Shellac removal help! What have I done wrong?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjmadmum

Reaction score
I hope the picture is attached.

Can I get your help geeks. I am Shellac trained, do all prep, remove with Nourishing Remover for 8 mins. So here my client returns to me after 3 weeks for a re-shellac. I left remover on for 8 mins and the Shellac hadn't budged, so re-wrapped for a further 2 minutes and this was the result. I then spent ages just rubbing in more nourishing remover, but the nails actually looked stained. Not sure if the picture shows it looks stained though. I eventually had to use a koala buffer to gently remove the colour. I could still see some base coat and wondered if I had not done it thin enough, but after reading some threads on here about nails staining was wondering if I had done the base coat too thin?

I then found out my client wasn't using her Solar oil and was wondering if this could be the problem. Or was it because it was on for 3 weeks? Then I remembered having a similar problem when I used this colour (Hot Chillis) on a pedi a few months back, so was wondering could it be a problem with this colour?

Sorry for so many questions just trying to find a solution as the client was not happy, kept moaning about the state of her nails, and got me in such a pickle I actually ended up dropping my lamp :sad:. She still has some colour left on her nails, and have got her booked in for a re-shellac next week to try and rectify her problem, so would really like to have an idea as to what's happened, whether its down to me, or any other ideas. x

Attachments

• IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 2,515
The longer shellac is on the nails the longer it will take to remove. Solar oil most definitely helps with removal. It's not the color, hot chilis is one of my favorites. How thick you apply color and top coat matters as well, not just your base coat. I have one client (my mom!) whose nails always look like this upon removal. She does not use solar oil regularly. Since I don't get this problem with anyone else I figure it must be her nails. Are you using the wraps or cotton and foil? Are you saturating the cotton or pad completely and making sure it's tight on the finger? For my mom, I know removal will take longer than 8 min so I time her for 12.

Hi, this happens to me quite often. I've realised the problem is me.
My base coat on stubborn removals is far to thick.
When I say thick, it is actually very thin, but the base coat needs to be extremely thin but have even coverage.
The products are fully tested so they do what they say on the tin.
It is usually the application that's the problem (like with mine)
Hope this helps
X

Caroline
Nail Vibe x

In the picture it does not look like staining to me but rather remaining Shellac which has not been fully removed.

Ensure, your remover wraps or cotton (whatever it is you use to remove Shellac) is fully soaked in the CND remover and tightly wrapped so it is making good contact with the nail. I would also leave them to soak for longer than 8 minutes.

I begin with the thumb, then do the other fingers on one hand and then repeat with the other hand and then offer your client a cuppa or use this time to turn on your lamps, fill in client card etc. just before removing your wraps/foil, take each finger individually and gently roll each wrap in a circular motion over the nail. This further helps to remove the Shellac neatly.

That's happened to me before on a client and was be us see wasn't using the solar oil enough (I new she wasn't but this proved it) I told her to start using it and voila 2 weeks later came of properly. I got her to use it 3 times a day for the 2 weeks after she admitted to using as and when she remembered, she now does use it religiously and says she really is glad she does now.

Also agree, thin thin thin to win on base coat, if your doing it thin, do it thinner lol, it will help too.

instersting enough i had this problem last week with a pedicure, my client wears shellac reguraly on her hand s and is religous with solar oil on her hands but hadnt used it on her toes so 6 weeks later with out solar oil = a very difficult removal ,her finger shellac changed every 2 weeks s with solar oil 8mins perfect and complete removal . so we both looked at each other and said SOLAR OIL make all the differnace much laughter all round but it is the key to removal .:wink2:

It just looks like it hasn't fully removed and with it being on for three weeks with no Solar Oil it's not really surprising that eight minutes would leave it like this.

Although saying that, whenever I ReShellac my friends toes which is roughly every six weeks, I use DSolve for ten minutes and it comes off like a flippin dream and she does not use her oil like she should. I wish it would remove that cleanly for me on fingers!

Thanks ladies, all your comments have really helped me. :biggrin: xx

Latest posts

Back