Shellac pricing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsallnewtome

Reaction score
I've just been and bought my shellac kit from the Manchester academy and will be doing my training in the next couple of weeks. I've been researching the prices in my area and some salons are charging £12.00!!! I was hoping to charge £20 but now I'm thinking I will be charging to much :(. £12 seems very cheap to me x. What do you think x

Hi, when I did my Shellac courses at the Manchester Academy a few months ago we were told that we really should not be charging under £20, I'm just starting out and I'm going to be charging £20. x

If you charge as cheap as £12 clients will treat their nails as so! I deffinatly suggest charge more :) the clients that will want a quality service such as this will pay! you will get more clients with a cheaper price maybe but you want them to respect you and the product and you need to make this worth your while, it is not just your time and product cost you have invested in yourself your knowledge and training attract lovely clients not Micky takers :) x

Charge your worth!! I charge £25 and have had bookings, £28 for reshellac :) don't worry about the silly Billys. I saw a girl in my area charging £15 and resisted the urge to ask her if she was using bluesky or cnd...x

When I did my training we were told £25 was the recommended price. As I work from home I decided to charge £20 and a ring round soon told me this was quite high for my area. In my area Shellac starts at £8 and top is £26.

I ran an initial offer but as soon as my offer closed my appointments dropped off. I have dropped the price to £16 as several of my clients have had it done for this price in a local salon and it stayed on 3 weeks, and they politely and not unkindly wanted to know why mine was £20 working from home with no overheads.

Anyway basically I matched it and now those clients are mine (cos they like me best lol:green:) and every person who phones to ask the price, then books. And comes back. And recommends me.

In theory I would love to have held out for £25, or at least £20. But in practice, well, I didn't spend hundreds on a course and products only to sit here and have no Shellac customers, so while I agree that you should "charge your worth", your "worth" is what someone is prepared to pay, and I'd rather be working than not.

I think it's largely down to area as well, we are swamped in my area with beauty/nail/hair shops, plus mobiles, and it has made things very competitive.

When I did my training we were told £25 was the recommended price. As I work from home I decided to charge £20 and a ring round soon told me this was quite high for my area. In my area Shellac starts at £8 and top is £26.

I ran an initial offer but as soon as my offer closed my appointments dropped off. I have dropped the price to £16 as several of my clients have had it done for this price in a local salon and it stayed on 3 weeks, and they politely and not unkindly wanted to know why mine was £20 working from home with no overheads.

Anyway basically I matched it and now those clients are mine (cos they like me best lol:green:) and every person who phones to ask the price, then books. And comes back. And recommends me.

In theory I would love to have held out for £25, or at least £20. But in practice, well, I didn't spend hundreds on a course and products only to sit here and have no Shellac customers, so while I agree that you should "charge your worth", your "worth" is what someone is prepared to pay, and I'd rather be working than not.

I think it's largely down to area as well, we are swamped in my area with beauty/nail/hair shops, plus mobiles, and it has made things very competitive.

Hi blossom
£8 is that right or a typo?????
Vicki xx

Hi blossom
£8 is that right or a typo?????
Vicki xx

Fraid its not a typo.

That's for real.

That's no cuticle work and no nail shaping mind, but just the Shellac application. But it does stay on (apparently) so if you care to shape your own nails before you go in, you can apparently get a bit of a bargain :sad: If they were just nails they would surely go out of business but their other treatments/hair hold them up.

Fraid its not a typo.

That's for real.

That's no cuticle work and no nail shaping mind, but just the Shellac application. But it does stay on (apparently) so if you care to shape your own nails before you go in, you can apparently get a bit of a bargain :sad: If they were just nails they would surely go out of business but their other treatments/hair hold them up.
£8 or not, I'm astonished anyone pays for that :suprised:

We charge £12.50 for application only, if manicure is needed we have 3 different types of manicures £15, £20, £30 this includes normal polish but if wantung shellac applied it is then £12.50 on top of price. Same to have more shellac clients since we had a slight price increase. Please note it has never been less than £12.50 the shellac. Just the add on has applied rather than having a shellac manicure the client can chose how deluxe of a treatment they want x

We charge £12.50 for application only, if manicure is needed we have 3 different types of manicures £15, £20, £30 this includes normal polish but if wantung shellac applied it is then £12.50 on top of price. Same to have more shellac clients since we had a slight price increase. Please note it has never been less than £12.50 the shellac. Just the add on has applied rather than having a shellac manicure the client can chose how deluxe of a treatment they want x

Curiously how do you apply shellac if your not doing a basic mani as part of the service? Does anyone just pay the £12.50? What are your results and client retention at that price?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

Great results, every salon in our area offers application only alongside the manicures. We would be silly not to really. A lot of people sort their nails out before app.

