Shellac: unreasonable client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why why why?

Nails don't breathe! If they did they would drown every time you put them in water.

SOOO funny!! Can just imagine the little screams everytime I wash my hands thinking they are going to drown!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

SOOO funny!! Can just imagine the little screams everytime I wash my hands thinking they are going to drown!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

LMFAO!

Blossom, I get this all the time. Clients' want to discontinue their Shellac service because it's ruining their nails. Their nails have become dry and brittle and they swear they're using their Solar Oil every day. It's not possible.

I tell them straight out that I know they're not using their Solar Oil because Shellac doesn't do the kind of damage I'm seeing if they're following the proper after care. They're damaging their own nails.

But like Gigi stated, this client seems the type that isn't going to listen no matter what you say. Pass her on.

if she's been getting her nails done every 3 weeks for the past 6months and there was no problems how can she suddenly have one when she goes to a new tech.

sounds like the new tech has dissed your services to gain a client.she'd want to be able to back that up with quality work or your lady will be back to you. (if you'll have her)

Isn't the breathe thing just a figure of speech? As in having a rest? That's how I see it anyway!

Anyhow I wouldn't worry about your client, she will be back. Shellac helps my nails grow without breaking or chipping, sometimes they still get occasionally dry, but wearing shellac allows them to stay strong and healthy, every time I leave it off for a little break (breather!) without a doubt, at least 2 of my nails will snap off within a few days. If they do "shellac" for £8 and she does decide to go there from now on, she will realise how good her nails actually were when coming to you, once she has something to compare it to! She will be used to having nice nails now so has probably forgotten what her nails were like before! And why she kept coming to you in the first place!

Isn't the breathe thing just a figure of speech? As in having a rest? That's how I see it anyway!

I think the point is that nails do not 'need' a break - providing good application, removal and homecare is adhered to regardless of the service.

its a fact covering the nails for long periods of time does do some harm no what product you use . And its about covering tour back so you don't get these type of customers .

And just to add...as professionals it is our job to educate our clients and should therefore not be encouraging the myth that nails either need to breathe or that they need a break.

I don't think the "breathe thing" is just a figure of speech, and if it is WE as professionals should not be using it.

Having a breather is not the same as saying 'let your nails breathe for a bit'. I would not say either in case it caused confusion (which it does). Just tell clients the plain and simple truth! The truth is always the best policy.

its a fact covering the nails for long periods of time does do some harm no what product you use . And its about covering tour back so you don't get these type of customers .

Can you explain the 'harm' that is caused?

I think you all need to grow up rather than take the piss out of people . No wonder why you have customers coming back at you . You need to be a bit more professional and maybe have a science lesson

I think you all need to grow up rather than take the piss out of people . No wonder why you have customers coming back at you . You need to be a bit more professional and maybe have a science lesson

Not sure who "you all" is referring to or why you think anyone is taking the piss out of "people". Perhaps you would like to be more specific. Who is your post even directed at?

Are you seriously questioning Geeg's knowledge?

How do you breathe? Lungs right? Your nails do not have lungs. Period.

Um, Hairtangled, I'm not sure anyone here is "taking the piss out of you".... I've read the whole thread and don't see it that way.

You claimed that nails need to have a rest/breathe every so often, and were challenged on this by Geeg, who said this was factually incorrect. A few people then pointed out that letting the nails breathe was a misleading term, which admittedly was a bit of an aside, but I don't think was meant personally against you.

You then stated again that covering the nails for a long period of time "does do some harm no matter what product you use", and the next person to reply merely asked what evidence you have for this statement.

If you have some evidence, or can refer to a specific article or source to support your belief that covering nails causes harm over time, then I'm sure everyone would be genuinely interested to hear it. But if you can't back up your claim, then I don't think you can really suggest that everyone else "needs a science lesson"....

