Shellac peeling - stressing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beauty-Box

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Im so confused I have had 1 client that I have done twice and her shellac is peeling off this must be something im doing wrong but what?? I thought at first it was because I used cream puff and its a but thicker. I pep the nails. Cool blue, cuticle away, deactivate cuticle away, scrub fresh then apply. Anything im doing wrong? She had 6 of them peel off last time and took the rest off. I have 2 lamps so dont think it could be both lamps. I have just taken bulbs out cleaned them with dsperse turned them over made sure they are all in properly anything else I can do. Im really worried I have another client that her thumb is peeling I havent had this before whats gone wrong :-( xxx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

When I cleaned my bulbs there was a few little bits of brisa gel when clients must of tapped the bulbs. I dont think it would be enough to effect the cure :-( xxx

Is it just her that's having a problem? if so then it can't be something you're doing it must either what's she's doing, not doing ie not using solar oil, or her nails are thin and bendy. If they bend and flex this can make the nail and Shellac part company from the free edge, once it lifts then it's very easy for the client to get a nail underneath and peel it straight off!

Karaxxx

I had 1 other client with her thumb starting to peel. I fixed it last night. Will shellac peel if the free edge isnt sealed properly? Maybe thats where im going wrong xxx

You dont really seal shellac as you do with other gel's you only really swipe across the free edge. Quite often with my nails they wear at the FE but dont lift, they only lift if my nails are weak and bendy (not often these days as I use IBX).

Karaxxx

Can I ask what lamp you are using?

CND Shellac will only cure in the CND lamp or the vintage Brisa lamp. The Brisa lamp isn't a 5 finger curing lamp, so you'd need to put the thumbs in separately. (also make sure you give your Shellac a good shake before you apply it).

If you are using the correct lamp, just make sure all the bulbs are lighting up and your client has her hand fully placed inside the lamp.

In saying all that, don't automatically assume it's you that's in the wrong. Your client may have inadvertently touched off something to make them peel. Some oven cleaners for example.

Last edited:
Its a CND lamp im using. There has just been a few people that it has peeles with im maybe just focusing on them. I didnt know that some products like oven cleaner can make them peel. I have had a 10 year old that I done shellac on she had 2 fingers peel. She went swimming 2 days after would chlorine make shellac peel? Most people have had great results 3 weeks after and still on. It never peels with me but its just recently people are getting peeling its quite strange. Xxx

Its a CND lamp im using. There has just been a few people that it has peeles with im maybe just focusing on them. I didnt know that some products like oven cleaner can make them peel. I have had a 10 year old that I done shellac on she had 2 fingers peel. She went swimming 2 days after would chlorine make shellac peel? Most people have had great results 3 weeks after and still on. It never peels with me but its just recently people are getting peeling its quite strange. Xxx

Chlorine can affect them, but in my experience I've never found it to be an issue.

Your 10 year old may have flaky nails (most kids do) If the nail is flaky, the nails will still flake regardless of whether there's product on them, so it's not the Shellac that's peeling off, but her own natural nail and bringing the Shellac with it if you know what I mean.

It's odd that's it's only happening recently and you didn't have the problem before, which is what made me think it was a lamp issue.
Sometimes when clients wear a product successfully on their nails, they can become complacent and don't look after them like they used to.

It's very important to give them aftercare.

Shellac is an amazing product, but it's not an enhancement product and although it will offer strength, it's not bomb proof!

Yes those oven cleaners are a big no no... look at what they do to the inside of the oven? - If you leave them on long enough, the paint from the inside of the oven will melt... can you imagine what it would do to your nails? :Scared:

I thought it was maybe my bulbs I was hoping to see 1 of them out but all look good. If they have touched their fingers after scrub fresh could that cause them to peel? Some people seem to like to touch their nails after I have used scrub fresh I dont like saying dont touch your nails in case I sound like im being odd. But think I will start telling people before they even think about touching their nails its to dehydrate your nail so touching them will put oil on the nail. Xxx

I thought it was maybe my bulbs I was hoping to see 1 of them out but all look good. If they have touched their fingers after scrub fresh could that cause them to peel? Some people seem to like to touch their nails after I have used scrub fresh I dont like saying dont touch your nails in case I sound like im being odd. But think I will start telling people before they even think about touching their nails its to dehydrate your nail so touching them will put oil on the nail. Xxx

You've answered your own question there... I like that!! :lol:

I always explain why I'm using my Scrubfresh. I tell my client that her nails need to be temporarily dehydrated to get the best adhesion. I just nicely tell them to be careful not to put their hands in their hair, up to their face or even touch their nails, because as you say, they would transfer oil back onto the nail and yes, that could cause peeling later.

How many hours are left on your bulbs by they way?

Maybe a bit random but could it be suntan lotion? DEET can cause Shellac to peel and what with the sunny days we've had recently perhaps people have been applying this sort of product? Just a thought. :)

Just thinking the client that all hers peeled im sure she gave her nails a right good rub with her fingers I dont like saying after they hav touched something that I need to scrub fresh again but I will explain before they get to that point. I have 2 lamps they both have about 70 hours left. Xxx

Latest posts

Back