Shellac three coats of colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

June Ost

Reaction score
I have been giving Shellac Manicure now for about a year and have not encountered any problems that I could not deal with. Yesterday I had new client who after two coats of Tropix said she could see through it (so could I slightly, her nail tips were very white). She said that previous technicians had always put three coates of colour on. Originally she was also going to have VIP Gold as finishing touch before top coat. I explained that normally I would apply two coates of colour as if applied too thickly could cause shrinking. I did, however, apply a thin third coat of Tropix to keep her happy (very nice they looked too). Does anyone apply three coats of colour or indeed had any bad feedback from similar experience? I am also aware of the cost implications of using three layers of colour if doing this more frequently. Thank you any comments would be appreciated.

Three coats of color will be OK.

When layering, you sometimes have to do two coats of the first color before layering with the second color. HTH! :)

When someone has long nails with quite a white free edge I usually do three coats of Tropix. Same for Gotcha. I have had no issues doing this, just keep them nice and thin x

Thank you ever so much for your speedy replies which are all very useful, now I feel ok about it:)

I havent personally done three coats but I do know other nail artist's that do and have to problems with it... you still get the full 2 weeks coverage :)

Yes 3 coats are fine, I've even done 4 before not including base and top and all was fine xx

i have to use 3 coats of Tropix and sometimes Fedora - no problems incurred so far...

HTHs

I use 3 coats of tropix I find it's to see through otherwise.and also with Blackpool too.Xx

I use 3 coats of tropix I find it's to see through otherwise.and also with Blackpool too.Xx

shake your bottles really well before every use to properly mix the solvents and the pigments together. when properly mixed you won't need 3 layers):D

At the moment I am wearing 5 different gelish colours on my nails.
I am wearing the neon colours and I have 5 coats of the yellow, green and orange and 4 coats of the pink and purple. They are not thick at all.
I needed that many coats as they are quite transparent.
I guess it also depends how thick you apply your coats.
Mine are applied very thin.
Last time I had the neon green on all my nails and I had 4 coats and I had them on for 2 and a half weeks with no chips at all.
With most colours I only need 2 coats but if they need more then I will have more.

I have never used Tropix and NOT had to do 3 coats of colour... I find the consistency much thinner than other colours.
I also find it shrinks back a lot, by the time you have painted all the nails on one had the first nail has pulled back, I combat this by brushing over the nails one last time with an almost dry brush before going straight under the lamp.

I usually use three very thin layers when I do my own nails. I just feel like that extra layer gives my weak-ish nails some extra strength (I could be imagining this). Since it's just for me, I don't care about the extra layer, but I can imagine that if you were to do this with every client it would defo add to the time/cost.

When layering I mostly do three coats, eg 2 fedora and 1 hot chillis. Im worried about the cost adding up too, wish shellac would bring out more colours instead of all this costly and faffing palava with layering.

When layering I mostly do three coats, eg 2 fedora and 1 hot chillis. Im worried about the cost adding up too, wish shellac would bring out more colours instead of all this costly and faffing palava with layering.

you can charge extra for layering. i would rather layer, than buy 100s of different colours)

I haven't thought about the extra cost of the third layer (not only in terms of polish but also in terms of the time) when layering and I'm thinking that to phrase the pricing as :

x% off or $x off for 'basic' 2-coat colors (this would be the original colours)
and then the 'regular' price for layered 3-coat colours.

might work better than saying you charge extra for most of your colours.

I think worrying about the cost of an extra layer is a bit un-necessary. We all know how much it costs to buy a bottle of Shellac and we all know how much we charge our clients for the full service. I think (if you have your Shellac service priced correctly) that providing an extra layer of colour is more than accounted for in your costs and you should still be making a great return on this service.

I also use 3 coats for tropix and no problems either. Out if interest what do u all charge for a shellac file and paint and shellac mani. We charge £20 for f&p and £30 for Mani. Seem right to you...?!

Latest posts

Back