Maybe pm whoever you think is taking the pi** as now it looks like you mean everyone on this thread! X

Maybe pm whoever you think is taking the pi** as now it looks like you mean everyone on this thread! X

Great thread but seems its getting personal, so yes as Lila says, maybe a pm better? X

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

whoa bad time to join this thread, I thought that post came out of no where and what's with the language!

There's a huge amount of science behind being very good at nails and advising on nails and I'm pretty sure Geeg of all people would know what she was talking about! I don't think people were taking the mick out of you, just out of the statement in general. Re read the thread and chill a little.

Back to the OP I hope you sort it out with the client and she realises shes packed in a good thing. Im sure she will after shes shelled out 8 pounds a few times and realises its most likely not even Shellac!

Actually, this IS NOT FACT. There is no scientific basis behind it. This is a common misconception. Bad nail techs, bad products and poor aftercare damage nails. Conversely, a good nail professional, top quality products and proper aftercare will protect your nails.

I wore enhancements on my nails for 11 years straight with NO residual damage and I do mean absolutely NONE. My nail tech was a true professional who used top of the line products and taught me how to care for my nails. When I soaked off my acrylics after those 11 years, my nails were in beautiful condition.

I don't know you, but this was really uncalled for. And trust me, we're old pros here. We know the science. But from your comment I quoted above, with all due respect and no offense intended, it's sounds as if you're the one in need of a science lesson.

Um, Hairtangled, I'm not sure anyone here is "taking the piss out of you".... I've read the whole thread and don't see it that way.

You claimed that nails need to have a rest/breathe every so often, and were challenged on this by Geeg, who said this was factually incorrect. A few people then pointed out that letting the nails breathe was a misleading term, which admittedly was a bit of an aside, but I don't think was meant personally against you.

You then stated again that covering the nails for a long period of time "does do some harm no matter what product you use", and the next person to reply merely asked what evidence you have for this statement.

If you have some evidence, or can refer to a specific article or source to support your belief that covering nails causes harm over time, then I'm sure everyone would be genuinely interested to hear it. But if you can't back up your claim, then I don't think you can really suggest that everyone else "needs a science lesson"....

Good post. I would welcome the Science lesson (always eager to learn more) ... :green:

Perhaps it would be better if I gave it.

Nails are just like hair is so many ways. Essentially what we see is non living material made up of primarily Keratin. :green:

The nails do not breathe they cannot be fed with anything and in fact there are only a very few things one can do to nails; you can moisturise them, clean them, exfoliate them and that is about it (same with hair).

Hair is damaged every day by over shampooing, colouring, glueing things onto it, bleaching etc. So .. what do we do to counteract all the effects of over processing? We put things onto it to make it feel better, look glossier, untangle the mess, make it shine, lift the roots etc. None of these things is a permanent cure to the problems but is masks them.

With nails what we do to them, (as I said clearly in my post) also causes some dehydration .. of course it does, if we didn't dehydrate the nail plate to remove oil and contamination from the surface, nothing would stick to it ... the good thing is that oil can be replaced every day with good home care and it doesn't just mask the problem, it actually fixes it.

Nails can be thinned and weakened by bad practice, bad technicians, bad products that need aggressive techniques to make them work .. but none of these thing has to happen if one uses good quality products, has good education and keeps the health of their clients nails upper-most in their minds at all times.

Pretty simple science really. Unless of course, the poster has anything else to add?

Gracias, Ms. Gigi.

Just read this thread, Blossom, like others have said, I personally would let this one go. Unfortunately she wasn't gracious enough to tell you that she wanted to go with another tech, the new tech to gain a client is moaning about you. The nails speak for themselves, you need to let it go and worry about the clients who listen to you and love what you do. Of which I'm sure there are many. :hug:

And thanks gr8nailz and Geeg, as a newbie (in training at mo), it's very easy to get confused on here, it's good when things are explained properly and then make sense.

I would suggest to any other newbies...spend a little time reading the threads, look at profile pages and you will get to know the difference between people who really know their nails and those that don't. It's all part of the training/learning experience!! :) xx

Latest posts

Back