Shellac polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa13

lisa
Reaction score
Is gel polish classed as shellac polish

Shellac, with a capital S, is a trademarked brand which is CND Shellac. No other gel polish can be referred to as Shellac. Other gel polishes, are simply that, gel polish. The service can only be referred to as Shellac if using CND ALSO.

"Shellac is a resin secreted by the female lac bug, on trees in the forests of India and Thailand. It is processed and sold as dry flakes (pictured at right) and dissolved in ethanol to make liquid shellac, which is used as a brush-on colorant, food glaze and wood finish. Shellac functions as a tough natural primer, sanding sealant, tannin-blocker, odour-blocker, stain, and high-gloss varnish. Shellac was once used in electrical applications as it possesses good insulation qualities and it seals out moisture. Phonograph (gramophone) records were also made of it during the 78-rpm recording era which ended in Western countries during the 1950s.

From the time it replaced oil and wax finishes in the 19th century, shellac was one of the dominant wood finishes in the western world until it was largely replaced by nitrocellulose lacquer in the 1920s and 1930s."
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

From what I can gather on CND has taken up this name and "Tradmarked it" as CND Shellac, So other gel polishes cannot call themselves "Shellac" Does CND shellac contain this resin, or its just branding, answer is I do not know? Maybe someone on here from CND could put us straight?

Sorry guys, but I used to work for a paint company years ago, and every time I hear Shellac mentioned I think of 1 litre cans of varnish for painting wood or fine furniture!

It doesn't contain the bug resin, it's 100% vegan. So it is literally just the branding, haha yes I think of varnish too [emoji85] lol

CND Shellac is a hybrid gel polish. It's not 100% gel

Latest posts

Back