Shellac removal prices, and clients with polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:( Removing OTHER peoples work is NOT part of MY job, maybe yours, I think you are missing my point here,,

Honestly, I don't think I AM missing the point. If someone comes in for a mani and they have polish on, it's the nail professional's job to remove it, no matter who put it on. You asked for advice and I gave my OPINION. :)

I get it that mega coats of dark polish is a b*tch to remove but that's part of our business.

Last edited:
Secondly how are you all encorporating shellac removal into your prices? I didn't even consider this when begining to offer this and now the past two weeks I have started having re-booking for new colour I am begining to wander if I should of stated this in the begining? I charge £15 for colour or £17 for french and they get same as minx manicure or file and polish. Yet when returning in 2-3 weeks I am using remover etc, at the moment I am using cotton wall balls soaked in acetone placed on nail and wrapped in pre cut foil 5-10 mins i remove and voila,,,,,. Should I charge an extra £5 for this as it takes 15mins approx cost etc or should I just leave it as the price it is.[/SIZE] I currently charge £12 for removal of enhancments, yet not many clients have removals, but I think shellac users will be more inclined to pay than do it themselves, as I find they are more concerned about there natural nails than the die hard L&P P&W users lol..iygwim xxxx

Thanks guys x

Katiebaby you really should be considering charging this extra £5.00 for removal if not then at least up your shellac prices to include free removal because £15.00 is way too cheap. :biggrin: You have had good training and use good qaulity products so don't undersell yourself hun, you will regrete it at a later date like we all do when first starting out. x

I don't think it has ever bothered me at all. I may have had a couple of clients bother me in my time but not the fact that they require a little bit more work.

Maybe I am missing the point but I am assuming these are clients where you have not done the previous treatment, hence they are new clients? If so then surely you want them to return. Different if, halfway through, you decide you don't want them as clients but you only have a short time to make a good impression and, although I fall short of saying that nothing is too much trouble, I would say that removing something like nail polish or minx is not such a great price to pay.

I am in a good position now with a full book up to now but I achieved this by doing just a little bit more than the other salons in my area. :D:D

I don't think it has ever bothered me at all. I may have had a couple of clients bother me in my time but not the fact that they require a little bit more work.

Maybe I am missing the point but I am assuming these are clients where you have not done the previous treatment, hence they are new clients? If so then surely you want them to return. Different if, halfway through, you decide you don't want them as clients but you only have a short time to make a good impression and, although I fall short of saying that nothing is too much trouble, I would say that removing something like nail polish or minx is not such a great price to pay.

I am in a good position now with a full book up to now but I achieved this by doing just a little bit more than the other salons in my area. :D:D

I TOTALLY agree with your post!

I've asked some clients today how THEY would feel if I asked them to remove their polish. They all said they'd be shopping for a new nail tech. Can't say I blame 'em.

I would not dream of asking one of my clients to either, my point is how annoying it is, I would not dream of walking into a salon as a new client to get a service such as minx or shellac, which is not a mani or pedi might I add, and still have 4 week old polish on my toes.

I was faced with a situation where I had a group booking for minx and as I was setting up the first lady looked at her feet and said oh I have been meaning to take this off all day but couldnt be bothered,,, so I politely said whilst I set up If she wouldn't mind as it would be quicker and save me time, and I had ran out of gloves and was annoyed at the prospect of having to get my acetone out and risk my lovely shellac, arghhhh:sad::sad: and if the other 7 ladies had polish like this then I cant see the harm. yes I would do it again.

I am a good tech invest in good education and good products, I think you are trying to make it sound as though I would ask every client I go to to remove polish whilst I sit and watch:twisted::twisted:

I guess some of us will have to agree to disagree. I consider it my job in all cases. No one is saying you are not a good tech. Some of us have just expressed our opinion from both a client and tech point of view. This is a big forum and people are bound to not always agree.

I guess some of us will have to agree to disagree. I consider it my job in all cases. No one is saying you are not a good tech. Some of us have just expressed our opinion from both a client and tech point of view. This is a big forum and people are bound to not always agree.

