on for a few days, so interested to see how they wear after 2 weeks.
Loving the range of sparkly colours too!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've just asked the same question. ..
I've a couple of ladies that have swapped from shellac to gelish due to longevity. They went to a different salon for this, as I only used shellac and IBD.
I bought a few gelish minis with the base and top coat to trial, and I can notice the difference on my nails almost instantly.
It seems harder, and more durable, almost like thin acrylic. Although my hands get a workout with being in acetone and water, I'm still careful not to treat my nails like tools.
Only had it on for a few days, so interested to see how they wear after 2 weeks.
Loving the range of sparkly colours too!

canyou keep us posted as to how it performs sparkleetreats? thank you :)

I use shellac and I've never had wear issues such as chipping or pealing etc. The only time it's "chipped" on someone is when they've done something to cause it, for example my mum was peeling vegetables and caught her nail with the knife and pealed a chunk off.. What you could do is start using Brisa lite smoothing gel on all clients and just slightly increase your shellac service price to incorporate it so they don't feel like they are paying for an extra, because you use only the tiniest amount of brisa lite it costs pence per application so you wouldn't need to charge much more and it would be so much cheaper than investing in a whole new system.. Maybe worth a thought?
X

well this is a thought and i can see where you're coming from, so thank you for that :)

however if theres another product which performs as well if not better, especially on thin nails, which can be a problem, i'd rather not have to spend the time and the money boosting the natural nail with brisa lite beforehand. naturally it then takes longer to soak off because its thicker, so as well as the product cost, you're adding about 10-15 mins to the time as well.

i am in the process of increasing my shellac cost, second price hike in a year, i started way too low and speak from experience when i advise people not to make it too cheap! so hard to increase. x

Hi Blossom, I run Gel II alongside Shellac.

I would be one of your clients that would not want to pay extra for something I could have for the same price that looks equally as good and lasts longer. Sorry!

I have weak bendy nails, in the past I have had Brisa under Shellac, maybe got 10 days if I was lucky. Then along came IBX, definitely made my nails feel stronger, so I was using IBX, Brisa then Shellac. I was always on the look out for something stronger mainly for myself, but always in the back of my mind that ultimately it would benefit clients that had nails like mine. I don't do extensions anymore, I only work with the natural nail.

When other techs voice their praise for other brands I usually get samples of the brand and try it on my own nails, I have not tried every brand but I have a few, I can honestly say that Gel II is by far the strongest brand I have tried, I have it on at the moment, no IBX underneath (I would normally use it) no strengthening gel just two colour coats, and two top coats because I have stamping on. I am 2 weeks and 4 days in, and have been decorating last week! Not a chip in sight. I have however been really looking after them whilst decorating, gloves, oil and hand cream.

My ladies that have made the change are finding them stronger, but they changed mainly because of Reactions colour change. Not every client wants to change, some are die hard Shellac users and that's fine.

I loved the polish on first application, but hated it on first removal, with a few tweaks (having to remind myself it's not Shellac) it's much easier now, I joined the Facebook group, as they are so helpful with any problems.

You do not buff the natural nail to apply but you have to be meticulous with cleansing, you can buff or not buff to remove (personally I buff a little) it takes a little getting used to, but I would not be without it now. Hope this helps a little x

thank you for such a detailed and helpful reply :)

so does gel II soak off? but you buff it a little first? x

thank you for such a detailed and helpful reply :)

so does gel II soak off? but you buff it a little first? x
Yes it has an acetone resistant top coat (actually has 3 different top coats), so needs buffing first, there are some techs that have trained as educators in Gel II that are not buffing, but as I do stamping and quite often apply two top coats I prefer to buff first. (Was never a fan of this before, but it's worth it for the longevity).

You remove with acetone, cotton and foil, same as Shellac but takes a little longer, but there is no base coat to apply, so you make up the time there. x

Yes it has an acetone resistant top coat (actually has 3 different top coats), so needs buffing first, there are some techs that have trained as educators in Gel II that are not buffing, but as I do stamping and quite often apply two top coats I prefer to buff first. (Was never a fan of this before, but it's worth it for the longevity).

