Shellac or Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only did the usual prep I would for a normal polish as I wanted to see how it would last. I haven't had any problems at all. I am amazed by the results, no dulling at all, which to be honest, I had expected from the acetone and monomer etc.

This is a big nail industry and there is plenty of room for Shellac, Gelish and everything else that will come along. It would be really boring and probably very expensive if there were only one type of everything. Competition is a fabulous thing, it keeps us all on our toes! :D

Hi Can you tell me abit more on how much it costed to have training with shellac and actually what it is?? Is it like gel but as a polish??

I also would like to know how much the intro kit cost? I have heard abit about this product but i'm not sure why it would be worth investment etc......Let me know how much you have spent. Thanks

Lisa

contact Sweet Squared for all the information re pricing and costs. You can call them on 0845 210 6060; they're the best people to ask about CND product as they're the UK distributor.

Just out of interest here are some of the GELISH colours available

bronzewolf-albums-gelish-picture28169-gelish-colour-pops-starting-bottom-left-red-roses-good-gossip-rose-garden-rendezvous-starburst-samuri-ambience-taffeta-middle-row-left-vanilla-silk-moroccan-nights-tassles-ivory-coast-desert-sands-wicked-night-shimmer-midnight-caller-top-row-left-ocean-wave-mint-icing-seafoam-bashful-princess-tiara-allure-twinkle-bronzed.jpg

Starting Bottom Left: Red Roses, Good Gossip, Rose Garden, Rendezvous, Starburst, Samuri, Ambience & Taffeta

Middle Row, left: Vanilla Silk, Moroccan Nights, Tassles, Ivory Coast, Desert Sands, Wicked, Night Shimmer & Midnight Caller

Top Row, Left: Ocean Wave, Mint Icing, Seafoam, Bashful, Princess Tiara, Allure, Twinkle & Bronzed

Thanks for that, great to see them all like this. Another 24 on the way very soon!!! :D

Surely the fact that Gelish DOES require the surface to be etched prior to removal is a good thing. At least then it stays in place until you want it to come off and doesn't get affected by the use of acetone or heat.

I've got really short natural nails and I've had Gelish on for over a week with no problems at all. I've been doing soak offs and even decorating my new shop. It has stay intact with numerous Minx applications and its still as shiny as when it was applied. I always test products on myself first as if it lasts on me it will last on almost anyone.

I'm a total convert to Gelish and the Harmony acrylic is great as well - so much so that I'm switching from EZ Flow to Harmony as soon as I can.

X

I have had Gelish on my nails without etching, just do normal dry prep that I would for usual polish application. No problems at all, have removed and redone, removal in 10 minutes with no residue left. I couldn't be happier, have increased business as well from ladies who liked polish but not the drying time! :D

All i can contribute is that in Ireland- Shellac is the one ,that all the Beauty Eds and TV are interested in. Shellac,Shellac,Shellac!
Its the brand thats on everyones lips - Shellac - good PR?- good product?
Who cares- and its a brilliant product,ask any Shellac user?
- customers want Shellac! So go with the flow.

All i can contribute is that in Ireland- Shellac is the one ,that all the Beauty Eds and TV are interested in. Shellac,Shellac,Shellac!
Its the brand thats on everyones lips - Shellac - good PR?- good product?
Who cares- and its a brilliant product,ask any Shellac user?
- customers want Shellac! So go with the flow.

I agree 100% with this.

I can't believe the amount of my clients that have asked me about Shellac, as they have seen it on TV or read something about it in a magazine ......

I'm totally out the door and booked out for weeks

Everyone REALLY is talking about Shellac!!!!

I can only say as I've found. I have been using Shellac for a couple of months and had not one problem. I haven't tried Gellish and I'm sure those that have been using it are loving it too.

What I have found however is that those that have seen it all (i.e beauty people) immediately say "Oh, another gel". I can get and keep their attention by explaining that its isn't. Then I can prove it. Then they love it. I'm not doing a PR job on behalf of S2 or CND, I'm just doing my job. I'm expected to have all the new 'stuff' and 'say it how it is'. That's what I 'do'. I get sent new colours from loads of brands for example. If I think it is a good colour, I'll say so and use it. Same with other types of products.

Everyone wants something new. The actual results may be close but the genuinely new technology is what is grabbing the attention in my experience so far.

I'm sure Gellish is great but that is my experience.

Hi Geeks, this is my first post so please me gentle with me!

