Shellac over tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glittergirl91

Reaction score
What is the best and strongest method for applying shellac over tips?
I can never get it right!!!
Yesterday I applied the tips as normal, used a thin layer of gel and then applied my CND shellac and the girl came back this morning with one broke and one breaking!! They were short enough to so I'm raging.

Help.

I would say Shellac is not strong enough for tips even with a little gel. I find that if a client has a split but not lost the nail, then a silk/fibreglass repair is usually good enough for a couple of weeks. However, in order to get length when none or very little exists then a full sculpt or tip with L&P or gel service is required then Shellac is added on top.

Karaxxx

I agree with you. I think it's either shellac on a natural nail or else a gel or acrylic extension.

However it is a treatment offered where I work. This is only my 2nd time to do it but both times they have broke.

I don't want to do a full on gel or acrylic nail as it will look thicker than the other natural ones.

When repairing them today I think I'll try acrylic rather than gel.

Hey :)
I'd say apply acrylic over the tip and nail for strength. Shellac offers no strength whatsoever! Even a thicker gel to go underneath the shellac might be too weak for an extension.
Hope this helps 💗

Yeah I'm swaying towards acrylic to be honest. It is stronger in my experience. I just don't want it to look noticeably thicker you know. Just gotta keep the beads small and slowly build it up a little xx

They are weekend nails where you apply a tip, blend and gel polish over the top. These only last a few days hence the name.

Its best to do a full gel or acrylic nail, finish file and then apply your gel polish as said above x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
No she doesn't want weekend nails. She wants them to last the two weeks. I don't believe in those weekend nails. Way to much effort and wasted product for the time they last.

In the end I used acrylic for strength under the shellac. I tested it for strength and it seemed perfect. Fingers crossed xx

Latest posts

Back