Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade mcgoo

Reaction score
Hi.

So today I had a new client and all ready has Shellac on apparently! Buffed top coat off left it for 10 mins peeled off but I felt like there was still base coat still on and when like an acrylic when tryed to buff it off with nail file. So then applyed gel remover wrapped the fingers with with cotton wool tin foil then done Eyebrow and lip wax and started nails again. Went back to nails scrapped it of but when I was pushing down on cuticle pusher her nail plate was coming off on bits nails where so thin as well. So I advised the client to use cuticle oil and I but a normal base coat on to hard her nails.
My client didnt look to happy at all 1hr 45 mins and all I had done was a removal Eyebrow wax & lip wax she also wanted a bikini wax but I couldn't do it as my other client turned up and have a room from my house with no waiting areaasked her is she would be happy to wait 10 mins but said no.

So for the nails she was telling me it was Shellac they used in the salon but I work with Shellac every day and it come off so easy. But it makes you look like an idiot and you don't no what your doing when it's clearly not CND Shellac
Do you think I have done the wright thing as I adviser's to use cuticle oil with she did buy. Anyone e

Clearly not Shellac, as we know it, but more likely to be an unknown system applied quickly and inexpensively at a discount salon.

Regular cuticle oil application recommendation, as well as one to come back to you for CND Shellac application in the future, is the best you could have offered in the circumstances.

Clearly not Shellac, as we know it, but more likely to be an unknown system applied quickly and inexpensively at a discount salon.

Regular cuticle oil application recommendation, as well as one to come back to you for CND Shellac application in the future, is the best you could have offered in the circumstances.

Thank you I just hate it makes you look absolutely rubbish at your job. she bought cuticle oil but didnt look happy at all nothing else I could do she seen the nail plate peeling off I showed her etc. Thank you for reading my post and putting me at easy. Hate letting clients down xx

It doesn't sound like Shellac , by CND.
So many people call any product that is put on their nails Shellac, its just common these days when they really have no idea or they say 'that's what the nail tech called it'..... yes even nail techs are guilty of this.

When I have new clients contact me I ask a few questions: do you have anything on your nails at present, if so what is it? (some don't know so I ask more questions about how it was applied & did they put their hand into a lamp, did it come from a bottle or pot). I then ask them what they would like done for their service and how long they would like their nails to be, explain different services if necessary. I find spending a bit of time asking a few questions can help me to assess the situation better and give a better idea of time frame for them and also for me when booking them in.

If they really have no idea what is on their nails I will advise them I am happy to assess when they come.
I always advise there may be extra costs involved depending on what the product is, for eg if they come with MMA it will take a long time to remove.

I also had a similar experience and it turned out she had indeed CND colour but her base was from Indigo ultra strong base gel.

I’m sorry to jump in here but have just seen a video of CND shellac removal on Instagram and when the foil was taken of there was literally not one scrap of polish on the nail. This was repeated on 4 other nails. Is this actually how it comes off?! I’m talking not one scrap! Apologies again for crashing your thread but sure your experience will be able to answer me x

I’m sorry to jump in here but have just seen a video of CND shellac removal on Instagram and when the foil was taken of there was literally not one scrap of polish on the nail. This was repeated on 4 other nails. Is this actually how it comes off?! I’m talking not one scrap! Apologies again for crashing your thread but sure your experience will be able to answer me x
Yup, as long as you apply it properly (thin base) and then leave it for the appropriate time.

Shellac is one of the easiest gels to get off, I start with the pinky one one hand and work my way to the other one and by that time pretty much the whole lot has come off

I've started to refuse to remove gel that I haven't applied. I got the idea from fellow geeks. We've been ambushed a few times with tricky removals and clients with nails in poor condition.

At first we thought if we took care of clients with trashed nails they would love us forever - but what we find is that clients only remember the long treatment time, the discomfort, their awful nails - and they don't come back to us as we expected.

We don't see these clients returning for 2-3 week appointments which is the only reason from our point of view to accept an exhausting and stressful removal. So now we just say no to gel removal, unless it's ours.

Thank you for replying! I feel I’ve got to try it now but haven’t had training so wonder if I could buy it?

Opi gelcolour is like this too! Lovely, literally flakes off the nails when you unwrap the foil, gives me such a joy!

Anyway, as duchess says, I now refuse to remove other people's work, such a waste of my time!

When I first qualified and was still inexperienced with nails I agreed to remove 'unknown' gel and it took hours. Worst thing was I totally forgot to charge for removal! I was there three hours and charged £20!

Thank you- I have speeded up my removal time a lot but the idea of it just sliding off! It was pure magic to watch. I know I can get OPI on eBay to try but don’t think I can get CND, would like to trial them both. Appreciate your reply

Thank you- I have speeded up my removal time a lot but the idea of it just sliding off! It was pure magic to watch. I know I can get OPI on eBay to try but don’t think I can get CND, would like to trial them both. Appreciate your reply

Please don’t resort to eBay to buy these products, there are plenty of opportunities to trial them at the beauty shows which take place up and down the country.

You can buy quite a good selection of both brands from the various online wholesalers. It's quite easy to open an account with your qualification certificate or proof of student status.

I don't like buying OPI at trade shows as they only bring a few colours - you don't get to see the full selection even if you're interested in having a trade account.

I had a rep visit and she showed me her nail pops - ooh gorgeous, but I had to choose there and then which I found impossible. Too many colours to choose from.

Now I look up blog reviews online to get a good idea about new colours.

Thanks girls the clients never got back in touch so she must have thought I was the rubbish at my job you won some you loose some. Wee are only trying to teach people what wee thing is right and that's all wee can do!!. Thank you so much for all your Impuf it's much appreciated I love salon geek for help ♥️

You can buy quite a good selection of both brands from the various online wholesalers. It's quite easy to open an account with your qualification certificate or proof of student status.

I don't like buying OPI at trade shows as they only bring a few colours - you don't get to see the full selection even if you're interested in having a trade account.

I had a rep visit and she showed me her nail pops - ooh gorgeous, but I had to choose there and then which I found impossible. Too many colours to choose from.

Now I look up blog reviews online to get a good idea about new colours.
Thank you for the advice too!

astonandfincher are doing a 20% off deal until midnight Monday 29th July. They sell both OPI and CND.

astonandfincher are doing a 20% off deal until midnight Monday 29th July. They sell both OPI and CND.
Thank you- will check them out now!

Latest posts

Back