Shellac or Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use both...i do up to 30 costumers every week since a Florida local newspaper wrote about it 2 months ago. the process n final looking is very similar. i personally think shellac is harder than gelish..i notice that the nails start shipping n splitting more with shellac..they get very dry.(u dont notice this when u do it in a already damaged nail,i have costumers who actually went back to traditional manicures cuz of this, btw i dont even prepare the nail how they sugest, a ligth buffer is more than enough for me) i never discuss this a lot with my co-workers cuz advertising could be very influent. this is just my opinion.i use gelish on myself,last 2 weeks n i work without gloves.

I got my shellac kit last week and I love it. I'm just surprised no one in my area has heard of shellac. They are only just starting to hear about minx.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

i use both...i do up to 30 costumers every week since a Florida local newspaper wrote about it 2 months ago. the process n final looking is very similar. i personally think shellac is harder than gelish..i notice that the nails start shipping n splitting more with shellac..they get very dry.(u dont notice this when u do it in a already damaged nail,i have costumers who actually went back to traditional manicures cuz of this, btw i dont even prepare the nail how they sugest, a ligth buffer is more than enough for me) i never discuss this a lot with my co-workers cuz advertising could be very influent. this is just my opinion.i use gelish on myself,last 2 weeks n i work without gloves.

No sure what u mean by a light buffer, if your applying shellac you should not be buffing the nail at all. maybe the problem and condition of your clients nails is down to you not prepping nails properly. I can't speak for gellish as I only use shellac but CND did not spend several years researching and developing a product for the natural nail for people to then decide themselves how it should be used and hence then blaming the product. This goes for everything.

Hi Tamm,
The Gelish Remover can be used also for removal of acrylic nails it has a lower percentage of Actone than products of its kind and contains additional solvents designed to decrease the removal time of the Gelish or acrylic products.

It it foases on the breakdownof the bond between the Gelish Foundation and the natural nail while at the same time soften the Gelish to allow for easy removal.

I hope this helps :)

Hiya I use both and both have the same longevty :)

I'm really put of by shellac having only 12 colours!!

I'm really put of by shellac having only 12 colours!!
Well you're a bit out of date there, love. Lol. Shellac has 24 colours and with those 24 you can make about 50 different colours! How many do you need? :biggrin: 12 more on the way as well!

Oh! Ha ha, sorry I'd obviously miss read that! Can someone pm me an idea of costs? I have had a look on eBay and am tempted to try buy a second hand kit to tide me over till I can afford to do bio! My clients mainly like the dark red/blue/grey/purple and coffee colours and French! I must look into their colours now x

Why on earth would you be tempted to buy a second hand kit from eBay????!!! If the time isn't right to provide your clients with a professional service using authentic products from a reputable source then wait until it is.

I totally understand what u are saying, however as the majority of people in my area have nails, tans and eyelashes, I am loosing potential customers left right and centre! They don't want to have different people for different treatments! I cannot get a loan or buy an expensive nail system right now and I know that I'd like the sound of shellac, i sont even know the cost of this as ive requested costs and not got any emails back! I will be in turn getting more eyelash extension and tan clients by offering this as a temporary solution!

A temporary solution that could end up losing you clients! You could buy a cheap copy, wrong lamp, no supplier support etc.

Starter kits for this new generation of services are not expensive. My advice is do it properly from the beginning

A temporary solution that could end up losing you clients! You could buy a cheap copy, wrong lamp, no supplier support etc.

Starter kits for this new generation of services are not expensive. My advice is do it properly from the beginning

I totally agree with Marian ... everyone knows fleabay charges are usually way above the market price for things AND you have no guarantee that they are selling you the genuine article .. I know for a fact that the lamps they are selling with Shellac do NOT cure it. For goodness sakes, use your head and contact Sweet Squared by PHONE 08452106060 and get the genuine thing at a genuine wholesale price.

I tried to call them on Friday, I believe I was the next caller in line for 15 mins, gave up in the end! Although I will take all of ur advice and try again on Monday! I have got many consumables ie sticky feet gel pads etc from eBay and had no probs and they are much cheaper than salon services!

I tried to call them on Friday, I believe I was the next caller in line for 15 mins, gave up in the end! Although I will take all of ur advice and try again on Monday! I have got many consumables ie sticky feet gel pads etc from eBay and had no probs and they are much cheaper than salon services!

It can be frustrating, but it just shows how busy they are ... and that is with about 9 telephones each with a dedicated customer sales person at the end. It is still worth it to do things right. There is also the web site which you can register to buy from and no waiting. Consumables are one thing and professional only products are another!! Any CND pro only product on ebay is there illegally! Think on that one.

Ooh I never knew that! Yeah fair point about professional products! It seems anyone can get hold of anything they want these days cheaper! Making profits low for us that spend years training! I will try again tomorrow! Thanks x

Well I tried again and got straight through! Only I needed my certificates to have an account opened! (fair enough, we don't want everyone and his dog ordering professional products!) so I arranged to go to a storage unit where they were first thing this morning! After hours of searching I finally found them raced back to send them over as I'm desperate for my price and to get this stuff ordered! Only then I find out they need time to get through 100's of requests before they get to mine and it might not even be today! I don't know what I'm more gutted about, spending hours looking for the certificates, when I could have been doing clients and got them later when I was free, or realising I might not get my prices and info today :-(

Well I tried again and got straight through! Only I needed my certificates to have an account opened! (fair enough, we don't want everyone and his dog ordering professional products!) so I arranged to go to a storage unit where they were first thing this morning! After hours of searching I finally found them raced back to send them over as I'm desperate for my price and to get this stuff ordered! Only then I find out they need time to get through 100's of requests before they get to mine and it might not even be today! I don't know what I'm more gutted about, spending hours looking for the certificates, when I could have been doing clients and got them later when I was free, or realising I might not get my prices and info today :-(

I'm sure they will get back to you as soon as possible as that is what they will want to do :hug: All good things are worth waiting for and it won't be long. X

U know what they just got back to me and I had 100's of questions, I just called them and they were really helpful! I'm happy now x

hi i use a uv lamp 36 watt, cnd said there lamps are just more affictiant and faster x

Absolutely more efficient, as it cures the product perfectly. No chance of under or over curing. It is part of the system!!!!
Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek
Ruth Fordham

i use a mix of both but do prefer gelish, bigger bottles, better consistancy, doesn't go gloopy after a while (as shellac can) larger colour scheme.

As for prep gelish is exactly the same as shellac - foundation/base coat, 2 colour layer and top coat, wipe clean. No buffing

to remove, exactly the same wrap finger in a wrap, either acetone or gelish own remover, 10 mins scrape off. again no buffing to break top layer.

To cure I use a 36w lamp, no special make, not LED, though i would like one because its really quick.

Everybody has their own favourites you just have to trial it and see what you like, you will find a thread like this does come down heavy on the use of Shellac as one of the moderators did invent it! and will - quite naturally - advise shellac.

Do as I did, order a top and base of each a french polish pink and white from shellac (they are lovely colours) and a colour or 2 from gellish. Not a amassive outlay but enough for you to tell the difference.

good luck :lol:

Latest posts

Back