Shellac science is very cool-to understand it, is to know how to use it

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
SHELLAC SCIENCE IS VERY COOL ……………..

TO UNDERSTAND IT, IS TO KNOW HOW TO USE IT RIGHT

Better science makes better products.
Shellac goes On like polish, Wears like gel and Removes in minutes!
Shellac is hypoallergenic and 3-FREE containing no Formaldehyde, Toluene or DBP.

Have you wondered WHY the technology behind Shellac is a true industry breakthrough; just what is it about Shellac that makes it a new category of nail colour, completely new science, and in a league of it own?

The formulation of solvents, monomers and polymers is what has resulted in a true industry breakthrough. Remember those things, solvents, monomers and polymers because these things are what make Shellac a true HYBRID product and understanding these things is the absolute key to how Shellac works.

Shellac stands miles apart from others in the market with the science and testing to back it up. Nail professionals who participated in controlled BLIND testing in the field said unanimously, there’s no comparison … not even close. Shellac was tested for 5 years before going to market … you can completely trust its performance.

Let me help empower YOU the nail professional with the following support information about how and why Shellac works.

SHELLAC TECHNOLOGY

Shellac is the first ever true “Hybrid” UV nail colour. “Hybrid” means a combination and in this case specifically, a combination of gel technology, polish technology and NEW technology developed especially for Shellac. Remember those 3 words again? …..

Shellac goes on like a polish because of the solvent blend in the formula that contributes to the viscosity and the flow. Like polish, when the solvents evaporate off after application, a film is formed on the natural nail. This film reaches full cure with exposure to UV light, using the CND UV Lamp (or Brisa Lamp). Shellac forms ionic chemical bonds to the natural nail for firm adhesion during wear. Different to nail polish, Shellac has the ability to self level, making it even easier to apply than many polishes and gives it “ridge filling” properties that add to a mirror-like smooth finish.

Shellac colours (particularly the heavy pigmented colours) are very sensitive to proper cure. Be sure each THIN layer cures for a full 2 minutes.

Each Shellac colour coat shade is uniquely formulated, allowing proper cure. If colours are mixed, the precise ratio of reactants will be ‘skewed’ and optimal cure may not be achieved. Protect your shellac colours from light and air and always keep the lids tight.

Shellac wears like gel because of the monomers and oligomers in the formula that contribute to the toughness, protection and completion of its cure.

The formulas are based on IPN (Interpenetrating Polymer Network) and cross-linked technology for beautiful protection and toughness. The polymer also encases the pigment for streak-free, even colour and coverage. Once each layer is completely cured in the CND UV Lamp, Shellac is completely dry with no further dry time required.

Shellac comes off in minutes because of the unique polymers in the formula that contribute to the quick release from the surface of the nail. When it comes time to remove shellac, the polymers help release the coating in a tidy, efficient and safe way.

HOW SHELLAC RELEASES FROM THE NAIL

After Shellac is applied, the solvents begin to evaporate out of the polymer, which continues during the UV cure process. As the solvents evaporate out, they form tiny tunnels throughout the coating from the base layer all the way to the surface of the nail (imagine a Swiss cheese or a Crunchie bar) In between these tunnels small sheets of polymer are formed that resemble the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle and bond securely to the natural nail.

Shellac is removed by exposing it to Acetone for 10 minutes. The Acetone penetrates down and around the perimeter as well as through the tiny tunnels of the coating to begin to break it down from the inside as well as the edges. Finally it penetrates down to the base layer where the Acetone breaks down the “quick release” polymers allowing shellac to be removed from the natural nail. The 10 minute removal time is the “travel time” for the Acetone to penetrate all the way through the coating down to the base layer.

Using CND Nourishing Remover or D-Solve will lead to the fastest release of Shellac from the natural nail. If you use ordinary product remover it can take up to twice as long, as the percentage of Acetone in the product remover is less than that in D-Solve or CND Nourishing Remover.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Shellac must be used in a complete system and that system includes the CND UV Lamp to cure Shellac.. Each fully cured layer in the process contributes to the system’s cumulative success.

