Shellac soak off and re-apply timings help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahhh123

Reaction score
Hi! I've not long been doing shellac but have had a few clients coming back for a new set after 2 weeks. Ive asked the girls in the salon to book an extra 10 mins to soak off on top of the half hour taken to re-do. The girls have done this for me but I'm finding the shellac is taking 10 mins to soak off, but for some reason my total treatment time is taking about an hour! Am I taking too long? I've been a therapist for 5 years.

The shellac itself doesn't take me long -about 25 mins/half hour but the total thing is like an hour. Should be what, 35 mins for soak off and reapply and 10 mins for cuticle work file and scrubfresh? Do I need them to book me an hour? I dont want to take forever to do this!

Also, does anyone charge extra for the soak off?

Thanks girls! Xx

I am ABSOLUTELY baffled by your post hun....
How the hell can a RE-SHELLLAC take anyone an HOUR????
Your shellac should take 30 MINUTES (MAX)**INCLUDING** cuticle work/scrub
and removal WITH SHELLAC REMOVAL PADS is 10 minutes max....
IS IT DEFINITELY SHELLAC YOU ARE REMOVING???
Are you using shellac topcoat or another brand of topcoat??
Because MOST OTHER BRANDS of gel polish need a slight buff BEFORE soaking/removing...
Also to be blunt hun...if you are anything like me....the more i talk the longer a treatment takes,lol...
With nails you get used to working and talking at the same time..just takes practise....
In regards to removal cost you have to add on the cost of the removal pads(if you are not using these..why not???they are great and really does speed up removal)...I just charge a few pounds more for a re shellac BUT charge £10 for removal alone...then really it works out cheaper to keep having it redone
Hope this helps hun and hope i havent offended in anyway
x

It is def shellac I'm using, and I use the shellac remover wraps. Maybe just me being slow then, but I always seem to run over

It is def shellac I'm using, and I use the shellac remover wraps. Maybe just me being slow then, but I always seem to run over

Your probably being over careful and meticulous which is taking you longer, the more you do the quicker you get... and I'm sure your not the only one taking an hour for a re-shellac... Infact I'm sure I read somewhere it taking someone an hour to shellac from scratch....

I allow 45 mins to re-shellac and I'm happy with that :) xx

I take about 45 minutes for a re-shellac but have certainly been known to take longer on clients I get on well with... i have a habit of gas bagging too much then! :lol:

You will more then likely find your time will naturally come down as doing it becomes second nature- where you dont have to think 'whats next' and your pep will likely be quicker on regular clients.

Retailing solar oil and cutical eraser will enable them to do their bit in maintaining their nails, meaning your work is easier, therefore quicker. :hug:

A soak off doesn't take 10mins in my opinion, u need extra 5mins or so to get the product off after it's been soaked afterall, I book an hour and normally have 10mins to spare but sometimes take the full hour it depends if the client has bad cuticles/ wants their nails shorter etc but I would rather have the spare 10mins than run late! I personally couldn't do a soak off and reshellac in 30mins without rushing... As long as ur happy with the job you're doing I wouldn't worry or put urself under pressure! Xx

I also allow an hour, I work alone so the time I greet get soaking choose colour apply take money and see client out tidy up......... 1 hour ready for next lady arriving and start all over again........... I DO HATE TO FEEL RUSHED.......this works for me.............:)

A soak off doesn't take 10mins in my opinion, u need extra 5mins or so to get the product off after it's been soaked afterall, I book an hour and normally have 10mins to spare but sometimes take the full hour it depends if the client has bad cuticles/ wants their nails shorter etc but I would rather have the spare 10mins than run late! I personally couldn't do a soak off and reshellac in 30mins without rushing... As long as ur happy with the job you're doing I wouldn't worry or put urself under pressure! Xx

I totally agree hun. XX

I also allow an hour, I work alone so the time I greet get soaking choose colour apply take money and see client out tidy up......... 1 hour ready for next lady arriving and start all over again........... I DO HATE TO FEEL RUSHED.......this works for me.............:)

I'm with you! :)

You're so right! :)

How the hell can a RE-SHELLLAC take anyone an HOUR????
Hope this helps hun and hope i havent offended in anyway
x
Ouch! that's a little rude imho......