You remove with acetone, cotton and foil, same as Shellac but takes a little longer, but there is no base coat to apply, so you make up the time there. x

How long does it take to soak, if you buff first? X

Hi blossom

Just to add my 2 pennies.

I have only ever used shellac and have lost a few clients to something stronger.

I also looked at gel ll and bought one or two colours and a top coat. I also can only keep shellac on for a few days so was interested in how it would perform. I did minimal prep and slapped it on. It lasted over 14 days. Leading up to Christmas I bought a load more then more!

There are a few issues with supply which are being dealt with. I don't think anyone expected the demand to be so great.

I now have 'nails' on all the time. I never bothered before but keeping them looking great is easy. I often wear gloves to do treatments but often forget and the acetone resistant top coat really protects them.

The other thing to consider is the cost per service. Have a look at the comparisons.

I'm using a mixture of products - CND and La Palm - but am getting great results.

And removal takes about 15 mins all in.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have just came on here to look for reviews on gel ll. shellac just doesn't last enough on my clients, and people seemed to be disappointed.

I thinking will get a colour and top coat and given it a try.

Hi blossom

Just to add my 2 pennies.

I have only ever used shellac and have lost a few clients to something stronger.

I also looked at gel ll and bought one or two colours and a top coat. I also can only keep shellac on for a few days so was interested in how it would perform. I did minimal prep and slapped it on. It lasted over 14 days. Leading up to Christmas I bought a load more then more!

There are a few issues with supply which are being dealt with. I don't think anyone expected the demand to be so great.

I now have 'nails' on all the time. I never bothered before but keeping them looking great is easy. I often wear gloves to do treatments but often forget and the acetone resistant top coat really protects them.

The other thing to consider is the cost per service. Have a look at the comparisons.

I'm using a mixture of products - CND and La Palm - but am getting great results.

And removal takes about 15 mins all in.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you. Is it led cure? X

Last edited:
Ive offerd shellac from the start but 9 out of 10 clients now g9 for my gelish. Ive recently bought a few I.N.K london aswel to try and if they become popular will faze my shellac out. Its also faster as im only 30 sec led for them other than having to use uv cnd lamp. Xx

Although we started with Shellac, we also found that it did not stick as well as other brands, especially for clients with damaged or bendy nails. I think it is a good idea to have a choice of offerings to meet clients' needs. Most of the salons I work with have gone with the big 3 - Shellac, OPI and Gelish. I think these three represent a good spectrum in terms of wear and removability - OPI's hybrid base makes for easy removals but good wear; Gelish's acetone resistant top coat give excellent wear, in fact, we sometimes put a second top coat of Gelish on our Shellac clients' top coat.

Personally, because I only use LED curable products - OPI, Gelish, ACG and LeChat are my go-to brands. I don't like any of the no-base or 1-coat gels. I find they are hard to remove and the finish not up to par, especially on ridged nails.

Thank you. Is it led cure? X
Yes it is LED cure and there is a Gel II lamp that does it in 30 seconds colour and 50 seconds Top.

It can also be cured in the CND lamp 2 mins for colour and top.

I personally think the Gel II lamp is quite expensive, but from what others say it's worth it.

As long as I'm running Gel II alongside Shellac I am going to continue to use the CND lamp as I have no problems, and being mobile I would be carrying two lamps around, should the need arise I will invest in a G2 lamp.

One other point to make...you can only do a conversion course for G2 if you have the correct lamp (which is normal practice for all brands), so I've put of doing it until I need the lamp. Which is a shame because I would love to do the conversion for G2. x

but you dont have to do a conversion in order to buy g2? xx

but you dont have to do a conversion in order to buy g2? xx

No you don't and I had great results without doing the conversion although I'm now glad I've done it. I used the CND lamp and only got the new Gel ll one last week. Yes, it's great but it's not a must have x

Also thinking about getting some gel II to run alongside my shellac because I find that there are a few clients that are a bit rough on their nails and I think maybe gel II will be a bit more suited to these clients..

tbh if it wears well and is kind to nails, what more could you ask for? i'm going to have a look at the website at the colours.

edit to add: right now im confused - have looked at the creative beauty group website and i see they also sell shellac, are they an authorised distributor for that then? i thought cnd and creative beauty group werent the same thing. ? ? x

Latest posts

Back