Shellac Rockstar Nails - Two coats of top coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_rhi

Reaction score
Hi guys. I did these AMAZING rockstar nails on myself last night using Gotcha and pink glitter that I pressed into the sticky layer of my second coat of colour.. I applied top coat and they look fab but I have noticed today a few of the specks of glitter have come off, leaving a little indentation in the colour. The glitter pieces are those little round dots. They still look great but I was thinking could I perhaps do a second coat of top coat to make sure they are secure? Or would that make them too thick and they would lift/peel? What are your thoughts to make the glitter stay in place?

I would do only one coat of Colour and two top coats, works perfectly for us. Just make sure to keep the coats thin :)

For Rockstar, I do 1 base, one color, brush glitter into the sticky layer, brush off excess with a semi stiff brush, then top coat. I've not had any problems doing it this way. HTH! :)

For Rockstar, I do 1 base, one color, brush glitter into the sticky layer, brush off excess with a semi stiff brush, then top coat. I've not had any problems doing it this way. HTH! :)

Do you cure again when you've put the glitter into the sticky layer? Does the brushing with a stiff brush before topcoat stop glitter getting onto the top coat brush?

I've only just started with Shellac and usually do all my rockstars with clear s/o gel and no colour coats & always cure the glitter into the gel which is why I'm a bit confused with this other way, but it sounds great! xx

Do you cure again when you've put the glitter into the sticky layer? Does the brushing with a stiff brush before topcoat stop glitter getting onto the top coat brush?

I've only just started with Shellac and usually do all my rockstars with clear s/o gel and no colour coats & always cure the glitter into the gel which is why I'm a bit confused with this other way, but it sounds great! xx

I don't cure the glitter after applying since I'm applying to a cured layer. Brushing with a stiff brush just gets off excess glitter and makes the surface smoother.

I took a hint from my SG family and keep a separate top coat for glitter applications. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run! ....Little stray pieces of glitter showing up in another wise perfect non-glitter Shellac manicure....Grrrrrrrr

After the one color coat, I cure, then brush the glitter into the sticky layer. No need to cure after this step. After I brush off the excess, I've not had a problem with glitter in my top coat. HTH! :)

I don't cure the glitter after applying since I'm applying to a cured layer. Brushing with a stiff brush just gets off excess glitter and makes the surface smoother.

I took a hint from my SG family and keep a separate top coat for glitter applications. It'll save you a lot of headaches in the long run! ....Little stray pieces of glitter showing up in another wise perfect non-glitter Shellac manicure....Grrrrrrrr

Thanks! great idea about the extra topcoat just for glitter, however I'm a bit financially challenged at the mo.......... xxx

After the one color coat, I cure, then brush the glitter into the sticky layer. No need to cure after this step. After I brush off the excess, I've not had a problem with glitter in my top coat. HTH! :)

Thankyou! Will defo give it a go xxx

Thanks! great idea about the extra topcoat just for glitter, however I'm a bit financially challenged at the mo.......... xxx

My friend was in the same spot you're in. She brushed the glitter real well and then before putting her brush back in her top coat, she dipped it in alcohol and wiped it off to make sure no glitter went in the bottle.

Pain in the a**? Yes....but it preserved her top coat until she was able to save her pennies to buy a 2nd bottle.

The other thing I've noticed about Shellac Rockstar; if you do you glitter over something light, that gives you one look. Putting the glitter over a color gives another look.

For example; Orange glitter over Negligee give you an orange rockstar nail but orange glitter over one coat of Blackpool, gives a nice Halloween nail. Subtle Halloween but nice. :)

My friend was in the same spot you're in. She brushed the glitter real well and then before putting her brush back in her top coat, she dipped it in alcohol and wiped it off to make sure no glitter went in the bottle.

Pain in the a**? Yes....but it preserved her top coat until she was able to save her pennies to buy a 2nd bottle.

This is a good idea has i'm saving the pennies for a glitter top coat x

Ditto.

I also like to do a quick wipe on a paper towel to make the glitter not so abundant in my top coat. And YES YES YES to two top coats. I also always lightly file tips to remove rough glitter after applying and curing first top coat. The two top coat layers insure two things: a completely smooth finish, and a secure seal after filing the rough tips.

Latest posts

Back