Shellac on for too long?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lexielou6

Reaction score
Hello fellow shellac lovers,
i had a lady ring up this morning to ask to have her shellac removed and she told me her nails had all broken and looked a mess, i asked her how long it was since we last did them and she said almost four weeks, could this be why her nails are a mess please help!!!

It is almost impossible to say what has caused damage to her nails as we can't see them and we don't know what she's been doing to them!

What condition were her nails in when you applied the Shellac? Was it the first time she'd has it?

Did you retail some Solar Oil when you applied the Shellac? I have known people leave it on for 4 weeks and their nails have been in perfect condition when I removed the Shellac because they have used Solar Oil twice a day as I advised them to.

Perhaps her nails have grown so much in the four weeks and that is why they are breaking off. She is probably just looking for something to blame and her nails would have
broken anyway you know?

It really is all about the solar oil though! Se should really be using that too :)

Thanks Ladies, i have done her shellac for her 2 times now, she does have raynauds syndrome as well, the first time i removed her shellac and reapplied, second time she removed them at home using the shellac remover retail tube, i know this sounds awful but i think she is lying to me and also as an aftercare i give a pinkie solar oil to all new shellac clients, but this last time she said she had run out so then gave another one. her nails still had a bit of french left on the tips where she had not got it all off properly, i do think she hasnt listened to me about how to remove, but it still makes me feel like i am responsible :sad:

Thanks Ladies, i have done her shellac for her 2 times now, she does have raynauds syndrome as well, the first time i removed her shellac and reapplied, second time she removed them at home using the shellac remover retail tube, i know this sounds awful but i think she is lying to me and also as an aftercare i give a pinkie solar oil to all new shellac clients, but this last time she said she had run out so then gave another one. her nails still had a bit of french left on the tips where she had not got it all off properly, i do think she hasnt listened to me about how to remove, but it still makes me feel like i am responsible :sad:

Firstly, do not give her any more Solar Oil! If she's paid for it she will be more likely to use it properly. Sell her the 15ml bottle.

You can't blame your self for this, you have stated that she did not remove the Shellac properly and she hasn't been using her oil so her nails breaking after 4 weeks is not your fault. She needs to learn that Shellac will not look after itself, especially if she is leaving it on for a month! Make sure you book her an appointment for every 2 weeks x

I have to assume you have advised her Shellac is a two week manicure?

So what else can she expect after four weeks.

What do you expect after four weeks?

I do not understand why you feel responsible?

I have to assume you have advised her Shellac is a two week manicure?

So what else can she expect after four weeks.

What do you expect after four weeks?

I do not understand why you feel responsible?
Thanks, i stress so much to my ladies that this is a two week manicue, i will deffo make sure she books in again for two weeks xx

I agree with Lolly that if they have broken it is probably just down to the amount of growth in 4 weeks, which is considerable.

As Jacquelineanna says, it is a 14 day manicure . . . anyone getting over that should be highly delighted as they are on a "bonus" lol

But not to the point where they just let it go on and on when the length is far too long (for them). She must have begun to see the signs . . . they don't all break/chip all at once with normal use. Once over the 14 days, at the first signs of any chipping at all, the client should book in (in an ideal scenario they would have their appointment already booked but we all know what they're like sometimes).

This is definitely not your fault, maybe you are relatively new to nails? You need to reinforce the idea that it is a 14 day thing at the time of application and remind her when she does come in that she has left it twice the recommended time and so what can she expect really?

I have had several clients go 4, 4.5 even 5 weeks and return in perfect order apart from the growth, but the factors that influence this are that a) they are not particularly "heavy" on their nails and b) they have a pretty strong natural nail underneath. And of course they should be using Solar oil . . . although my sister in law went 4.5 perfect weeks and completely forgot to use it at all :eek: Shame on her! But she has very strong nails.

Btw, if it's part of a deal, by all means give away a pinkie of Solar Oil . . . but don't then feel duty bound to supply them with it for free whenever they run out! If you feel awkward, you could try saying something at the time you give it, like "when you finish that bottle, I've plenty more in stock and it's only £3.50 or whatever it is" - then that sets the tone from the outset. hth's xx

Latest posts

Back