Shellac removal - something's changed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my gosh ladies, I've been saying this since opening up again last August!!! I was to believe it was my application and not putting the removal pads on properly!!!

I love Shellac but I hate removing it!

But it should be like this!! I never used to be. This is one of its key selling points "Easy on, Easy off" hhhmmm don't think so, not at the moment.

Geeg, can you comment on this at all?

I will not let clients remove their own shellac anymore because of the mess of their nails they make.

This is another reason I'm switching more and more to opi :irked:

Today on my own nails, I filed of the top coat to see if that helped the soak off, I still ended up with a couple that had residue base coat that I had to re soak. I recently changed to NR instead of D Solve because I couldn't find D Solve on S2. I thought that was causing it. ???

Last edited:
I use regular old acetone and CND romver wraps. Coming off absolutely fine.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well im doing another removal today, Im going to be up against it though as the lady would have gone 4 weeks tomorrow!

I am going to use d-solve and left it soak for 10-15 mins and go from there.

I will report back!

Well im doing another removal today, Im going to be up against it though as the lady would have gone 4 weeks tomorrow!

I am going to use d-solve and left it soak for 10-15 mins and go from there.

I will report back!

Ok ladies, I used d-solve and left for 15mins (5 mins longer then I would normally using Acetone - since 10mins was causing me a problem).

Im pleased (I think - even though it taken me longer) to say that it game off like a dream! It slid off and just needed a pad soaked in scrubfresh to wipe remaining bits off.... just like before, except its taken me longer.

Next time I shall do the same but with nourishing remover!

Ok ladies, I used d-solve and left for 15mins (5 mins longer then I would normally using Acetone - since 10mins was causing me a problem).

Im pleased (I think - even though it taken me longer) to say that it game off like a dream! It slid off and just needed a pad soaked in scrubfresh to wipe remaining bits off.... just like before, except its taken me longer.

Next time I shall do the same but with nourishing remover!

Awesome thanks for getting back.
I just purchased d solve in my order today. Thinking the NR deffo not strong enough...maybe thats just good fot vinylux etc xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

How long have people been having trouble, is it weeks or months?

Karaxxx

How long have people been having trouble, is it weeks or months?

Karaxxx

Mines been since I bought a new bottle of NR so only a few weeks, before this new bottle NR removed perfectly x

When I first started trying to remove shellac it was difficult - but I put it down to my base coat application...now I have had a bit more experience I find it a doddle to remove. I believe the secret is in the base coat application also I have only ever used wraps and Dsolve.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I am glad I found this thread as I have been having issues also! However those clients who are religious with their solar oil the shellac removes easier than those who apply solar oil sporadically.

I am glad I found this thread as I have been having issues also! However those clients who are religious with their solar oil the shellac removes easier than those who apply solar oil sporadically.

Absolutely agree :)

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I stopped using the nourishing remover pretty much when it first came out as after a couple of uses I found the Shellac wasn't coming off as quickly/cleanly as with acetone.

It smells better and I like the branded bottle but it's not something I would buy again with the current formula.

But it should be like this!! I never used to be. This is one of its key selling points "Easy on, Easy off" hhhmmm don't think so, not at the moment.

Geeg, can you comment on this at all?

What do you mean it should be like this?

I haven't noticed a change in removals but I do dislike the nourishing remover as I find it leaves a sticky residue.

If you are unhappy with NR or feel it has changed be sure to report it to sweet squared and cnd as its the best chance of it getting fixed!

I'm the same, iv been using NR and struggling, I now use d-solve, still finding it difficult but I now wrap the nails in a towel and I will put a wheat bag on top!! Finding that a lot better! X

Well I've had enough of Nourishing Remover now... Give Up! It's taking far too long I've ran over all day today with removals taking too long! Such a shame...something has defiantly changed? I've persevered for long enough with it now. Going back to acetone unfortunately, even my Clients have been noticing it's taking much longer nowadays? So they are all happy for me to go back to acetone as I've explained there seems to be an issue with it??

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Another one who's experienced similar issues with the conditioning remover. I use Gelish and switched to the nourishing remover as it's cheaper than the Harmony remover but I liked the fact it still had the conditioning agents that D-Solve and acetone don't have.

I actually think it might be down to the fact that if you don't get the timing spot on the conditioning remover seems to evaporate much quicker and the gel polish re-hardens. I wrap tightly, use a wheat bag underneath the fingers to warm them slightly and never experience the problem with D-Solve or the NH remover.

Seems to me that the longer you leave the conditioning remover on the harder the removal becomes.

When I first started trying to remove shellac it was difficult - but I put it down to my base coat application...now I have had a bit more experience I find it a doddle to remove. I believe the secret is in the base coat application also I have only ever used wraps and Dsolve.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I think you may have a point. My base coat brush had 'gone funny', sort of splayed out and separated in the middle, but as I didn't want to waste product, I have tried to continue using it, and as a result I think my base coat application has suffered. I may have been applying it too thick and may well be the reason I had suddenly had soak off problems. I have now bought a new base coat and gone back to DSolve so fingers crossed, problem solved.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back