Shellac not suited to my client due to medication

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJulesBeauty

Reaction score
Hello

I have been using shellac for almost a year now and absolutely 110% love it. Today a newbie shellac client came in to see me to cancel her next shellac appointment. When I asked why she showed me her nails and said it all just peeled off. Now we are on Friday and I did her shellac on Saturday of last week. She said they started peeling the day after and by the end of the day she had lost the lot off two nails and the others were loose and so she peeled it off.

Having looked at her nails there were no signs of stress, no bits of nail plate missing or anything like that. Her nails are generally in good health, not brittle or peeling.

I asked her if she had used any cleaning products etc without gloves, she said no, then I asked her if she was on any medication and she replied "Lots" now she was reluctant to tell me what medication she was taking and I did not feel I had any rights to ask but this must be the problem because never have I come across this before.

It got me curious though, are there certain types of meds that affect the longevity of nail products or are there so many its trial and error?

I felt really bad for her because she paid for the shellac manicure and through no fault of her own did not get good value for money but at the same time it is not my fault either. Should I be asking what meds people are on and advising them to avoid if taking specific ones?

Any advise would be appreciated x

Hello

I have been using shellac for almost a year now and absolutely 110% love it. Today a newbie shellac client came in to see me to cancel her next shellac appointment. When I asked why she showed me her nails and said it all just peeled off. Now we are on Friday and I did her shellac on Saturday of last week. She said they started peeling the day after and by the end of the day she had lost the lot off two nails and the others were loose and so she peeled it off.

Having looked at her nails there were no signs of stress, no bits of nail plate missing or anything like that. Her nails are generally in good health, not brittle or peeling.

I asked her if she had used any cleaning products etc without gloves, she said no, then I asked her if she was on any medication and she replied "Lots" now she was reluctant to tell me what medication she was taking and I did not feel I had any rights to ask but this must be the problem because never have I come across this before.

It got me curious though, are there certain types of meds that affect the longevity of nail products or are there so many its trial and error?

I felt really bad for her because she paid for the shellac manicure and through no fault of her own did not get good value for money but at the same time it is not my fault either. Should I be asking what meds people are on and advising them to avoid if taking specific ones?

Any advise would be appreciated x

i have clients on Thyroxin who seems to struggle, I now use Brisa Lite SCULPTING gel as an overlay under their Shellac (charge the same as BL smoothing) - this seems to have stopped the lifting.

i have one client that loses her shellac when she is on antibiotics.. normally she can wear her Shellac for three weeks +, but loses them whole within 2 days of application when on antibiotics.

HTHs x

Thank you, that does help.

So during consultation do you ask if they are on any medication? and advise of possible issues?

Although I don't offer Shellac I once had a good friend come to me to have some Bio Sculpture nails done and they all came clean off within a matter of days. Not because of my application, but because she was on around 20 tablets a day which made it impossible for her to wear any kind of gel.

My advice to you is always to ask beforehand if the client is on any sort of medication and if she is, advise her that COULD affect Shellac.

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Although I don't offer Shellac I once had a good friend come to me to have some Bio Sculpture nails done and they all came clean off within a matter of days. Not because of my application, but because she was on around 20 tablets a day which made it impossible for her to wear any kind of nail enhancements.

My advice to you is always to ask beforehand if the client is on any sort of medication and if she is, advise her that COULD affect Shellac.

I'm on thyroxine and I wear gelish all the time, I know this thread is about shellac but I've worn acrylics and gelish with no problems at all. From my own experience of an under active thyroid I would think that skin and nails would be drier than normal if anything. Sorry not that much help with explaining why your clients nails peeled but just wanted to share my experience with thyroxine. It may be some other meds she's on

Have a read of this:
http://schoonscientific.com/downloads/Myths-from-FB_2013-03-14.pdf

You'll see that he believes it is unlikely that medication will be the cause. Illness and some medications will obviously affect the condition of the nails but this is something that can be seen (e.g. thin, ridged etc). It is the surface of the nail that is important. Once there is a good bond between the product and nail it won't be affected.

I would try other bonding methods, e.g. more dehydration immediately before the base coat, thinner base application (too thick can often be a problem), light buff then dehydrate etc.

I don't believe nail technicians should ask specific questions about medications. If a client listed their drugs what would it mean to you? Not a lot. If you believe Doug (and I do) there is little point in even asking. Observation and feel of the nail is far more relevant and not intruding into a persons private medical history.

I'm sure you can solve the problem. Good luck

Latest posts

Back