Shellac or Gelish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use a mix of both but do prefer gelish, bigger bottles, better consistancy, doesn't go gloopy after a while (as shellac can) larger colour scheme.

As for prep gelish is exactly the same as shellac - foundation/base coat, 2 colour layer and top coat, wipe clean. No buffing

to remove, exactly the same wrap finger in a wrap, either acetone or gelish own remover, 10 mins scrape off. again no buffing to break top layer.

To cure I use a 36w lamp, no special make, not LED, though i would like one because its really quick.

Everybody has their own favourites you just have to trial it and see what you like, you will find a thread like this does come down heavy on the use of Shellac as one of the moderators did invent it! and will - quite naturally - advise shellac.

Do as I did, order a top and base of each a french polish pink and white from shellac (they are lovely colours) and a colour or 2 from gellish. Not a amassive outlay but enough for you to tell the difference.

good luck :lol:
here

What an absolute load of crappola!! lol Where did you get that info?? Can't believe the uninformed rubbish people post!!

Geeg, can u elaborate? I need more info? What's misinformed? Is it the gelac shellac being the same? Thanks x

Geeg, can u elaborate? I need more info? What's misinformed? Is it the gelac shellac being the same? Thanks x

The misinformation is that a "Moderator on this site invented Shellac".

Shellac is a CND product who have nothing at all to do with this site.

Oh I see I did think that was the case! Thanks x

[QUOTE}

Shellac is a CND product who have nothing at all to do with this site.[/QUOTE]

Please correct me if I am wrong but Salongeek is run by sweetsquared...the UK dis of Shellac and CND ?

This is not a criticism just a clarification

Last edited:
Hi i have started doing shellac ,going well but a few clients coming back saying the tip has chipped,i doing everything by the book,any tips

Please correct me if I am wrong but Salongeek is run by sweetsquared...the UK dis of Shellac and CND ?

No this site is run by Samuel Sweet..... this site is payed for by him out of his own pocket and not funded by CND xxxx:hug:

Last edited:
Shellac is a CND product who have nothing at all to do with this site.

SalonGeek.com is actually run by the volunteer moderators. S2 own SalonGeek, but only because I started it yonks ago before I started S2. Would challenge anyone to show where that influences any action of any kind around here. Most industry related forums reflect a pretty similar ratio of brand discussions which is indicitive of a brands popularity.

OK...Is there a listing on here of Moderators as I have had contact with a few but not all ?

Samuel has built a great site which is amazingly informative and I welcome the fact I can contribute to my own group :)

Hi there,

Shellac has never yet gone gloopy on me, I shake the bottle really well and have used many off them right down to the last drop.

Gelish has a light buff/ shine removal. It requires a PREP.
No need for with Shellac it requires a PEP.

To remove Gelish, you do need to buff over the top coat, to break down the top coat, so the acetone can penetrate quickly.
No need for with Shellac. It is completely removed in 10 minutes.

HTH xxx

I love this site and it has been a great help to me, sometimes people get a little irate over things! And all need to chill a little! I'm sure most of us know full well that CND developed the shellac product and not the makers of salongeek! X

Thanks for the list.... informative

I feel the same re my product :) (ie wish I had invented)

You've made a great choice and you will not regret it believe me. :D

SOO true! 1st! You don't have to harm the nail plate at all!!! 2nd. 10 min soak off!!! you can not beat that!!!

I Heart Shellac!

Hi there,

Shellac has never yet gone gloopy on me, I shake the bottle really well and have used many off them right down to the last drop.

Gelish has a light buff/ shine removal. It requires a PREP.
No need for with Shellac it requires a PEP.

To remove Gelish, you do need to buff over the top coat, to break down the top coat, so the acetone can penetrate quickly.
No need for with Shellac. It is completely removed in 10 minutes.

HTH xxx

Having used Gelish for a number of months now with fab results I can honestly say I never remove shine (I only ever PEP) and I have never felt the need to buff the topcoat either, I simply wrap the nail with foil using the remover and by the time I have finished the final nail I only need wait a couple of mins and the first one is ready to remove. I find the removal time totally comparable to Shellac.

Why choose one? I have 23 out of 24 Shellac colors and over 50 Gelish colors my clients love both products and they love having options.

My shellac arrived today!! I only ordered it on standard delivery yesterday! Very excited! Going to try it out tonight!

Can I throw another spanner in the works...............
I have been using Gelish for a few months now and really like it, but I just recently picked up a couple of the Entity Colour Couture Gels, and I have to say I'm pretty impressed with these also. Entity appears a little thinner than the Gelish in application, as for how long it lasts i'll have to keep you updated, so far 3 days of fabulous bright red toes!!

My Gelish lasted 3 weeks in great condition with only a slight wearing on the ends, and the only reason I removed it was because I got bored of the colour after that long.

SO my decision is......:wink2: have them all and justify it by the fact they have different colour ranges!!!

i love gelosophy by astonishing nails!
as a very busy salon using gelish & gelosophy ive just sold my supply of shellac because the 7ml bottles are not very salon friendly & just cant compare to the more than double the size gelish & gelosophy...shellac is great for mobile nail techs but when you have been waiting 30 seconds a cure...2 minutes becomes mind numbingly long! xxx

Latest posts

Back