Amen! :hug:

Attitude, a second amen to that but you'll find that the philosophy doesn't always work in here :D

Removing OTHER peoples work is NOT part of MY job, maybe yours

Whether it's my job or not is immaterial. I want their cash and their continued custom so it's part of the service I offer.

I simply incorporate polish removal into the price as I do with Shellac removal.

I just found that people will always come in with polish and rather than lose time (and money) because of it, I just decided to include it in the fee.

That way, the client doesn't feel affronted and you don't lose out on $$.

I wouldnt ask clients to take of their colour, for the reasons above and also, if they are wearing " whatever polish or enhancements", up to the point they come in to see you, the majority of clients love what they have on their finger nails and they like wearing nail product enough to pay you for a proper job on their nails with whatever system and with a Pampered proper service-they want value for their money

Maybe an idea would be communicating with your clients at the beginning - ask them whilst your booking them in

1. What system, polish are they using at the moment?

2. What condition would they say there nails are in?

3.Do they want a change, so will they require soaking off,?

ETC........................

Question, Question and if its your worse scenario, simply say that we will need time to do this so would you mind arriving at xxxxx please. If they arrive and its worse youve allowed the time.

You can then ask and will know if they need soaking off when you rebook them in.

I know some clients are not honest, It is a learning curve, but for me communication and questions are the key to knowing your clients,

Over the last few days since this thread started, I've asked my clients if they'd take offence if I asked them to remove their old enamel prior to their appointment.
Most said no if it was a problem to me, but that lack of time was a factor. They didn't mind doing it once they were inside my salon, but spare time at home was at a premium. (how long do they think it takes to remove enamel ????:rolleyes:)
Some said that they did not have remover at home (cue some of my retail speil)
2 said that I do it better.
Some said that it's all part of the 'pampering' experience.
One said that she could not bear to look at her nails unpolished for even a minute:Scared:
But on the whole, they considered it MY job. So, that's me told !!!!!

That was just a small survey of my clients .................and it gave me a topic of conversation into the bargain.

I think deep down we all get irked at times when a client comes in with old polish still left on their nails.If it's a regular I tend to bring it into the conversation that ten mins removing their old polish is ten mins less time on their manicure or pedicure.I usually say I would rather my nail tech spent that extra time on hard skin removal(pedi)etc

Its all said so the client doesn't feel I am being rude and this would only be to my regular clients who I felt I could say this to,never to a new client who could possibly misunderstand my intentions.

As for asking a client to remove their own polishI would never ask them it would be like me asking a client to remove her make up before I did her facial or remove her mascara before I did an eyelash perm and tint....it's all part of the service,they walk through the door and that for me is where the pampering begins.

I'm not saying I enjoy having to take someone elses polish off but for me it's part of the job,regardless of who put it on.JMHO:D

OMG!

It never crossed my mind that removing nail polish was not a part of my job!!!!

What are you talking about? So if a client comes in for example who has enhancements on by someone else I will be annoyed at them? Hell no!! I will do my bloody best so that client will never go anywhere else! Specially if their ex therapist cannot be bothered to scrub their black nail varnish off!

We are professionals for Gods sake!

Who cares what they had or have on! Be glad the client is actually there!

Imagine me changing the dentist and him/her be bothered about drilling out my old filling! No chance I will go back!

Going for extra mile, making each client to feel special is a part of successfully build clientele!

If it's not your job to remove clients old nail varnish, may be you should not do this job anyway!

Sorry if it makes someone upset, just my point of view!

I suppose we are all different and have different views on it. Majority of my ladies come with polish on and I remove it and not think twice. I wouldn't ask them to remove it and besides , like others have said, they usulally leave half of it behind anyway! lol

I know how i feel when I have no polish off my toes i can't let them be seen :o....I had to have an op where they made me remove my enhancements and my nail polish.....I was traumatised...Within 24 hrs of the op it was all back on and it was agony to do but it was the only way i started to be human again!

I have my first Shellac booking on Thursday and thank you all for the pricing recommendations. I can't get Dsperse anywhere...is the gel wipe off ok:?:

OMG!

It never crossed my mind that removing nail polish was not a part of my job!!!!

