Shellac problems and layering option

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlene

Reaction score

Hi there,

I had a new shellac client 2 weeks ago who I did with the rose bud colour. I spoke to her yesterday to re-schedule her appointment and she advised that they had only lasted 1 week and that they were all completely off now. I am not sure where I went wrong as I used as I do not usually have this problem. My only thoughts were that the ends of her nails were a little damaged as she used to have gels on. Any thoughts on whether this might be the problem? I did advise her at the time of appointment that they may not last as long due to this reason. At this stage she has booked in for a re-application tomorrow to give it another chance. If not she had said they may not be compatible with her nails and go back to getting gels which I do not offer.

She is also after a pinky/purple shellac colour (not too dark). Can anyone suggest a good layering option for this?

Thank you for any feedback.

Hi there,

I had a new shellac client 2 weeks ago who I did with the rose bud colour. I spoke to her yesterday to re-schedule her appointment and she advised that they had only lasted 1 week and that they were all completely off now. I am not sure where I went wrong as I used as I do not usually have this problem. My only thoughts were that the ends of her nails were a little damaged as she used to have gels on. Any thoughts on whether this might be the problem? I did advise her at the time of appointment that they may not last as long due to this reason. At this stage she has booked in for a re-application tomorrow to give it another chance. If not she had said they may not be compatible with her nails and go back to getting gels which I do not offer.

She is also after a pinky/purple shellac colour (not too dark). Can anyone suggest a good layering option for this?

Thank you for any feedback.

She has picked the product off but the damage won't have helped either.

CND do not advise to use Shellac on over damaged nails. Shellac is for women who wear polish and have healthy natural nails My advice is charge for a re-do and use top coat twice for some extra strength. Keep the nails short and tell the client it will take 3 months for her damage to grow out.

It is VERY rare for people who have healthy natural nails to be unsuited to Shellac! And these people would probably tell you that they cannot keep polish on either :D

Purple purple with strawberry smoothie?

Thanks Geeg, I appreciate your advice and I will give that a go.

I did warn her not to peel it if any chipped but l do find it odd they are completely off. I have not used 2 coats of the shellac top coat before will this be ok in terms of thickness?

Also thanks for the layering option, I will give that a go. :p

Another nice layering combination is Purple purple with moonlight and roses.

Thanks Geeg, I appreciate your advice and I will give that a go.

I did warn her not to peel it if any chipped but l do find it odd they are completely off. I have not used 2 coats of the shellac top coat before will this be ok in terms of thickness?

Also thanks for the layering option, I will give that a go. :p
The other layering option sounds nice to and is less frosted.

Many are reporting that on damaged nails, the extra layer of Top Coat is just the extra boost these clients need (depends on the severity of the damage naturally). Length is also a key factor.

I find that the shorter the better to start with and the client has a better chance of growing out the damage. You have to let your clients know what their commitment is and they have to work together with you on this growing out business and for a good long time .. for 3 months they can expect problems, and if they have them then they have to pay and persevere until the nails recover.

I have a client with split nails. Vertically. Every third application I apply a soak off builder gel to her tips on the damaged finger and thumb. It definitely lasts longer. I've also seen holly (fingernailfixer) do it with fiberglass. I suppose silk might work, as well for adding some strength. :)

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I have a client with split nails. Vertically. Every third application I apply a soak off builder gel to her tips on the damaged finger and thumb. It definitely lasts longer. I've also seen holly (fingernailfixer) do it with fiberglass. I suppose silk might work, as well for adding some strength. :)

If I have a split nail, I patch with L&P ... Just a small patch over the split. It works marvellously to just reinforce a tiny area.

I have a lady who gets the occasional split. For her I apply the bad coat of shellac, then before curing lay on a piece of silk which is cut to fit the whole nail. Press it down with an orange stick. Cure, then proceed with the normal shellac manicure. It's worked beautifully.

I have a lady who gets the occasional split. For her I apply the bad coat of shellac, then before curing lay on a piece of silk which is cut to fit the whole nail. Press it down with an orange stick. Cure, then proceed with the normal shellac manicure. It's worked beautifully.

I presume you meant BASE Coat of Shellac! :D

If I have a split nail, I patch with L&P ... Just a small patch over the split. It works marvellously to just reinforce a tiny area.

I used l&p originally, She doesn't like the smell. :) and I'm allergic to most odorless monomers. Yay, me. Lol

Latest posts

Back