Shellac peeling

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makenna

Reaction score
I'm having huge problems with one of my regular Shellac ladies. Recently her shellac has been peeling within a few days of application. Before she came to me she had been getting shellac for a long time and getting nearly 3 weeks without problems. The first few times I did them we also got 3 weeks wear.
The last 4 applications haven't lasted at all. I haven't changed my process, at first I thought it was the new express top coat, so for the last appointment I switched back to the old top coat, and she had peeling within 4 days.
She tells me she wears gloves for cleaning, and hasn't started using any new hand/body creams. I can't get her to use solar oil daily (tried and failed) but I'm getting so frustrated that it's peeling so quickly. My other shellac clients aren't getting any issues, the polish is still perfect when I remove it.
I'm not sure what to do.. I don't want to lose a client. She hasn't complained as such but I think there's only so many times she's going to put up with it until she goes somewhere else.
Any help hugely appreciated x

Is the shellac peeling or are her nails peeling and taking the shellac with them? Have you seen it after they peel? X

It's just the shellac, I have seen them and she sent me this picture
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1456667780.649816.jpg

Sorry it's not particularly clear.
I'm concerned it's something I'm doing wrong, I have 3 shellacs booked in for tomorrow and now really worried [emoji26]

Hi
I have had this problem with a client before, normally her shellac lasts weeks and then all of a sudden they started peeling, I advised her to have a two week break from shellac and apply a treatment and cuticle oil to her nails on a regular basis she did this and came back and her shellac lasts as normal, hope this helps.

Hi
I have had this problem with a client before, normally her shellac lasts weeks and then all of a sudden they started peeling, I advised her to have a two week break from shellac and apply a treatment and cuticle oil to her nails on a regular basis she did this and came back and her shellac lasts as normal, hope this helps.

We have already done this [emoji17] but thank you for replying.
She's not doing anything differently with her nails and I'm still using the whole system as taught so I'm really confused as to what's gone wrong.

Hello Makenna,

The exact sane thing has happened to two if my clients and unfortunately I have lost them :( I also didn't really know what to do to stop this. Of course there are things that can cause this like Medication, illness, weather etc but I also thought about bringing another gel polish brand in for these particular clients! Sorry this post isn't really any help, but thought you may like to know you aren't the only one x

Hello Makenna,

The exact sane thing has happened to two if my clients and unfortunately I have lost them :( I also didn't really know what to do to stop this. Of course there are things that can cause this like Medication, illness, weather etc but I also thought about bringing another gel polish brand in for these particular clients! Sorry this post isn't really any help, but thought you may like to know you aren't the only one x
Thank you for replying! I've also been thinking about another gel polish, but I can't afford to do that, especially for just 1 client!
I suppose it's just one of those things, but it is so frustrating xx

That's exactly how I feel :( xx

I've been having the exact same problem - I thought it was the new topcoat also since its so much thinner so I started doing 2 thin coats of thE express top coat rather than one thick one which is what I was advised by my CND Trainer when I contacted them. Although this has solved a few clients problems I've still had the odd client whose shellac just seems to be peeling away rather than actually chipping it just pops off instead! I totally understand where you're coming from, it's so disheartening to hear that type of feedback from clients

On problem Problem clients, 1 in particular on which nothing seems to last (even l&p & gel) her nails just have that shiny/oily look & feel, not particularly strong either. Anyway I had 1 last trick up my sleeve last time she had shellac which I found really helped. I prepped as usual & after scrub freshing I used nail fresh before applying my base coat, this really made a difference to her! Although not strictly protocol I am a seasoned tech with enough knowledge & experience to experiment, after all I had nothing to lose with this client. HTH X

I had this and lost one, was on the verge of losing another

I bought s few Gellux and they've been fine, last 3 weeks where CND shellac was going 6-10 days. Luckily one client always has French, (the one I lost) so I lured her back with a freebie and she's been regular ever since plus my other lady is happy too, I've only got a few gellux shades but it's nice to know when shellac fails I can offer that.

On problem Problem clients, 1 in particular on which nothing seems to last (even l&p & gel) her nails just have that shiny/oily look & feel, not particularly strong either. Anyway I had 1 last trick up my sleeve last time she had shellac which I found really helped. I prepped as usual & after scrub freshing I used nail fresh before applying my base coat, this really made a difference to her! Although not strictly protocol I am a seasoned tech with enough knowledge & experience to experiment, after all I had nothing to lose with this client. HTH X

I had considered nail fresh, but her nails aren't oily. After scrub fresh they are white and chalky. I was concerned that nail fresh would dry out her nails too much. Thank you though x

I had this and lost one, was on the verge of losing another

I bought s few Gellux and they've been fine, last 3 weeks where CND shellac was going 6-10 days. Luckily one client always has French, (the one I lost) so I lured her back with a freebie and she's been regular ever since plus my other lady is happy too, I've only got a few gellux shades but it's nice to know when shellac fails I can offer that.

I have been thinking about this! Would I have a problem with the lamp though? Or can u just use my CND lamp?

It's just the shellac, I have seen them and she sent me this picture
View attachment 194681
Sorry it's not particularly clear.
I'm concerned it's something I'm doing wrong, I have 3 shellacs booked in for tomorrow and now really worried [emoji26]

Looking at this picture alone I can see some on her sidewalls also it seems a little thick?

Looking at this picture alone I can see some on her sidewalls also it seems a little thick?

Do you mean on the right side of the middle finger? I can't work out what that is but I wouldn't have let her go in the lamp with it like that! [emoji85]
This was quite thick, I had 2 x rock royalty then 1 x Nordic lights
I was so careful to use thin coats last time. But there was still peeling really quickly. I haven't heard from her in a few weeks though so I think she may have jumped ship xx

Always a shame when they leave, it plays on your mind for ages! It could possibly be the layers, that's 5 layers of product which would have been thick which could have caused this. Maybe try rockstar instead?

I have a couple of ladies that the same thing happened and I use IBD powerbond on them and it now doesn't budge at all. It's an easy extra step as it airdries in seconds [emoji3]

Always a shame when they leave, it plays on your mind for ages! It could possibly be the layers, that's 5 layers of product which would have been thick which could have caused this. Maybe try rockstar instead?

I would have thought so too but even when I've applied only 2 thin colour coats the peeling still happens. I wonder if her nails are too brittle? Would that affect it?

I have a couple of ladies that the same thing happened and I use IBD powerbond on them and it now doesn't budge at all. It's an easy extra step as it airdries in seconds [emoji3]

Does it interfere with the shellac at all?

Latest posts

Back