Shellac removal oddities

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaisylaMaise

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some assistance/advice in removing Shellac from a client. I've not experienced what I am seeing before, and having searched the previous threads and tried each option, I am now stuck as to what to try next?

This particular client came to me a month or so ago, having had Shellac (genuine, I've checked) applied at a couple of salons, but been finding it difficult to get appointments to suit her availability.

The first time she came, I wrapped as normal, using CND Nourishing Remover and CND Wraps and left for the required 8 minutes. When I came to remove, the Shellac had lifted as I would expect on the top part of her nail, but was still perfectly intact towards and on her free edge. As I hadn't applied the Shellac originally, I put it down to too much base coat, and re-wrapped until I was able to get a clean removal.

I reapplied Shellac, by only dipping back into the base coat bottle twice, once for each hand, and applied thin layers of her chosen colour (Pink Bikini), some additives for ombre fade and then a thin layer of top coat.

When she returned two weeks later, I had exactly the same problem. The Shellac lifted perfectly from the top part of her nail, but remained firmly in place towards the bottom and her free edge.

This has now happened several times. I have tried wraps, magis wraps and cotton wool pads and foil, all with nourishing remover and nothing seems to be making a difference. I can't soak the pads any more than I am doing.

I have checked on her use of SolarOil, and she has said she is using it twice a day.

I don't understand what is going on, as I haven't had this happen with any of my other clients or myself. The only thing I can think of is she's not using the solar oil towards the ends of her nails, and given the fact that they are quite long, and are therefore 'older' that dryness is causing the Shellac to hang on for grim life!

Has anyone had a similar experience or any ideas on what I am doing wrong that I need to change? I'm starting to dread this clients appointments and really want to get to the bottom of this.

:sad:

Hi I had the same issue today with a client, but removing opi gel colour. The only thing I could think was delamination of the free edge was causing the additional 'bond' of the product. I just buffed the top coat lightly on the stubborn nail rewrapped on the colour coats and left for another 10 mins, pushing product off gently with a beechwood stick. This particular client has quite long nails now so they will probably be dryer. I don't think my client is very good with cuticle oil use so this won't help. Annoying isn't it, so If any geeks have extra tips on quicker removal I would also be interested.
Xxx

Sent from my HTC Desire X using SalonGeek mobile app

As heat speeds up the removal process then Shellac will lift off the nail bed faster than the free edge, due to body heat. I would leave the wraps on a couple of minutes longer to help make sure it removes from the whole nail.

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some assistance/advice in removing Shellac from a client. I've not experienced what I am seeing before, and having searched the previous threads and tried each option, I am now stuck as to what to try next?

This particular client came to me a month or so ago, having had Shellac (genuine, I've checked) applied at a couple of salons, but been finding it difficult to get appointments to suit her availability.

The first time she came, I wrapped as normal, using CND Nourishing Remover and CND Wraps and left for the required 8 minutes. When I came to remove, the Shellac had lifted as I would expect on the top part of her nail, but was still perfectly intact towards and on her free edge. As I hadn't applied the Shellac originally, I put it down to too much base coat, and re-wrapped until I was able to get a clean removal.

I reapplied Shellac, by only dipping back into the base coat bottle twice, once for each hand, and applied thin layers of her chosen colour (Pink Bikini), some additives for ombre fade and then a thin layer of top coat.

When she returned two weeks later, I had exactly the same problem. The Shellac lifted perfectly from the top part of her nail, but remained firmly in place towards the bottom and her free edge.

This has now happened several times. I have tried wraps, magis wraps and cotton wool pads and foil, all with nourishing remover and nothing seems to be making a difference. I can't soak the pads any more than I am doing.

I have checked on her use of SolarOil, and she has said she is using it twice a day.

I don't understand what is going on, as I haven't had this happen with any of my other clients or myself. The only thing I can think of is she's not using the solar oil towards the ends of her nails, and given the fact that they are quite long, and are therefore 'older' that dryness is causing the Shellac to hang on for grim life!

Has anyone had a similar experience or any ideas on what I am doing wrong that I need to change? I'm starting to dread this clients appointments and really want to get to the bottom of this.

:sad:

Try applying a bean bag for extra heat & buff the free edge a little before wrapping.

Thanks for the comments. My client is in today, so I shall try a combination of gentle filing and extra heat. Fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back