Now that you are armed with the knowledge behind Shellac you will be able to understand WHY, if you use more than the stated number of coats of Shellac it will take longer to remove it.

Why, if you use the product too thickly it will possibly wrinkle and not be as tough or flexible as it should be and will also take longer to remove.

Why, if you push the wear time to longer than 2 weeks you can no longer guarantee that Shellac will perform as promised and it will take longer to remove.

Why if you try to infill Shellac it will no longer perform as promised and it will take much longer to remove it.

Why if your client puts polish over Shellac and then removes it, the remover will start to penetrate and break down Shellac.

Why you must always use the Shellac Base Coat over the entire nail right to the side walls or the colour coats will not stick to the nail.

Why you must always use the Shellac Top Coat and never leave out any part out of the system.

Why if the natural nail is saturated with Acetone after removal your Shellac Base Coat will break down and will peel off.

Why Shellac should not be used like a gel.

Why it is not necessary to use Shellac over enhanced nails although you can.

Why you should use the system the way CND instruct you to use it and not go playing with the chemistry.

Why you should only ever ‘layer’ and never ‘mix’ Shellac colours.

I hope this Class has helped. Thank you CND.

Last edited:
Brilliant geeg thank you for posting this, what would we do without you?

Really interesting, I love to know the details, knowledge is so empowering :D
You are indeed a goddess :hug::hug::hug:

Last edited:
Very informative as always, I dont know how this happened but I managed to forget to put a top coat on of of my client's hand (did the right hand but not the left) so she texted me to say its dull! aarrghhh i had ten clients back to back so maybe my brain was de-shellaced by the end of the night!!

But its going really well thank you geeg, we couldnt have done it without you:hug:.

I am waiting for my d-sperse, fedora and tutti fruitti, its so frustrating that my polishes has run out. If I had known how popular it would be i would have ordered the large shellac store rack!! Roll on end of June,.. xxx

Thankyou Geeg, interesting to know about mixing colours. Been trying some variations but not actually applied on a client , Thankfully.

Thank you for posting Gigi.

Makes a lot more sense when you know the chemistry behind it.

I will switch from using the CND Product remover, I didnt know that it took twice as long to remove it :o

Brilliant, as usual. Thank you so much for posting this. I may forgo my Shellac coverage pink experiment as I think that will be too many coats.

Thanks, geeg! :hug:
You can try it (I would) ... just don't expect it to remove as quickly and work thin for every coat. Can't hurt to try it. OR you could use a coat of Romantique and then do your white then top coat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for this. Got my first paying Shellac client tomorrow and I am now armed with all the information I could need.:)

true marketing genius ! divedeneds!!!!

As this is an hybrid,is it recomended you have prior gel training or can any lil ol l+p tech have a go ? :wink2: X

Anyone who knows how to do a real professional polish can have a go because that is how Shellac applies. x

If I'd have read this in the beginning, I wouldn't have been asking about mixing last week:rolleyes: Thankyou Geeg.

Fantastic Post just what I was looking for . Thanks Geeg your a super star :hug:

Well I love being a superstar to someone!! lol

Thank you so much for the information, invaluable really. This does however, explain why my husband thought I was off my rocker when I told him I was putting shellac on my nails. He is a carpenter/joiner and in his world shellac is a finishing product used on wood (like a kind of varnish) but is derived fromm beetle poop!:lol:!!

Thank you so much for the information, invaluable really. This does however, explain why my husband thought I was off my rocker when I told him I was putting shellac on my nails. He is a carpenter/joiner and in his world shellac is a finishing product used on wood (like a kind of varnish) but is derived fromm beetle poop!:lol:!!

Indeed, but in America the word Shellac is synonymous with a durable hard super shiny surface coating. :lol:

I love this! I read it all the time.
I have been asked loads why Shellac is so special, lik eit needs any explanation, but hey this helps so much. :biggrin:

Can only repeat what others have said. Brilliant article! All the complexity of a science paper, but written in a way that made it easy to understand. Thanks Gigi, loved reading this.

Latest posts

Back