What are you talking about? So if a client comes in for example who has enhancements on by someone else I will be annoyed at them? Hell no!! I will do my bloody best so that client will never go anywhere else! Specially if their ex therapist cannot be bothered to scrub their black nail varnish off!

We are professionals for Gods sake!

Who cares what they had or have on! Be glad the client is actually there!

Imagine me changing the dentist and him/her be bothered about drilling out my old filling! No chance I will go back!

Going for extra mile, making each client to feel special is a part of successfully build clientele!

If it's not your job to remove clients old nail varnish, may be you should not do this job anyway!

Sorry if it makes someone upset, just my point of view!

No I would charge to soak off enhancments, this post is getting way off the point I was making. Some techs I know will not even tough another persons nails unless they are there own work, same with hair extensions and eyelash extensions, and if I wanted them done they would charge to remove, but hey this was not my point:grr:

No I would charge to soak off enhancments, this post is getting way off the point I was making. Some techs I know will not even tough another persons nails unless they are there own work, same with hair extensions and eyelash extensions, and if I wanted them done they would charge to remove, but hey this was not my point:grr:
I know this wasn't your MAIN point but...
On the subject of some therapists/techs not even touching another therapists/techs work I think it's a case of, 'more fool them then', because that client will go to another tech who will do the work and probably gain a new client and be richer for it.None of us can afford to be so narrow minded.JMHO

ps I would always charge for even one soak off,time is money.As for the removing polish,well it's less time spent on their pedi/mani as I said.For me I would rather remove my own polish,but there are a lot of old or disabled etc clients who cant get down to remove their own polish off their feet.

Last edited:
OMG!

I think Nataliya was using nail enhancements as an example....

As for me, yes, I would think that taking polish off is a part of my services... in fact, I have never even thought about it NOT being a part of my services until now...

It's interesting to see how different each and every one of us value themselves and their businesses..

I think Nataliya was using nail enhancements as an example....

As for me, yes, I would think that taking polish off is a part of my services... in fact, I have never even thought about it NOT being a part of my services until now...

It's interesting to see how different each and every one of us value themselves and their businesses..

Yes but I was not talking about Enhancments I was talking about a situation I had found myself in lately, so why use that as an EXAMPLE when I was talking about weeks old enamel layerd on the types of clients you know whom dont look after there toes,and EXPECT it to be removed not even an apology and no sorry they dont pay for that, yes I do remove a new/exsisting old clients enamel but it does not mean I dont find it annoying or cheeky, it was one time as I was really pushed for time and fed up(not clients fault I know and you would never know) I asked clients as they say there and waited would they mind removing it for me and they all were happy to do so to make service quicker for them and myself,

I am of the frame of mind that I would not dream of walking into a salon knowing full well I am having minx, shellac, gel applied and not bother to remove my weeks old enamel,,,but hey obviously I am one of the only few whom think this. I was asking how everyone else felt, when I go for my eyelashes, tan I get asked to remove all make up, I wouldnt dream of sitting there and EXPECTING them to start removing it for me, same diffrence is it not???

And I value myself and my business very highly thankyou flower:suprised:

And I value myself and my business very highly thankyou flower:suprised:

I never said you didn't. I said it's interesting to see how each of us are so different in the way we value and run our businesses.
And of course you value yourself very highly, we can all see that.

You need not get so defensive. I didn't say what you are doing is right or wrong.
Take a chill pill Katiebaby. Everyone is different. Each to their own.

I never said you didn't. I said it's interesting to see how each of us are so different in the way we value and run our businesses.
And of course you value yourself very highly, we can all see that.

You need not get so defensive. I didn't say what you are doing is right or wrong.
Take a chill pill Katiebaby. Everyone is different. Each to their own.

I agree with flower. Everyone is different. You seem a little upset that others opinions are different to yours. But, it is just that, different opinions as there always will be. Some of them are quite strongly put but try not to take it personally :hug:

I havent really got any problem with removing polish myself although i have had a couple of slightly more irritating clients with 3 colours on top of each other which seem to take forever to remove!!! The last one was pink red and then navy blue, all over the skin as well as the nails :( Just have a gallon of remover prepared :D:hug: xxxx

Latest posts

Back