Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi guys,

would you charge a client for shellac removal if you haven't applied it?? I have a new client that would like removal and a shellac manicure. I normally don't charge for shellac removal but as I haven't applied the shellac there could be a possibility that its not shellac atal.

Your advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Alison xxx

Yes I would charge to remove it definitely...if it is shellac and doesn't take long to remove then I would probably charge an extra £5...if something else that takes considerably longer I would probably charge £10.. Really depending on the time and effort involved! x

Just a sideline here, but why wouldn't you charge for Shellac removal if you had applied the product? I'm of the mindset that the CND Shellac remover wraps, acetone, orangewood sticks, scrubfresh, wipes and solar oil all cost money, not to mention my time. You have to replenish those products so why wouldn't you charge?

Even if I applied a client's Shellac, I still charge her $10 to remove it. Just a suggestion.

That's really interesting, does anyone else charge/not charge for removal? X

As a standard yes I do charge for a removal on a re-shellac, £5.00 on top of my shellac manicure price,which is £25 colour £28 french,but at the minute I'm running a special offer colour £20 french £23 and free removal when a re-shellac appointment booked at normal rate :) Hoping to pull in some more clients,and I may be doing recommend a friend with shellac,but still un-decided still :) If it's a removal without a re-shellac then I charge £10 but this includes a classic manicure.

To the o.p yes I would charge a client to remove,especially if I hadn't applied in the first instance,as it may not even be shellac,there's been threads on here recently where the tech has found that it's not been shellac they were removing even though the client thought it was,it's your time,plus the product costs :)

Last edited:
I'm new to Shellac, but was planning to charge for removal, unless it was a returning client and they were re-shellacing. As for something I hadn't applied, yes I would definitely charge.

I'm new to Shellac, but was planning to charge for removal, unless it was a returning client and they were re-shellacing. As for something I hadn't applied, yes I would definitely charge.

But Belle, why wouldn't you charge for removal? You still have products to replenish....removal wraps, acetone etc. plus your time. Even if were just $5 to replace product?

I always charge for removal even if they have had it done with me and are having it reapplied otherwise I feel u wud lose out, the wraps and acetone on there own are not cheap so I can't really understand how anyone can make any money if there not charging for it :) xxx

But Belle, why wouldn't you charge for removal? You still have products to replenish....removal wraps, acetone etc. plus your time. Even if were just $5 to replace product?

This is why I love this forum! I just assumed it was "the done thing" not to charge extra! Maybe I need a better business head! :wink2:

This is why I love this forum! I just assumed it was "the done thing" not to charge extra! Maybe I need a better business head! :wink2:

Me too! I think I may have to start charging! I had offers through July so my clients are expecting to pay more in august anyway.

You learn something new everyday here too!! Love it! X

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

The reason I don't charge removal normally with returning clients is it incurages them not to sit and pick it off and I will remove it correctly so they are getting the full benifit from shellac. Also most salons around my area its free removal.

Alison xxx

Me too! I think I may have to start charging! I had offers through July so my clients are expecting to pay more in august anyway.

You learn something new everyday here too!! Love it! X

I think what it is is that we're thinking that since the client is having the Shellac re-applied, the removal is part of the re-application process. In reality it is a completely different service altogether and incurs another cost. With Shellac as popular as it is, think of the number of packages of remover wraps, the bottles of acetone, solar oil and scrubfresh and the other supplies you'll go through...it gets costly. No matter what you charge...be it $5, $8 or $10, it should be enough to cover not only your supplies but also your time.

I think what it is is that we're thinking that since the client is having the Shellac re-applied, the removal is part of the re-application process. In reality it is a completely different service altogether and incurs another cost. With Shellac as popular as it is, think of the number of packages of remover wraps, the bottles of acetone, solar oil and scrubfresh and the other supplies you'll go through...it gets costly. No matter what you charge...be it $5, $8 or $10, it should be enough to cover not only your supplies but also your time.

Yep totally agree,at the end of the day,the items to remove are still coming out of your pocket,so you need to charge accordingly,my special offer is until August the 13th after this then all my prices will revert to normal and I have already stated my normal prices on my website/facebook and my leaflets and eeveryone is happy with this:Love:

So how do you all word this in your price lists? Something like....
Manicure with Shellac £xx
Removal of Shellac £xx
Removal of Shellac and reapplication £xx

? Xx

I've built removal time and costs into my price for shellac. The very first time a client comes to me the extra cost on my price covers the cost of a mini solar oil, all subsequent times the cost covers the removal. If they just wanted removal I would charge £10 which would include a file, shape and clear polish. If they wanted cuticle work etc done then I'd charge more.

Mine is worded simply
Shellac manicure xxx
Shellac removal and re-application add £5.00 to Shellac manicure rate
Complete Shellac removal £10 etc
My clients are happy with what the prices will be after my special offer :)

I word mine as shellac manicure £xx price includes a mini solar oil for 1st application, and removal for all subsequent applications.

Great, thank you. Want to make sure I word it correctly when the time comes to have my price lists printed :)

I think offering free removal if they are having a repeat Shellac treatment makes great business sense.....they are more likely to have the repeat Shellac and they will need to come back to you again!
I built the removal cost into my pricing from day one. If they are not having another Shellac treatment they pay for removal, so I then make more money anyway :)

I think offering free removal if they are having a repeat Shellac treatment makes great business sense.....they are more likely to have the repeat Shellac and they will need to come back to you again!
I built the removal cost into my pricing from day one. If they are not having another Shellac treatment they pay for removal, so I then make more money anyway :)

Exactly ,
You Shuld be counting, products, pep , application , and removal into your treatment cost and then reflect this into the price of each shellac treatment,

If the client is coming to you from else wear tell them there initial removal will be at a cost and after that will be free with each re shellac.

Latest posts

Back