Shellac over CND polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karenlaw

Reaction score
Hi,

Can you use shellac top coat over cnd nail polish?

I asked my CND tutor this when i did the shellac class and she said yes but would only advise to use this method on our selfs and not clients.

There would be no guarantee that it would last and it wouldn't be a full shellac treatment so it would be unfair to charge has a shellac treatment imo.

I was hoping she would say yes has i wanted it for myself because i have alot of favorite shades in my OPI collection but i never get to wear them has i wreck the polish in a day. I just haven't had the time to try it on myself yet has i think you would need to let the polish fully dry before topcoating. If you do try it please let me know how you got on. :) xx

No you can't.

Polish needs to be completely dry and that would take time. And it will only lead to service breakdown.

Why exactly you want to do that?

If you are looking for shiny, quick drying top coat try Lumos it's truly amazing and dries in a snap.

Hope this helps;)

Nail designer with a twist;)

You can do this with Jessica's Geleration, but that's a different product! I have successfully sandwiched polish between the base and top coats, making sure the colour is dry, and the colour lasted a lot longer than polish alone, but not the 2-3weeks my Geleration lasts.

If the technique does work, and the client is informed and aware of the likely lasting power compared to Shellac, than I can't see the problem, especially as it somewhat increases the range of colour choices.

I've done this and it does work, but I would never do it for a client... I mean I couldn't charge her for a Shellac service then could I?:)

I really love a nice clear pink polish with my French, so I used an Orly pink polish and had to wait for it to dry completely before I applied the Shellac top coat.

Luckily for me Shellac granted my wish and have brought out the exact colour now (clearly pink) and I no longer need to do this... yippee!!!

I've done this and it does work, but I would never do it for a client... I mean I couldn't charge her for a Shellac service then could I?:)

No, you couldn't call it Shellac, but if someone wanted a normal polish colour and there's no equivalent in the Shellac, then surely there's nothing wrong with sandwiching it between the base and top coat to increase the longevity of the polish alone, for a price of course!!

No, you couldn't call it Shellac, but if someone wanted a normal polish colour and there's no equivalent in the Shellac, then surely there's nothing wrong with sandwiching it between the base and top coat to increase the longevity of the polish alone, for a price of course!!

Yes, I don't see why not... although I think it would take forever to do two coats of colour and then wait for it to dry... I didn't mind waiting for it to dry on myself, but I don't think I'd fancy doing that with a client.

I don't know much about CND drying times, but surely it won't take any longer than waiting for the colour to dry before putting a normal polish top coat on as you would in a standard manicure?!

I don't know much about CND drying times, but surely it won't take any longer than waiting for the colour to dry before putting a normal polish top coat on as you would in a standard manicure?!

When I did mine the first time I was full sure the polish was dry and I applied the Shellac and about an hour later the whole thing just peeled straight off the nail, so I'd be afraid to chance it with a client now.

Well that's a different thing altogether; you're saying it doesn't work, in which case I wouldn't do it either. If it was just to do with calling it 'Shellac' I couldn't see a problem, but if it's that Shellac can't be used in that way then that's a different matter entirely!!

I'm not saying it doesn't work... it does, it's just it would take too long IMO, so I wouldn't even suggest it to a client.

Of course if you did decide to do it and had a great enamel that dried super quick, then go for it, but obviously you'd have to explain to the client that she wasn't having Shellac and charge accordingly.

Edit.. I think it would work better over a sheer Enamel rather than an Opaque one as the sheer ones tend to dry faster in my opinion... I know the OP is talking about CND Enamel, but I'm sure the same would apply for any Enamel really.

Last edited:
Ive painted my nails then put glaze and go top coat on and set it so that my polish didn't come off when i was doing other peoples nails but after few days it all started to crack! :( but i haven't try it with Shellac tho! Ive used Shellac base and top coat and used another gel/polish in between (gelish) as i dont like there base and top coats and it takes forever to come off compared to Shellac and you have to buff the nail plate first! but its lasted really well :) I'm pleased with it :) x

Hiya, what's the best glitter to use for rockstars?

Latest posts

Back