Shellac problems-help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceri P

Reaction score
One of my clients regularly has shellac but constantly finds that after a 1 week they start to lift at the ends. I know I am preparing them and applying it correctly as I have lots of other clients who don't have any problems and some manage to keep them on for 3 weeks and just return because of the gap from new nail growth. When I apply the colour to her nails it rapidly shrinks back and I have to wipe over the end again before I cure them. Does anyone have any suggestions. She loves having her nails done but is becoming frustrated that they just dont last. Could it just be that shellac isn't for her? HELP!

One of my clients regularly has shellac but constantly finds that after a 1 week they start to lift at the ends. I know I am preparing them and applying it correctly as I have lots of other clients who don't have any problems and some manage to keep them on for 3 weeks and just return because of the gap from new nail growth. When I apply the colour to her nails it rapidly shrinks back and I have to wipe over the end again before I cure them. Does anyone have any suggestions. She loves having her nails done but is becoming frustrated that they just dont last. Could it just be that shellac isn't for her? HELP!
Not each nail surface is the same. If your customer has an oily nail surface, it could happen that Shellac doesn't stick to her nails (or not as long as it is suppose to be). You could buffer the nails before applying the base coat, but that's not the purpose of Shellac off course ;)

Thanks, but I do give them a light brush over with the sanding block and also use a nail dehydrator, but still no joy :confused:

I find that sometimes, clients nails are just too thin and bendy for shellac and benefit from a gel overlay. Shellac does harden them alot, but depending on their lifestyle, it maybe that they need a little more strength. Fiberglass overlay is another good option as that again is thin but adds just enough strength, to improve the shellac

Thanks, but I do give them a light brush over with the sanding block and also use a nail dehydrator, but still no joy :confused:

Have you done a training class?

I did a gel nails course, then decided to use shellac and gelish instead of gels.

Is gel going to harden them more than the shellac then? Would you use a gel then 2 coats of shellac colour then finish with shellac top coat?

You are using shellac completely wrong. There is no need to buff whatsoever or dry brush or whatever. You need to make sure you are scrubfreshing under the free edge and sweeping along the free edge with all your coats. That's if you are even using scrubfresh?

A class would help as from what you have wrote you aren't using the system as it is meant.

You are using shellac completely wrong. There is no need to buff whatsoever or dry brush or whatever. You need to make sure you are scrubfreshing under the free edge and sweeping along the free edge with all your coats. That's if you are even using scrubfresh?

A class would help as from what you have wrote you aren't using the system as it is meant.
As Lolly says Shellac is a system from PEP to the CND lamp if you don't follow the system you will get service breakdown.

I do use scrub fresh and followed the instructions from the CND site on how to apply. Bearing in mind all my other clients don't have any problems I cant be going that wrong! I just thought I would ask some of the other geeks out there if they could perhaps suggest a solution to my one client problem.

If you tell us all the steps you're following for this client people will be able to help a bit more, are you using all CND prep products and lamp?

Latest posts

Back