I've been using soakable gels, but since hearing about the above think I'm going to try Shellac. I'm booked on my attack for Friday but have since found out about Gelish from Nail Harmony.
Techs have been raving about both products and i dont know who to go with.
Has anyone any prefence of advice.
thanks x

Hi What is "my attack"? Have seen it before, and a bit puzzled:irked:
Thanks

Hi What is "my attack"? Have seen it before, and a bit puzzled:irked:
Thanks

Most likely a "Shellac Attack" class.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Look .. you have to realise that Shellac is different to coloured gels.

All coloured gels require a preparation of the natural nail that includes filing the surface of the natural nail .... Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require any filing of the surface of the natural nail at any time. Gelish DOES require that you file the surface of the natural nail because it is a gel.

All coloured gels require a primer of some sort before applying a bonder layer ... Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require a primer/bonder before application of its base coat ... Gelish DOES require the use of a primer/bonder because it is a gel.

All coloured gels require some sort of base layer on which to apply the colour gel ... Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require a foundation layer ... Gelish DOES require a foundation layer of gel prior to the colour because it is a coloured gel.

All coloured gels require that the technician file the surface of the gel prior to removing it ... Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require any filing of the surface to remove it ... Gelish DOES require that you file the surface of the gel before it is removed because it is a coloured gel.

There are lots of coloured gels and they all work and are long lasting, no one argues with that but they are more work and take more time. Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require all the extra steps and products that are needed when applying coloured gels. So if you must do a comparison then compare Gelish with the many other coloured gels on the market (there are stacks and stacks of them) but do not compare it with Shellac because Shellac is not a coloured gel and the two are not the same in any way.

The reason that the beauty editors are raving about Shellac is that Beauty editors are not interested in enhancement products nor do they write about them because of the damage they see inflicted from filing the natural nail before application and having to file it on removal. Shellac is not a coloured gel and does not require any filing which is one significant reason why they are raving about it.

Shellac HYBRID colour coat is so incredibly simple, in that the UV3 colour coat system consists of just 3 products (base coat, colour coat and top coat - like polish) and goes on like polish, has the added benefit of wearing flawlessly for weeks (like a gel) and comes off fast and easy with absolutely no change in the condition of the natural nail. Imagine how easy that is for you in the salon. INCREDIBLE!!

This is what HYBRID technology means .. it means that CND in their laboratories have taken the BEST attributes of polish, the BEST attributes of gels, they have added new science with fast release polymers and come up with something unique in the world of nails.

I hope this helps you all to understand just how important Shellac is in the life of a nail technician and just why clients will love it and love YOU for using it.
hi im very confused now x shellac said its a mix of polish and gel and needs a base coat, as does gelish is a mix polish gel and has a base coat,
both products have had formaldahide, etc taken out of them and both soak off in 10 mins i love both of them and find them the same , can you help with my confusion x x x x x

Gelish has very gentle remover which has been the deciding factor for me, as in the past I have found that 100% acetone to be too harsh on the natural nail causing weakness and flaky nails. Most other soak off system to use this.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I haven't used Shellac (although I'm doing a 1 finger test from the show at Excel & 10 days on it is still looking perfect & very shiny)
I do use Gelish & I have done in fills with it when in a hurry. It is also incredibly shiny.

Just wondering......If Shellac is part polish part gel + new tecnology & Gelish is a thin gel, will Shellac thicken up quicker as the polish evaporates & will Gelish not as it is a thin gel????

Just trying to get my head around the differences.

Just a quick question.

Do you have to use the brisa lamp with the shellac or can you use a regular lamp???

If you can use a regular lamp how long does it take to cure

Thanks

Gelish has very gentle remover which has been the deciding factor for me, as in the past I have found that 100% acetone to be too harsh on the natural nail causing weakness and flaky nails. Most other soak off system to use this.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

As I've not used either and about to go on training for Shellac I would be interested to know what the Gelish remover contains to make it more gentle and different from the product used to remove Shellac.

I'm curious as just seeing nail polish remover, is enough for my nails!

Either way, does the regular use of solar oil prevent the dehydration acetone can cause? what about over time?

Thanks

Tamm

Just a quick question.

Do you have to use the brisa lamp with the shellac or can you use a regular lamp???

Thanks

You need a Brisa or a Shellac lamp for Shellac...no other lamp will do.

Just a quick question.

Thanks
hi i use a uv lamp 36 watt, cnd said there lamps are just more affictiant and faster x

The cnd lamp has been specifically designed for use with cnd products including shellac.

Latest posts

Back