Shellac over enhancements - base coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayleysspraytan

Reaction score
Hi guys
Quick question, do you all use the base coat when applying shellac over gel or acrylic or do you start with the first colour coat, Ive read conflicting info and Im now confused!! Ive usually used the base coat?:confused:

You do not need to use Shellac Base coat when applying over any type of enhancement. And of course, don't forget you have to buff the Shellac off to remove it if applied over enhanced nails.

Thanks Geeg, that makes a lot of sense when I think about it logically!!!

Ok so this confuses me as to what I thought the job of the base coat was for... I was under the impression you had to be precise with base coat as the colour won't stick where the base coat hasn't been applied? X

I think the point of the base coat is to adhere to the keratin in your nail plate - so wouldnt be needed with enhancements, just to remove the shine...hopefully Geeg will come back with a definite answer though!!??

Oh ok I just always thought the colour adhered to the base coat x

Well I dont think your wrong as it must do - but must also adhere to l&p/gel too....Geeg???!

Oh ok I just always thought the colour adhered to the base coat x
On a natural nail the primary function of the Shellac Base coat is to make the removal process of Shellac, faster than any other SP colour coat. Shellac Base Coat is also a great foundation for the colour because of its ridge filling properties, but an enhancement serves that function and provides a perfect surface but Shellac was formulated for natural nails and not enhanced nails, which is why you need the Shellac Base Coat on the natural nail.

Know your science ... Learn how the product works in the article, 'Shellac Science is Cool' found in the articles forum here on the site.

Ok will have a read thankyou x

Thankyou :Love:

Geeg I have a question. I use Brisa gels and will be introducing my clients to shellac soon. As this is a buff off gel am I able to shellac over existing gel and then for removal soak off with remover pads as this should not effect the gels? Appreciate you advice :) Oh by the way, do you know who stocks your book in Australia? I have been hunting everywhere but no luck :(

To apply Shellac over Brisa Gels you finish the Enhancement completely but do not remove the Inibition layer on the Finishing Gloss, then apply you two colour coats finishing with the Shellac Top Coat.

For removal you would do this as part of your rebalance so you would file the Shellac off while you are refining the Enhancement.

Hths

To apply Shellac over Brisa Gels you finish the Enhancement completely but do not remove the Inibition layer on the Finishing Gloss, then apply you two colour coats finishing with the Shellac Top Coat.

For removal you would do this as part of your rebalance so you would file the Shellac off while you are refining the Enhancement.

Hths
I love my wonderful Education Ambassadors!

My book is shipped world wide for ver little cost. Disinfectants & hygiene products to prevent spread of disease. - mundo professional - for a healthy environment

Just click on books and pay pal does the rest. We have sent many copies to Australia. Thank you for your interest in it. :hug:

Thank you for your help :) I have placed the request with hubby for the book for my birthday :)

Latest posts

Back