I generally take about an hour to re shellac/gelish.....I am very confident that I have done a fantastic job and my clients are very happy with the work I have done. I moved about 18 months ago and ALL of my clients followed me to where I am now (which is at least 30-40 min drive) a couple tried other places and weren't happy with the results and came back to me, so tbh I have no issues with the time I take and neither do my clients.

Ouch! that's a little rude imho......

I generally take about an hour to re shellac/gelish.....I am very confident that I have done a fantastic job and my clients are very happy with the work I have done. I moved about 18 months ago and ALL of my clients followed me to where I am now (which is at least 30-40 min drive) a couple tried other places and weren't happy with the results and came back to me, so tbh I have no issues with the time I take and neither do my clients.

I agree that poster Was rude and needs to tone it down IMO.
I take roughly an hour to soak and apply shellac but like you I take my time and my application is immaculate this is what keeps my clients xx

Thanks I always try to do my best and won't let them leave til I'm happy, so if it takes me that long it takes me that long :) xx

Thanks I always try to do my best and won't let them leave til I'm happy, so if it takes me that long it takes me that long :) xx

If it takes you an extra 10-15 mins to do a job your happy with then that's fine, your clients will appriciate you taking your time and being extra fussy (like me! My clients think I have OCD but they keep coming bk so I'm guessing it's not a problem!)
If it's taking you 2 hours then I would say you have a problem and need to speed up lol xx

what part of NO OFFENCE do some of you not understand...

THERE WAS NO OFFENCE MEANT BOTTOM LINE....as stated...but as usual, on here, everything anyone ever says gets taking out of context if there is a difference of opinion..which why after having been a member on this site since 2004(and ran my own nail bar,with staff, for 5 years)..i dont post often

perhaps i am being TOO HARD ON MYSELF THEN....regarding the shellac

because I PERSONALLY can NOT AFFORD to take an hour doing a RE-SHELLAC...
end of the day yes it is a pampering service but I AM RUNNING A BUSINESS

or perhaps then i need to put my prices up...because i charge £25 for a re-shellac???

I WASNT BEING NASTY....just wondering how it could take an hour to re-shellac???

what part of NO OFFENCE do some of you not understand...

THERE WAS NO OFFENCE MEANT BOTTOM LINE....as stated...but as usual, on here, everything anyone ever says gets taking out of context if there is a difference of opinion..which why after having been a member on this site since 2004(and ran my own nail bar,with staff, for 5 years)..i dont post often

perhaps i am being TOO HARD ON MYSELF THEN....regarding the shellac

because I PERSONALLY can NOT AFFORD to take an hour doing a RE-SHELLAC...
end of the day yes it is a pampering service but I AM RUNNING A BUSINESS

or perhaps then i need to put my prices up...because i charge £25 for a re-shellac???

I WASNT BEING NASTY....just wondering how it could take an hour to re-shellac???

I think again your slightly over reacting, also there's no need to shout.
Nobody said you were nasty either ?!

yeah well i tend to take being called "rude" personally.as i myself can not stand rudeness
and my caps was purely to emphasis my point..not shout,lol

yeah well i tend to take being called "rude" personally.as i myself can not stand rudeness
and my caps was purely to emphasis my point..not shout,lol

Sorry maybe I should have typed "no offence" after rude!
I think in text talk it's easy to take things the wrong way...
I genuinly don't want to argue with you, my post was a genuine response to the posters problem.

cool..long week...hormones...little sleep :hug:

I think sometimes things can be taken out of context on here. I'm sure nobody meant to come across as rude and was genuinely trying to help.
Anywho...to the OP, as with everything we do practice makes us perfect. If you are happy with the job you are doing, don't pressure yourself to work faster. Book out that hour and when you start getting quicker then great, you can book out 45 mins (or whatever) instead.
I hope that helps :)
Rhiannon x

Latest posts

Back