£8 or not, I'm astonished anyone pays for that :suprised:

The trouble is, the general public (especially those that have never had the full Shellac treatment), don't realise that they are cutting corners. As long as they cut the cost, eh . . . . crikey what a mentality . . . . but then I've heard it stays on so ? Bummer though

Do you charge extra to soak off when they want another application? Please say its not included lol

The trouble is, the general public (especially those that have never had the full Shellac treatment), don't realise that they are cutting corners. As long as they cut the cost, eh . . . . crikey what a mentality . . . . but then I've heard it stays on so ? Bummer though
That's true enough.

For me, if I'm going to a salon I want to feel pampered and I'd rather pay an extra £10/15 if it's going to be done properly. But then I guess that's me looking at it with my nail techs' eyes? £8, eh!

P.S. When I told the Mr. about the £8 charge, his first words were 'that's madness :eek:' and his second.... 'it's not anywhere near you though... right?' :lol: I feel for you, I really do - glad you're all booked up though :)

yes its £5 extra for shellac removal. Some people don't mind others just assume its free like removing ordinary polish. A very local salon have an offer on at the minute under cutting us at £10 for application and file. Would never go any lower than the £12.50.

Right, there is no way i would even offer a Shellac without all the prep (that's supposed) to go with it.. I charge £26 and that's about right for my area, though their is a girl near me charging £15 for just a file and Shellac that i know isn't v busy..

I'm mega busy with Shellac and charge what i'm worth, and what it's worth. If you start off charging way below the odds, you will then never be able to increase your prices without losing clients. You also attract the wrong type of client too, don't do it!

Everyone's different and work with different clients who hav different views, different area, different salons to compete with, so i believe its up to the beauty therapist to deciede. Another salon near me offers 50% off any treatment on clients 1st visit to their salon. Which i think is personally quite silly, as we are based in a tourist village in North Yorkshire meaning clients are
Sometimes one offs. Shellac at this salon is £15 for application only taking it down to £7.50 so even cheaper than the £8. But this is on their 1st visit only. Then a following 25% off their 2nd x

Ive seen shellac as low as £5 and currently at £8. I find it a shame. In a society of bargain hunters everybody loves a bargain hence premium treatments being offered for pennies. I can totally appreciate why people offer at low prices to build a clientele ......but ongoing it just doesn't make sense.
I work with a lot of local salons who quite rightly have expressed concern about how cut priced shellac is affecting the industry in our area. My advice don't sell your self short! Charge accordingly for a PREMIUM service.
I also believe that the cut price doesn't necessarily mean using duff products or cutting corners it just screams desperation. I would love to be backed by brands that a forced a minimum price. I've sat an calculated the costs to show my fellow salons and the maths speaks for its self when you consider all of the costs involved and paying your self minimum wage .....at least! Xx

Hi all

I really dont understand how anyone can be earning much on £8 - £12.50 for shellac. I just wouldnt waste my time. I thought it costs about £8 to do a shellac so how can they make money.

I charge £22 for colour, £24.50 for french and a special deal im doing on the moment is £25 for rockstars. My clients come to me because I am a perfectionist and they love me doing there nails even though I tke longer than some people, some people are slap dash and just throw it on, I take so much care and make sure there nails look great, but thats how I get my clients, mostly through recommendations.

Dont undercut yourself, the products are not cheap so dont sell yourself cheap. X

Im so glad Ive seen this thread. I charge £25 for what I call a standard Shellac and that includes file shape and obviously all pep. I wouldnt offer it without it. I had tho just noticed that a high end salon near me is offering this:

Shellac £25
Shellac Mani £40

So I called them and found that the difference is that the "Shellac only" is just application!

So theyve gone the other way and are charging £40 for what I charge £25 for!!!

Crazy!!!

Latest posts

Back