Shellac staining natural nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noreenoconnor

CND Education Ambassador Cork
Reaction score
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1465044218.301456.jpg

So weirdest shellac removal ever, I used shellac in red baroness 3 weeks ago and removed today to find natural nails had stained??

Asked the usual did you come into contact with any strong solvents or sun cream etc but no

Has this happened to anyone before? Very strange

Clients nails do peel at tips but otherwise healthy and have never been buffed?

Yes, I have seen exactly this with hot chilis colour. Vinylux can also do it too in this shade.
At the time I thought it was because the client's nails had been buffed prior to application but now I think it is actually the product.

The affected client takes various medication so it could be that her nails are more porous??

This was red baroness , I have seen staining with hot chillis in vinylux but never shellac

my client does take a lot of medication for various things , but I'm not sure if it's that to be honest. Doug Schoon says very few medications actually make a difference to the natural nail

I feel like a newbie arrggghhhh

I've seen it with both vinylux and shellac hot chilis . Can't comment on red baroness as I don't stock that one.
No problems with any of the others reds though.
Strange...

I've never come across it, and I use a lot of Red Baroness. Are her nails extremely dry? Would it buff off with a light sponge block?

I've never come across it, and I use a lot of Red Baroness. Are her nails extremely dry? Would it buff off with a light sponge block?

I use red baroness all the time on clients and have never seen this happen

I suspect it would buff off it , it looked like it was just the very top layer however I couldn't buff this clients nails as the tips are really prone to peeling and she had shellac done at a different salon where they buffed her nails and her nails were awful for ages , so understandably she is anti buffing

I guess I'd chalk it up to her nails being previously compromised.

I guess I'd chalk it up to her nails being previously compromised.

the damage is grown out [emoji85] I'm genuinely stumped

I've never had this issue with red baroness, sometimes when I've used it a pink tinge is left but I've just soaked a new wipe in remover and it's come off [emoji55]

I don't know why it happened, but would be curious if a few minutes of Cuticle Away would lift the stain.

UPDATE:

So I'm after searching high and low for an answer to this riddle, and thanks to the wealth of knowledge that is Doug Schoon I think it's solved :)

Too thin a base coat, and too thick a colour coat has left the coating undercured so pigments from the shellac have moved through the base coat and stained the nail. Red baroness was nearly empty so I think this is why it's gone on too thick to cure properly , it has certainly made me more aware of replacing my colours more regularly (and I'm usually very good!)

apparently dark reds are the worst for staining so I shouldn't have gone so thin with the base coat to give nails the best protection.

Hope this can help someone else ;)

Latest posts

Back